Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
48 minutes ago, matthere said:

Has anyone with the camera tried any wide/ultra wide lenses yet? There seem to be reports of some focus issues..

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22425-Soft-edges-with-wide-angle-lenses-on-the-BMP4K

That is really worrisome ! 😱 Because I actually had all my wide and not so wide shots, or all my infinity focus shots having softness issues all around the frame ! But as I shot everything with third party speedboosters (such as the Viltrox EF-M2), I thought that it was the cheap speedbooster as well as the slightly bigger m43 sensor that was the cause. I have no native m43 unfortunately to make a test. If it really is the camera’s fault, then it’s gonna be quite a bummer ! For us and for Blackmagic...

I will try an adapted lens with dumb adapter to see if it changes something. If not, I might be returning my camera. It’s a shame because the image out of it is so gorgeous !

And by the way, the lens IS doesn’t work with the viltrox EF-M2 yet. I hope a future firmware will correct it.

I also recently noticed the red orb discussed by someone else in a previous post. It can be bothering in prores :/

But so far it’s this softness issue in the corners that absolutely needs investigation !

I suspect that the over reliance of mft Pana and Oly lens on software auto correction will lead to some issues with this camera not having the built in autocorrect capability for those lenses.  The sensor glass thickness on this camera may be different to the standard mft thickness also. 

FF and or adapted lenses may in some ways be a better solution, the image circle being larger for FF, they are usually not designed to rely so heavily on auto correction for distortion, CA and vignetting.

Having said that no one so far has complained too much about the material shot (the distortion issues are there to see though) with some of the zooms i.e. the Pana 12-35mm f2.8.  Faster prime wide angle mft lens, like say the Oly 12mm f2.0 might show more obvious issues.  

Shooting in UHD rather than DCI might show a small improvement at the extreme borders also.

7 hours ago, Snuff said:

Shot on: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K (BMPCC4K)
Lenses: Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 and Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Resolution and codec: 4K DCI, RAW 4:1, 24P and 60p
ISO: between 400 and 3200.
Edited and graded on DaVinci Resolve 15
LUTs used: BMPCC4K film to extended video (from Blackmagic)
No grain added in post, No denoiser in post

that is awesome, i love it. this is what i come to the forum for, not endless comparisons with other cameras !                                                        i expected the brawley bmd footage to look great and it does, but i have been hanging out waiting for more real world samples and this is it and it delivers.

for the first 20 seconds i thought it was a bunch of stills until the house with the outdoor fire at sunrise (i presume)  that shot sold me, the rest is gravy as far as i'm concerned. sure there's some banding in the airplane shot but we all know youtube pretty much slaughters any video sent its way anyway

i feel the takumar holds pretty well and i,m much more confident the gear i have acquired for stills photography should work well with the bmp4k camera

i actually live in an agricultural area, the area has a lot of orchards and vineyards its inspiring to see this video. thanks to snuff i think for finding this and a big thank you to those who made it

you may now address me  as fanboy bmp4k 😀

MFT is the most versatile cinema mount you can find, so you can add from affordable native f/1.7 primes as for instance -- I've had reports 12-35mm f/2.8 is a good match for P4K as well. Both pretty affordable Oly 12-50mm f/3.5‑6.3 and Panny 45-175 f/4.0-5.6 offer you electric-powered zoom capability like you had a video camera in your hands. Without mention the Queen 18-35mm (I'm afraid longer focal length zoom won't make much sense once much heavier) f/1.8 coupled to a focal reducer where ends +1 to + 1 1/3 stop of gain and finally, those incredibly cheap C-mount pieces.

There's no other mount where you can add almost everything you want, even PL mount lenses via adapter. So you are in some special territory where you can even mimic something midway S35mm film and FF look as you wish : -)

10 hours ago, matthere said:

Has anyone with the camera tried any wide/ultra wide lenses yet? There seem to be reports of some focus issues..

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22425-Soft-edges-with-wide-angle-lenses-on-the-BMP4K

I downloaded a couple of pics, and if you correct the P4K shot to have the same FOV as the GX85, then the difference becomes small.

If you then notice the P4K is actually much sharper in the center than the GX85 (with both lenses !), I would start to think the P4K was actually in focus, and the GX85 not completely, making the difference at the edges less on the Gx85.

