Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10/17/2018 at 12:53 PM, Snuff said:

I will make this private in a bit but it's for those that wanted a bit of footage from Day 1. I'm not fan of the shakiness since we didn't have the appropriate gear, nor did we have the Wireless FF.

I read that as you telling us this info - but I guess it was just copy/paste the description from the original uploader. Either way, nice video whoever made it ?

11 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I read that as you telling us this info - but I guess it was just copy/paste the description from the original uploader. Either way, nice video whoever made it ?

It is my mistake, I should have put in quotes the author's text. I'm sorry.

22 hours ago, MattH said:

The GH5s 120p is clearly line skipped.  Evidenced by the jaggies.  That's how it avoids cropping.    A crop at 120fps when you are getting smooth details is really spoilt rich man problems.

Agreed. 120 and 240 fps from the GH5s are unusable for fiction due to the skipped lines. A nice thing to toy with but less more.

10 hours ago, MattH said:

Why did you choose to take stills with the pocket?

At the time I was asked to do photography for work I had already sold off my canon and I had already been working with stills from the DNG’s on personal projects so thought, what the hell, let’s try it. The client loved the images and decided to continue with me so I saw no reason investing in a stills camera. This was a couple of years ago, still getting photo jobs. And now going from 1.9Mb DNG to almost 13Mb is just less post adjustments for me. Win/Win! I’ve done product shots with the bmpcc too.

9 hours ago, Matthew Campbell said:

Threw together a quick video about the 8Sinn FULL CAGE First Impressions. 

I don't normally do these types of videos, it was shot on my Pixel 2. Used a LAV. Pretty basic.
https://youtu.be/eNFf2B4tCnY

Did you buy it from their website? I ordered  a week ago, payment went through right away and it said 4-5 day shipping. But looking today on order info it still says “processing” for me. How long did it take you to get it?

1 hour ago, Turboguard said:

At the time I was asked to do photography for work I had already sold off my canon and I had already been working with stills from the DNG’s on personal projects so thought, what the hell, let’s try it. The client loved the images and decided to continue with me so I saw no reason investing in a stills camera. This was a couple of years ago, still getting photo jobs. And now going from 1.9Mb DNG to almost 13Mb is just less post adjustments for me. Win/Win! I’ve done product shots with the bmpcc too.

Cool, well if they were happy with it, theres nothing anyone can say against it.  The only thing the Pocket4k doesn't have compared to stills cameras is mechanical shutter and flash.  In raw mode its more acurate to call it a 60fps electronic shutter stills camera with no buffer limitation than than it is a video camera.

2 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Did you buy it from their website? I ordered  a week ago, payment went through right away and it said 4-5 day shipping. But looking today on order info it still says “processing” for me. How long did it take you to get it?

I had a similar experience (albeit ordered soon after it was announced). I emailed them to ask for an approximate shipping date and it was dispatched immediately.

46 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

I had a similar experience (albeit ordered soon after it was announced). I emailed them to ask for an approximate shipping date and it was dispatched immediately.

Alright, I did send them a message on FB. Will try the email route as well, thanks!

JSFILMZ on YouTube has uploaded some nice sample footage as either RAW or ProRes, as well as some comparisons to the GH5s which might be interesting.
The footage looks amazing after grading.

Used a BM Pocket 4K film to Rec709 conversion via CST in Resolve at the very end.

Untitled_1.31.1.jpg

A013_10121734_C023_1518768.jpg

Download of the graded video:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SAkBhaRRXnWpKY6_b-lKRns9g13ICEMZ

Discounts on Smallrig cages:

https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-cage-for-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-2203.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw3qDeBRBkEiwAsqeO7lM4e2S4JqSYHeblhG5haph-_cbaIi_QtDrnfTE9K04kJn09neqBBhoCUnUQAvD_BwE 

$155 for Cage, handle, T5 holder and HDMI/USB-C clamps. Seems pretty good to me - If only I had a camera to put it on.

22 hours ago, mercer said:

Did BM change BMD Film, it doesn’t look as flat out the gate. 

Yes.

It's the next generation color science - Gen 4.

The "negative" coming out of the new camera in Film log is a lot easier to grade than from older cameras.

I dial in the EV LUT at 30% or so after basic color balance and it looks great.

22 hours ago, mercer said:

Did BM change BMD Film, it doesn’t look as flat out the gate. 

There are two parts to BMD Film, the log curve (gamma) and the "colour space" (gamut). The log curve is always optimized for the sensors dynamic range so the curve you get for cameras with different sensors will vary. Some will have more contrast than others. The gamut in previous versions would vary across cameras as well but with Gen 4 it is the same for any of our cameras using it and like Gen 3 it is more saturated to make it faster/easier to grade.

10 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Note shot it. :)

On 10/13/2018 at 8:00 AM, MattH said:

It's probably because a lot of people already have a GH5 so the question is do you get a Pocket 4k instead.  If the difference isn't anything that cant be overcome then the answer for most of these people will be no. (This probably also goes if you already have a GH5s but because its newer, far fewer people will be in this position) 

If you are choosing a new camera from scratch then the Blackmagic starts to make more sense.  But In this second case if things like a flipy screen and viewfinder appeal to you, it's likely that ibis will apeal to you also.   ibis is the GH5's trump card over the pocket 4k.  Get rid of that, like with the GH5s and it struggles to come out on top.

Yes lots of and lots of people own a GH5, but even more people don't own a GH5. Thus the comparison between the GH5 and BMPCC4K gets interesting. 

On 10/13/2018 at 10:21 AM, grex said:

I also thought with the invention of focal reducers, having the full frame look was achievable on a M43 camera? Are you against this?

FF? S35 is where it is at! And the MARS ("Multi Aspect Ratio Sensor") of the GH5S / BMPCC4K helps squeeze out a bit wider FoV. Which combined with a focal reducer gives you even wider than S35

11 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I did yes. For the most part I've been getting stuff from under a week from them. Ordered my SSD holder last Friday, should be here tomorrow or the next day.

I just put in an order for their BMPCC4K Metabones Support (which I was actually talking about in the video but messed up by making it sound like I was talking about the adapter itself), as the 8Sinn Universal Metabones Support doesn't work on this cage. Should be here next week I think.

Some RAW 3:1 .dng files from my test shooting yesterday. Fairly run and gun, didn't realize I was shooting in 60p, woops. Video is quite where I want it, but thought y'all might want to mess with some new pics. 

A002_09250617_C023_000102.dng

A002_09250629_C032_000103.dng

A002_09250630_C033_000042.dng

A002_09250737_C052_000064.dng

A002_09250739_C055_000863.dng

A002_09250741_C057_000123.dng

A002_09250743_C060_000161.dng