Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't imagine a PK4 doing so good handheld, hmm interesting.

A lot of the first footage from the camera was hand-held and had that shaky look. I'm not a fan of it (which is why I got the GH5) but it's an aesthetic that some people like I guess. It also depends on how shaky you are, if you practice a lot then you can get gimbal-like results from lens IS, but you'd have to work at it.

I think working out what aesthetic elements you like and don't like is a big part of film-making. I've worked out that I don't like non-stabilised hand-held, but I do like wide apertures, wide DR and the inaccuracies involved with MF are also kind of charming in a human/imperfection kind of way.

It's an art after all, not a science :)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, kye said:

A lot of the first footage from the camera was hand-held and had that shaky look. I'm not a fan of it (which is why I got the GH5) but it's an aesthetic that some people like I guess. It also depends on how shaky you are, if you practice a lot then you can get gimbal-like results from lens IS, but you'd have to work at it.

I think working out what aesthetic elements you like and don't like is a big part of film-making. I've worked out that I don't like non-stabilised hand-held, but I do like wide apertures, wide DR and the inaccuracies involved with MF are also kind of charming in a human/imperfection kind of way.

People need to learn how to grip dslr like cams for smooth shots. There are so many techniques . The strap stretched with a pistol handle. does the trick

Got my cam today FINALLY!. not bad for a 1 month wait.

20181204_184804.jpg

12 hours ago, kye said:

i'm with you i'm not a fan either! 

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but the electronic gimbal flying look gets old as hell quick also. I guess moderation is the key either handheld or on a gimbal.

i should elaborate, i sit, i stand, i lay down, i turn around everything appears pretty smooth to my eyes,i would expect my eyes and other senses to report shaky footage only in the event of an earthquake or stupidly standing in the middle of a boxing ring or crashing a motorbike (no don't ask about the motorbike) i feel it should be the same with video footage, smooth . i hear what your saying about the look and moderation. which ever way you skin this cat, handheld, gymbal, steadicam, crane/jib, whatever method you use, make it smooth it will look more natural to me and will hold my attention longer . isn't this why they put image stabilization on lenses and cameras to help make things smoother. take the hero 7, they are selling hypersmooth there might be a few other improvements but its the hypersmooth their selling.

i dont want to rant, and i confess i'm as guilty as the next bloke when i watch my stuff and think i what the hell was i doing there 😲.

conversely for those interested, there could be an emerging market with the younger generation not sure what they feed kids these days however if shaky footage and cutting to a new scene every second and a half is your thing then i reckon you might be a hit with the kids 😜.

1 hour ago, Matthew Campbell said:

In the past two weeks at some point, my camera has started emitting a high pitch noise from inside, which my mic and shotgun mic both pick up. Anyone else had this happen? I'm going to have to contact BMD about getting it fixed. :(

No issue like this for me.

to me grading is the most important thing to get the cinematic look (of course filming is important too), would be interresting to see the same footage graded by the one who shot it and by a pro just to see how it can be improved

7 hours ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

That is some truly gorgeous footage! And apparently he shot that all with a Lumix 12-35mm f2.8? 

looks like he shot handheld with stab from the lense

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

got this today

well i don't have the camera yet but at least i won't have power issues when i get it

20181206_154758.thumb.jpg.e57c6216875e24f5a5a4baec48db8244.jpg20181206_154852.thumb.jpg.cc7132388de5845442d7da1701a3ee32.jpg

where did you get it from? Is it for MBP4K use? Does it includes the right cables? How many volts output?

If its the mini socket you need (I'm presuming to connect a mic with a 3.5mm jack on it?) then you can get a regular one like this to a full size xlr

MagiDeal 3.5mm (Mini) 1/8inch Stereo Female To XLR Male Adapter Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CY2J3DT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_6gKcCbK33Q34Y

And then use an XLR to mini XLR adapter .

Incidentally for anyone looking for ready made XLR to mini XLR cables, BM themselves do a kit for the video assist that has 2 of them in it for about £30

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/blackmagic-design-mini-xlr-cable-for-video-assist-4k-set-of-2-195?gclid=CjwKCAiA0ajgBRA4EiwA9gFOR_ywjdHoW_RfaATfXT5pS_A-1--6PWuKCVuxWMNT6M0XyjsRsZtFBRoCEUEQAvD_BwE