Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys,

i'm bad at math and i don't really get the focal lenght of my lenses with a 0.7x focal reducer on the bmpcc 4k.

I have a samyang 12mm micro 4/3,  if i get it right in this sensor it will be a 23 mm more or less

a Nikon 20mm 2.8, a 38-39 mm without focal reducer, with the focal reducer it would be a 24 mm, am i right ? 

if it's like that, wouldn't make much sense to buy a focal reducer...

1 hour ago, boukmanmutt said:

Hey guys,

i'm bad at math and i don't really get the focal lenght of my lenses with a 0.7x focal reducer on the bmpcc 4k.

I have a samyang 12mm micro 4/3,  if i get it right in this sensor it will be a 23 mm more or less

a Nikon 20mm 2.8, a 38-39 mm without focal reducer, with the focal reducer it would be a 24 mm, am i right ? 

Multiply per x0.7 + x2, you'll have your 35mm equivalent.

24mm (once in your first example, you won't be able to use a focal reducer) and 28mm respectively for both glass cases you mention.

Don't forget you'll have one full stop more of light at least.

1 hour ago, boukmanmutt said:

Hey guys,

what Emanuel said or just simply multiply what every you have with a factor of 1.42 (even through in case of the bmpcc 4k it's more like 1.3) to get the 35mm ff equivalent. 

Best camera accessory for 2018 in Newsshooter web site is the Atomos Ninja V.

"While cameras today are finally giving us 10-bit 4:2:2 internal recording, the codecs are still very hard to edit with and you will end up transcoding or working with a proxy workflow. Stick a Ninja V on that camera and retain 10-bit but with a much better ProRes option."

Do you see where I am going with this?!

13 minutes ago, Jim Giberti said:

The camera has arguably the best interface available in a small or large camera and it's incredibly fast to use on set or on the move.

4k ProRes HQ is pretty ideal and we edit it remotely on macbooks all the time.

People who are actually using it seem to be pretty much blown away by both the camera and it's IQ.

I've been loving RAW 4:1. Super easy to work with.

Pairing the Pocket 4K with some good vintage glass is pretty blissful. There's been a lot of talk about how it looks more digital and modern than the previous BMD cameras - and yeah sure, I guess it's not as organic and grainy as the 2,5K. But throw on some c-mount glass or a speedbooster and old Pentax stuff and the camera sings. Haven't used it with this kind of setup on a production yet, (it's playing second fiddle to the Ursa Mini and been on a gimbal on about half a dozen shoots now) but I'm just having a lot of fun taking it on a walk and just taking some throwaway nature shots. It's something I used to do back when I used the 5DMK2 regularly, and I'm happy it has revitalized that habit again.

pocket_1_72.1.thumb.jpg.0437de0e01a20850a7f3530bb23e2189.jpg

This was taken with the speedbooster and a Pentax 35/2.3 M42 lens on a cool winter afternoon. One of my favourites due to the very distinctive, oil painting-kinda way it renders out of focus areas and the transition between them and in-focus areas.

1 hour ago, Ehetyz said:

Pairing the Pocket 4K with some good vintage glass is pretty blissful. There's been a lot of talk about how it looks more digital and modern than the previous BMD cameras - and yeah sure, I guess it's not as organic and grainy as the 2,5K. But throw on some c-mount glass or a speedbooster and old Pentax stuff and the camera sings. Haven't used it with this kind of setup on a production yet, (it's playing second fiddle to the Ursa Mini and been on a gimbal on about half a dozen shoots now) but I'm just having a lot of fun taking it on a walk and just taking some throwaway nature shots. It's something I used to do back when I used the 5DMK2 regularly, and I'm happy it has revitalized that habit again.

This was taken with the speedbooster and a Pentax 35/2.3 M42 lens on a cool winter afternoon. One of my favourites due to the very distinctive, oil painting-kinda way it renders out of focus areas and the transition between them and in-focus areas.

