Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Snuff said:

38 Seconds of footage from the Pocket 4K. Just initial test. Will have a lot more soon! I will make this private in a bit but it's for those that wanted a bit of footage from Day 1. I'm not fan of the shakiness since we didn't have the appropriate gear, nor did we have the Wireless FF.

DNG 3:1. 24fps and 60/24fps, there’s some light DNR on some of the clips. 
Sigma 18-35mm Nikon with a Hoya ProND 8 (I put this on and forgot I had it on for the whole duration). Viltrox Nikon to m43 version. Ronin-S. 
4th Axis Stabilizer (Didn’t know how to set the tension at this point, next clips will be better!). Light warp on the beach clips.

Light warp?

what a terrible resolution at 120 fps. I honestly can't get why an awesome hardware intensive codec packed cam cannot do BETTER (less crop and blurry) res at 120 fps. It is not a slow-mo cam I know (and also I don't really like the slow mo hype around) but seriously, it is useless.

18 minutes ago, wyrlyn said:

what a terrible resolution at 120 fps. I honestly can't get why an awesome hardware intensive codec packed cam cannot do BETTER (less crop and blurry) res at 120 fps. It is not a slow-mo cam I know (and also I don't really like the slow mo hype around) but seriously, it is useless.

I do not care about the 120frames but it really is a pity for this camera. The crop and therefore the loss in IQ is really a shame.

Yeah but what is crazy is the GH5s can shoot up to 192fps without cropping the sensor, anything above that up to 240fps it has a slight sensor crop. But up to 240fps! Impressive. So it is not the sensor in the PK4, it is a sensor processing problem. Too much data to handle I guess with it''s Codec.

I don't get why there is so much dislike for the GH5s on this site. It does just about everything you could want. You can put a Speedbooster on it and be a bit larger than s35. So it is a modern day, even better for slo mo camera than a Sony FS700 in a tiny package compared to it. And used they are damn near the same money. And FS700 Color Science is pretty damn terrible to be honest.

1 hour ago, wyrlyn said:

The crop is defined by the scan speed of the sensor.    120 fps means a frame every 8.33 milliseconds.  If the entire sensor cant be scanned in that amount of time then full sensor readout 120 fps is physically impossible.  The two options then are either to line skip the whole sensor or to do a full readout of a smaller proportion of the sensor.   The pocket4k has clearly opted for the latter.   I doubt the GH5 or GH5s have readout speeds of less than 8.33 milliseconds so if they have full sensor 120 fps then it is probably line skipped.

I cannot, for the life of me, think why someone would need a 120 fps slow motion shot of a still detailed wide city-scape like that in which 60fps wasn't adequate.   If you are doing 120 fps slow motion it is usually of something that is moving and thus detail is less important.   If detail is really important then simply play 60 fps at half speed.  In sports broadcasts they often achieve the slow motion by playing each frame about 3 times, and that looks smooth enough.   The original pocket didn't even have 60fps.  To me it just seems a silly ask to expect 4k detail 120fps full mft sensor from a camera of this price.

11 minutes ago, Slothorp said:

From the zoom in the pictures, it seems that the BMPCC4K has actually more resolution than the GH5S. The perceptible difference that leads us to think the opposite is due to the sharpening process in the GH5S that is not applied in the BMPCC4K. 

Looks pretty good to me. And this is Twice as fast as the PK4 can even do.

I agree that the GH5S is an excellent video camera, but for my needs, it seems that I rather prefer the P4K, especially for the money, and the Resolve license.

I repeat the fact that the price of the GH5S in Southern EU is almost double, and I do not care at all about its photo side.

6 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I agree that the GH5S is an excellent video camera, but for my needs, it seems that I rather prefer the P4K, especially for the money, and the Resolve license.

I repeat the fact that the price of the GH5S in Southern EU is almost double, and I do not care at all about its photo side.

Oh I can't deny that. But if a person is trying to made money at doing this stuff I don't see how anyone can buy a PK4 over a GH5, GH5s. The PK4 is just going to be too damn slow, clunky, fussy to use on paid gigs.

And you sure as Hell are not taking pictures on the PK4.

Just now, webrunner5 said:

Oh I can't deny that. But if a person is trying to made money at doing this stuff I don't see how anyone can buy a PK4 over a GH5, GH5s.

Better video quality, way better DR and no sharpening.
For non-narrative work the GH5s is fine.

20 minutes ago, Slothorp said:

From the zoom in the pictures, it seems that the BMPCC4K has actually more resolution than the GH5S. The perceptible difference that leads us to think the opposite is due to the sharpening process in the GH5S that is not applied in the BMPCC4K. 

You are right.  Looking at that Budapest clip the Pocket4k has more detail, but its smooth detail.  Look at the straight lines on the plynth of the column.   The GH5s has jaggies on straight lines.  It's false detail that is giving the overal impression of sharpness.   So this clip actually shows that the pocket is BETTER in 120 fps.    The only flaw is the moire on that guys shirt that is when zoomed in which is actually there because of the extra detail and is only really visible zoomed in.

9 minutes ago, deezid said:

Better video quality, way better DR and no sharpening.

And in what situation do you plan to be able to do that making money? Taking video of flowers in your back yard on a tripod? With no continuous AF you aren't do Doc, Corporate interview stuff, no fast moving stuff. Not unless you have a 7mm lens set to infinity at f16 and everyone looks like little piss ants LoL.

5 minutes ago, MattH said:

You are right.  Looking at that Budapest clip the Pocket4k has more detail, but its smooth detail.  Look at the straight lines on the plynth of the column.   The GH5s has jaggies on straight lines.  It's false detail that is giving the overal impression of sharpness.   So this clip actually shows that the pocket is BETTER in 120 fps.    The only flaw is the moire on that guys shirt that is when zoomed in which is actually there because of the extra detail and is only really visible zoomed in.

You are looking at ONE pretty piss poor video comparison. Hardly definitive evidence.