Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

You can lose information in the highlights, prores or RAW, once it is overexposed. But with the red channel, it clips without white creamy halo. The RAW post-processing allows you to bring down the saturation and give a highlight roll off. But if you do the same in prores, other parts of your image are going to be desaturated. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So they released the list of cards, drives that are officially supported:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support/

And I find it interesting that they say that the Samsung T5 does different flavors of RAW depending on size, like the 500Gb can not do as much as the 1Tb. Anyone understands why? I might go ahead and get those Sony SDs 128Gb. So expensive but I've decided to go with SD for on the run and T5 for actual projects.

56 minutes ago, TILT said:

I think it's the same on any Viltrox Adpaters.

The viltrox  doesnt have a lock screw as the threads are greased so you just adjust and it stays put. You can put some grease ( damping grease) in the metabones to do the same and do away with the lock screw.

15 minutes ago, Slothorp said:

Attached you can find some dng files taken from the test. And in the link below, you can download the same test but shot in prores. 

A002_10130258_C022_000225.dng

Blue 400 iso.dng

blue 3200 iso.dng

red 400 iso.dng

red 3200 iso.dng

Thank you very much.

It's a processing error just like with sony footage.

Switch to bmdfilm log and gamut on the raw tab, and add a gamut mapping node to convert it to rec709 with saturation and luma knee. The color will roll-off perfectly fine in all of the examples.

But.

With v3 colorscience (i have resolve 14) the hue is shifted from red to orange. Strange. Maybe v4 is more accurate.

FWIW, especially shooting in ProRes, I'd avoid shooting in Extended Video.

I did extensive testing with EV vs Film log and there's no reason to take the hit on DR...especially baking it in.

Monitor in EV if you like while shooting FIlm and then it's simply one step to apply EV in post which will look identical on scopes to EV in camera but with the latitide to get the full DR of the new camera.

Also, when shooting ProRes I don't bother with Resolve as FCPX is optimized for it and really fast  - even UHD, even on a MB pro.

Also, if using the EV LUT in FCPX, I've found dialing in to around 30% after balancing initially with the scopes is the sweet spot.

I agree with you that it's better to shoot in film log. But it's also a fact that the red clipping takes away the possibility of shooting in prores with a baked lut in certain situations, which should not be. And the only way to avoid the problem in prores, even if you shoot in film log, is to use resolve. You can't simply ingest your file in your favorite Nle, such as FCPX. 

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Does Anyone shoot Anything in normal speeds anymore? Jesus what is the deal with trying to see if Anything is worth a crap on a camera at 120p Slo Mo. Sam Peckinpah is alive and well.

My feelings exactly.  The 60/120p slow-mo is cool and all, but what about the 24p, 30p?  How about showing what it offers in 1080p.  One can only hope.

• Super Members

The trapped battery reports on BMC User are quite disturbing.

On the other hand, one of the people that it has happened to got his camera from CVP, which means they have at least shipped another one other than @Snowfun 's one so I'm now one further up the list.

So, swings and roundabouts and all that.

4 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Does Anyone shoot Anything in normal speeds anymore? Jesus what is the deal with trying to see if Anything is worth a crap on a camera at 120p Slo Mo. Sam Peckinpah is alive and well.

It's 'cinematic' ? But seriously, it helps smoothen the camera movement especially if you're just moving around the camera with no goal but yeah, slo mo has been the default for travel vids, wedding, etc

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

The trapped battery reports on BMC User are quite disturbing.

On the other hand, one of the people that it has happened to got his camera from CVP, which means they have at least shipped another one other than @Snowfun 's one so I'm now one further up the list.

So, swings and roundabouts and all that.

My batteries pop in and out easily enough.

I get enough practice...

11 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

How much more Dynamic range do you get in RAW vs Prores? 

I am kinda debating on whether to get the original BMPCC or the 4k version. Any advantages if I'll only be shooting in 1080p 30p?

The original pocket was really really bad in low light and battery life was terrible.

I can't see any advantages.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It's a trend that should die. Now.

38 Seconds of footage from the Pocket 4K. Just initial test. Will have a lot more soon! I will make this private in a bit but it's for those that wanted a bit of footage from Day 1. I'm not fan of the shakiness since we didn't have the appropriate gear, nor did we have the Wireless FF.

DNG 3:1. 24fps and 60/24fps, there’s some light DNR on some of the clips. 
Sigma 18-35mm Nikon with a Hoya ProND 8 (I put this on and forgot I had it on for the whole duration). Viltrox Nikon to m43 version. Ronin-S. 
4th Axis Stabilizer (Didn’t know how to set the tension at this point, next clips will be better!). Light warp on the beach clips.