What specific speedbooster did you use to mount the Pentax M42?

2 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

Pairing the Pocket 4K with some good vintage glass is pretty blissful. There's been a lot of talk about how it looks more digital and modern than the previous BMD cameras - and yeah sure, I guess it's not as organic and grainy as the 2,5K. But throw on some c-mount glass or a speedbooster and old Pentax stuff and the camera sings.

Correct. People have no idea what they say.

E : -)

4 hours ago, TurboRat said:

What specific speedbooster did you use to mount the Pentax M42?

I picked up the one that was most readily available from local dealers, which was the Zhongyi lens turbo 2. It's an EF speedbooster and I just have simple M42-EF adapters on my M42 lenses (those adapters cost like 5-10 euros a piece). I think the lens turbo does a boost of 0,74x or something like that, essentially turning it into a Super35 crop. I found it to be optically good enough to mount a Samyang 24/1.4 or a Sigma 18-35 1.8 without noticable aberrations or degradation.

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@Ehetyz I have a set of FD and M42(Pentax/Helios). Do you need an IR filter?

What gimbal?

I haven't seen any need for an IR filter at least so far - though so far I haven't used it in really extreme circumstances (ND+heavy sunlight) - it's the period of polar night after all. In any case, I think these new blackmagics are way better about IR pollution than the 2,5K.

I use a Zhiyun Crane 2 currently. It's... okay. The first setup was a doozy, but it carries the P4K well. Requires a baseplate though due to how wide the camera is. It's the first gimbal I've owned and takes some getting used to. Definitely different beast than an oldschool steadicam, but way more pleasant to use than a full-size Ronin. Not 100% happy with my gimbal skills yet but I'll get there eventually.

https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80960#p448594

Or something like this?

https://www.gridaccessories.com/products/grid-5-0-viewfinder/

; )

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well this is what you are probably going to have to use to get a BMD viewfinder to work on the PK4. Not a pretty sight.

EVF_o.jpg

LOL : -)

26 minutes ago, Ehetyz said:

(...) but way more pleasant to use than a full-size Ronin. Not 100% happy with my gimbal skills yet but I'll get there eventually.

As said to our Greek fellow, I'll be able to post in a few days the best solution for P4K IMO. Much better than any heavier other one indeed : -)

21 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

i was watching a lens on ebay a couple of months ago that had a similar look happening with the bokeh. only thing i remember about it was it had trioplan or diaplan as the lens description, that wasn't the brand, i think it was more the type of lens it was but they do give an interesting bubble like effect. do you have any video footage of it ? i'd like to see what happens when either the camera moves or the background moves

26 minutes ago, leslie said:

i was watching a lens on ebay a couple of months ago that had a similar look happening with the bokeh. only thing i remember about it was it had trioplan or diaplan as the lens description, that wasn't the brand, i think it was more the type of lens it was but they do give an interesting bubble like effect. do you have any video footage of it ? i'd like to see what happens when either the camera moves or the background moves

There's a couple of projects I've done with that lens and P4K/Ursa but they're not available online yet. Here's one where I used almost exclusively lenses with distinctive bokeh, however it was shot on the BMCC2.5K and 5DMK2 (ML RAW). In this one I used the aforementioned lens, Super-Takumar 50/1.4 and a Petzval 85/2.3 to max out the old film noir kind of feel.

On 12/30/2018 at 5:15 PM, Ehetyz said:

I use a Zhiyun Crane 2 currently. It's... okay. The first setup was a doozy, but it carries the P4K well. Requires a baseplate though due to how wide the camera is. It's the first gimbal I've owned and takes some getting used to. Definitely different beast than an oldschool steadicam, but way more pleasant to use than a full-size Ronin. Not 100% happy with my gimbal skills yet but I'll get there eventually.

Have you picked up a set of handles for the Zhiyun?

They work really well...make it a much more balanced gimbal to work with.