10 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

That is really worrisome ! 😱 Because I actually had all my wide and not so wide shots, or all my infinity focus shots having softness issues all around the frame ! But as I shot everything with third party speedboosters (such as the Viltrox EF-M2), I thought that it was the cheap speedbooster as well as the slightly bigger m43 sensor that was the cause. I have no native m43 unfortunately to make a test. If it really is the camera’s fault, then it’s gonna be quite a bummer ! For us and for Blackmagic...

I will try an adapted lens with dumb adapter to see if it changes something. If not, I might be returning my camera. It’s a shame because the image out of it is so gorgeous !

And by the way, the lens IS doesn’t work with the viltrox EF-M2 yet. I hope a future firmware will correct it.

I also recently noticed the red orb discussed by someone else in a previous post. It can be bothering in prores :/

But so far it’s this softness issue in the corners that absolutely needs investigation !

Did you set infinity focus on the Viltrox, that could be the issue. You need to turn the optical element inside to make sure infinity focus is correct. I have the Nikon Version and no problem on a Pana M43. Still waiting the BMPCC4k to try it on though. Maybe the Viltrox covers the sensor a bit too much. Their factor is wrong it is not 0.72x but a little bit more.

47 minutes ago, TILT said:

Did you set infinity focus on the Viltrox, that could be the issue. You need to turn the optical element inside to make sure infinity focus is correct. I have the Nikon Version and no problem on a Pana M43. Still waiting the BMPCC4k to try it on though. Maybe the Viltrox covers the sensor a bit too much. Their factor is wrong it is not 0.72x but a little bit more.

I’ll try tonight. I already did but the glass element wasn’t rotating. I might have to use more strength... I’ll also do a test with a simple adapter, no focal reducer. I’ll keep you posted.

I dit another test with a simple domestic RGB led (hence the flickering) to show how the BMPCC4K reacts in the red channel, both in raw and prores. With other colors, when overexposed, there is a gentle roll-off, but in the red, it clips with a very harsh way, and a strange color shifting. There is also much more noise in the reds. 

ISO 1250 is the WORST iso to choose to test the red clipping issue.    It is pulled 3200 iso, so even properly exposed it only has 2.3 stops of latitude above middle grey.  So of course the highlights will clip and look shitty.  ISO 1250 will be the number one noob trap on this camera.

Im more worried about the wide angle lens blurryness.  Yes, lenses have field curvature that is more aparent wide open and yes the Pocket 4k has a wider field of view that shows more of it, but that alone doesn't account for what the examples in that thread show.  It must be the sensor stack thickness also.  If stopping down to 2.8 doesnt resolve that issue then that is going to be a way bigger deal breaker than red clipping.

Well, if you don't want to show the red clipping, by preventing it with your exposure, you can. It is not the purpose of this test. The purpose is to show how the camera reacts specifically in the red channel, by comparison with other colors (and the problem is still there at 3200 iso). And I find it problematic in some situations : a night street scene, with its many red car lights will cause many problems, with disturbing hyper saturated  red blotches all over your image (whereas the greens, the blue and the yellow react normally). You can bypass it if you shoot in raw, but it will affect the entire image if you shoot in prores. 

25 minutes ago, Slothorp said:

Well, if you don't want to show the red clipping, by preventing it with your exposure, you can. It is not the purpose of this test. The purpose is to show how the camera reacts specifically in the red channel, by comparison with other colors (and the problem is still there at 3200 iso). And I find it problematic in some situations : a night street scene, with its many red car lights will cause many problems, with disturbing hyper saturated  red blotches all over your image (whereas the greens, the blue and the yellow react normally). You can bypass it if you shoot in raw, but it will affect the entire image if you shoot in prores. 

It will definitely be a problem if you ever shoot scenes with neon signs.

4 hours ago, TILT said:

Would you know if the Canon version works this way as well?

3 hours ago, Slothorp said:

I dit another test with a simple domestic RGB led (hence the flickering) to show how the BMPCC4K reacts in the red channel, both in raw and prores. With other colors, when overexposed, there is a gentle roll-off, but in the red, it clips with a very harsh way, and a strange color shifting. There is also much more noise in the reds. 

Yeah I think I saw some night shots with the red lights on the cars clipping but didn't see the noise. On your test the sudden noise was quite distracting. Hope Blackmagic addresses this

Looks like the stronger red lights have a tendency to get clipped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54153YyAUVY