Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, jack86 said:

I thought the concert footage above looked good as well.  In the right hands the results are very nice.

I agree with comment that the ProAV video looked like video (due highlight handling).

I am hoping that when Blackmagic released the BRAW firmware update, the image will improve, like the image improved with USRA Mini Pro.

At this point I have not seen the same mojo that I was impressed with in first demo video I saw of the OG pocket - The One.  Warning: For those who have not seen it before there is one part that shows some nudity on the cover of a magazine, which may not be appropriate if you watch it in your place of work etc...

Yeah the original Pocket camera is a Very special camera. I see little of it in this new one. but time will tell. I don't think other than some 9000 dollar camera anything can beat the original one. They are that good if you have the skill. And in reality it wasn't that hard to do. There is LOTS of good stuff from them on the web.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah the original Pocket camera is a Very special camera. I see little of it in this new one. but time will tell. I don't think other than some 9000 dollar camera anything can beat the original one. They are that good if you have the skill. And in reality it wasn't that hard to do. There is LOTS of good stuff from them on the web.

Maybe it is implied, but I think the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k has equally good mojo and beats the OG Pocket in dynamic range, field of view and resolution and used, is less than the Pocket 4k.

50 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

Maybe it is implied, but I think the Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5k has equally good mojo and beats the OG Pocket in dynamic range, field of view and resolution and used, is less than the Pocket 4k.

I always thought the sensor was the same, and so was the dynamic range. The 2,5K was very good for getting a clean full HD with a OLPF filter. The sensor was 15.8mm wide, 3mm less than the Pocket 4K.

3 minutes ago, deezid said:

Looks good to me. 
(one scene showed some aliasing though)

Very nice.

7 minutes ago, MattH said:

That's more like it!

Where did you see the aliasing?

Looks a bit sharpened and reduced in noise to me.
Apart from that and thanks to the great compositions and color work it's one of my favorite clips yet.

You can see aliasing at the 0:41-0:42 mark at the railing. Though in comparison to the BMCC or even original pocket it's absolutely minimal and usable.

Happy to report that on Genuine Canon batteries, the battery meter is accurate and gives plenty of warning (percentage meter turns red) before shutting down. At 100% the cameras voltage meter reads 8.1V and then at 0% it reads 6.3V where it shuts down.

29 minutes ago, deezid said:

Looks a bit sharpened and reduced in noise to me.
Apart from that and thanks to the great compositions and color work it's one of my favorite clips yet.

You can see aliasing at the 0:41-0:42 mark at the railing. Though in comparison to the BMCC or even original pocket it's absolutely minimal and usable.

Dennis' eagle eyes... LOL ; -)

16 minutes ago, deezid said:

lol, wasn't there before. Good find!

At minute 0:45, it is also there. But blurred by the 720p version on YT, much less. And not visible at minute 0.41/0:42 depending on the resolution you have, so... As usual, blur is the key when the acquisition device has no OLPF.

GH5 also lacks OLPF, in any case here is an interesting comparison:

image.thumb.png.23ec076832512b4ebbad4b9e9b5605cc.png

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGTKBnbyxgM

I still have and love the original pocket, but does anyone else remember alot of the early footage from it? It was terrible! The good stuff was amazing, but much of it was worse than DSLR offerings at the time, mostly thanks to people being in over their heads with the grading.

So I'm reserving my judgement on the pocket 4K for a while. The early stuff looks solidly good, but I think the best is yet to come. 

On 10/4/2018 at 7:32 PM, Anaconda_ said:

Damn that's nice.  I'm surprised to see it's the 2.8 zoom, which I assume is like most modern lenses and doesn't have much flavour, which means it's the BM side that is where the magic is coming from.

On 10/4/2018 at 9:15 PM, DBounce said:

Does anyone shoot anything but slow-mo?

Not in camera tests.

I shoot my videos and hardly any shots are slow-mo, but they're real videos about content, not tests :)

On 10/5/2018 at 9:45 AM, webrunner5 said:

Wow tough choice. Some things one is better, then it is worse. Highlight roll off wins on the PK4. A lot depends on the grading skills. I am sure the GH5 is less of a hassle though. Doesn't look like they would be too good as a A and B camera together. Not unless the GH5 is being recorded in ProRes.No surprise on that point though. I am pretty sure with good Coloring skills the PK4 would be the winner, but how many have that ability. Somehow the original BMPCC seemed more goof proof to get it somewhat right. I think this looks a bit harder to do. It just seems to lack something. But way too early to tell. I am sure there will be tweeks to it from BMD. For the money it still is hard to beat, but at a slower pace than some of the new kids on the block. The XT3 looks like the winner for a fast turn around. Boy if it just had IBIS in it.

The wolfcrow comparison was interesting, showing the GH5 and P4K limitations compared to ARRI.  However, if you capture everything then I think it's up to the grade, and grading is a huge amount more difficult than most people on YT even understand. 

Just look at Juan Melara vs the YT colourists who don't grade high-end stuff - they don't even use the same tools!!

17 hours ago, leslie said:

i'm expecting an australian company would make a camera for australian conditions :)

Unlike Sony who build cooling system that assumes there's a blizzard blowing directly onto the camera body!!

13 hours ago, DBounce said:

Exposure looks different in those shots also. So there is that. Honestly, with a little care they would look pretty dam well indistinguishable. 

Agreed.  

So many camera tests where the person doesn't even WB and then the armchair pixel peepers extrapolate it to the moon!

7 hours ago, majoraxis said:

It's also a very similar size (width I think) so BM has been quite sneaky in allowing us all to still think of the size of the original pocket..

5 hours ago, dbp said:

I still have and love the original pocket, but does anyone else remember alot of the early footage from it? It was terrible! The good stuff was amazing, but much of it was worse than DSLR offerings at the time, mostly thanks to people being in over their heads with the grading.

So I'm reserving my judgement on the pocket 4K for a while. The early stuff looks solidly good, but I think the best is yet to come. 

The best is absolutely yet to come, and I suspect that like many other low-end cinema cameras, the best will be on TV or the big screen, not on YT with the camera and lenses in the video description, so we won't have any clue.

That was one of my main beefs with the persecution that the XC10 and XC15 received - they are frequently seen on professional sets and footage from them is probably used regularly and no-one would ever be able to tell, meanwhile a few online tests by people who can't WB are pixel peeped to death and everyone thinks the footage is worse than the first iPhone...