Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

Red Gemini looks dramatically better on my display. 

yeah for some reason the gemini is creamier and has some kind of pop like the alexa. Might be the other 24k $ that is giving that. BM should figure out what it is and implement it into their next camera, or better yet give it through a firmware update on the ursa mini pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

yeah for some reason the gemini is creamier and has some kind of pop like the alexa. Might be the other 24k $ that is giving that. BM should figure out what it is and implement it into their next camera, or better yet give it through a firmware update on the ursa mini pro.

Even ignoring the obvious difference in DOF, the grading of the two clips isn't matched.  Without access to the original files, the comparison is meaningless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

or better yet give it through a firmware update (like) on the ursa mini pro.

That's what I am hoping as well, that the sensor specific partial de-mosaic filtering tuning will make the Pocket 4k more like the USRA Minii Pro after it got the BRAW update.  With Pocket 4k it would be nice if they would do 2 tunings, one for each native ISO.   I am already really liking the look of the Pocket 4k at high ISOs in low light, but at lower ISOs with lighting or daylight,  I am hoping it can be further refined, like the USRA Mini Pro was after the BRAW update.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, helium said:

Even ignoring the obvious difference in DOF, the grading of the two clips isn't matched.  Without access to the original files, the comparison is meaningless.

The difference in depth of field shouldn't even be that much difference.   The gemini crop factor is 1.17.  BMPCC4k crop factor with the 0.71 speed booster is essentially 1.33.     So in the comparison the equivalent focal length for the BMPCC4k with the 70mm is 93mm, and the gemini with the 50mm is 58.5.  And yet they have the same framing which shows that the 50mm must be closer to the subject therefore focused more closely than the 70mm which is throwing the background out more.  And really the difference in background blur is the only thing that stands out to me as a difference.  Being honest I actually prefer the overall look of the original pocket in these tests, but that will easily be achievable in post with the 4k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, majoraxis said:

That's what I am hoping as well, that the sensor specific partial de-mosaic filtering tuning will make the Pocket 4k more like the USRA Minii Pro after it got the BRAW update.  With Pocket 4k it would be nice if they would do 2 tunings, one for each native ISO.   I am already really liking the look of the Pocket 4k at high ISOs in low light, but at lower ISOs with lighting or daylight,  I am hoping it can be further refined, like the USRA Mini Pro was after the BRAW update.

 

Here's a good comparison between BRAW (with its new debayering filter which almost acts like an optical lowpass filter) and CDNG (using a more oldschool approach)
https://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Test/Blackmagic-RAW---Qualitaet-im-Vergleich-zu-CinemaDNG----IBC-2018--Debayering---Rauschen.html#Debay

 

Once this update hits the Pocket 4K we should have some really smooth footage out of this camera. Talked to some other DOPs over the past few days about their impressions over BRAW. In conclusion they're not looking back at all. The URSA feels like a new camera and way closer to ARRI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to tell anything from YouTube, so compressed.

A candle is not a good low light test either because you are either at full saturation of the pixel (bright flame), or barely nothing (black background).

NEXT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's hard to tell anything from YouTube, so compressed.

A candle is not a good low light test either because you are either at full saturation of the pixel (bright flame), or barely nothing (black background). 

NEXT!

Totally agree. I just sigh and shake my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we have any knowledge yet on whether the DJI Ronin S will allow us to manually focus Panasonic lenses on the BMPCC4K, as it does with the GH5? Kind of a big deal for me with this camera as I'm intending to do a lot of gimbal work with it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Lucas A said:

Do we have any knowledge yet on whether the DJI Ronin S will allow us to manually focus Panasonic lenses on the BMPCC4K, as it does with the GH5? Kind of a big deal for me with this camera as I'm intending to do a lot of gimbal work with it.

 

It's expected to come in an update to the Ronin. I'm going wait for that update before buying the ronin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...