Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

8 hours ago, Lucas A said:

Australia huh? Favouritism! With Blackmagic and Rode, you fellows have two companies really challenging the Japanese and Americans for that quality/ cost co-efficient and in my view winning hands down. Both Rode and BlackMagic are offering quality products that rival the very best in the world, whilst costing 1/10 the price. Disruptive!

There's a well-known thing here called "the Australia tax" where the same products cost 20-80% more than the exact same products do elsewhere in the world.

It's due to many manufacturers having exclusive suppliers with dedicated regions, so you can only buy through one business and they control the price.

I am also interested in hifi and it's a common occurrence for someone to take their family on a week holiday to Singapore or Japan and buy a piece of hifi equipment and have it shipped directly back to Australia. Depending on how expensive the item is, the difference in price can be so large it covers the cost of the family holiday, a week of lost wages, the shipping of heavy and fragile goods, and the person still comes out ahead.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Any chance you can upload a bunch of footage?

I'd love to see the same thing shot in Film, Video and Extended Video mode for some comparisons. Also, the usual stuff we've not yet seen. Does the sun have a hole? Rolling shutter etc.

No worries if not, I know you probably just want to play with it in your own way haha.

I really wish I had the time! I'll see what I can do. I had a quick play today, literally for all of ten minutes.....

- Sensor Calibration option in menu is greyed out. I'm used to doing a calibration at the beginning of each days shoot on the UMP but doesn't look like it's necessary on the Pocket4K 

- I really wish the screen articulated up slightly. Handholding the camera at chest height is most comfortable but it's not the ideal viewing angle for the screen. I would have payed a few hundred $$$ more for the screen to articulate up 30 degrees or so. Would make the camera so much more ergonomic.

- Camera feels great in the hand. Well balanced and a good size.

- hot air blows out from the bottom vent, not too much of an issue but my left wrist rests partially on the vent while pulling focus.

- I have the Speedbooster XL on it and there is absolutely no autofocus info going to or from the lens. I never use AF and didn't think it would be usable at all during a shot but even push AF not working at all with SB XL and Canon 24-105, Sigma 18-35 (Slight vignette at wide end) and Canon 50 1.8 or Canon 85 1.8. All other lens functions work well and iris response from cameras front scroll wheel very responsive.

-  Did a quick recording on a Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDCard. 4K25p RAW 4:1 and camera recorded fine for 3-4 minutes before I stopped it. 

Had a quick look at the Fim, Extended and Video modes just looking at the rear LCD. The difference between Video and Extended video seems to be mainly in the highlights. Blacks look the same and nicely contrasty but the Extended mode holds the highlight better. 

So far so good. Really happy with the camera. 

Sorry, thats all I've got for now. Might get some time for another play tomorrow.

Let me know if you want any specific shots done and I'll see how I go but can't promise anything at the moment..... 

@A_Urquhart good info, thanks.

As this is a camera that is really likely to shine brightest with raw and careful grading, perhaps just sharing your impressions of it is easiest and quickest.

Or alternatively just take a bunch of random shots and upload some DNGs or TIFFs for others to dl and play with?

One of the more significant announcements from today is the upcoming Panny Leica 10-25mm 1.7 lens. This will be a brilliant lens for this camera. Too bad there is no OIS. But still, looking forward to pricing and availability.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9248867492/panasonic-is-developing-a-10-25mm-f1-7-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

7 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

One of the more significant announcements from today is the upcoming Panny Leica 10-25mm 1.7 lens. This will be a brilliant lens for this camera. Too bad there is no OIS. But still, looking forward to pricing and availability.

https://www.dpreview.com/news/9248867492/panasonic-is-developing-a-10-25mm-f1-7-lens-for-micro-four-thirds

Yeah if it had IS it would be perfect for the pocket 4k.   I guess its still appealing in many ways, but the lack of IS is a dampener and makes other options have more appeal like light weight primes or speed boosted dslr lenses that do have IS.

2 minutes ago, MattH said:

Yeah if it had IS it would be perfect for the pocket 4k.   I guess its still appealing in many ways, but the lack of IS is a dampener and makes other options have more appeal like light weight primes or speed boosted dslr lenses that do have IS.

Well, start looking at your options in this range and you'll find few. Native m43 lenses have few options in this range, primes or zooms. And what you trade for one spec you lose in another. The closest lens to this is the Tokina 11-20mm 2.8. I believe it does come in m43 mount, and can even be had in an upcoming Cine version. And can move up to S35 sensors which is great. But, with this new lens, you trade range and speed. Plus its Leica glass which is worth a look. Can't wait for more info. 

I am sure many would be intrested to know something about the audio quality recorded with camera's internal mics. I have understood it should be quite good for internal mics. Does it capture camera's fan noise, or how about the noice floor, is there much hiss in sound?

I haven't heard any sound recorded with this camera yet.

4 hours ago, BopBill said:

I am sure many would be intrested to know something about the audio quality recorded with camera's internal mics. I have understood it should be quite good for internal mics. Does it capture camera's fan noise, or how about the noice floor, is there much hiss in sound?

How directional it is would be useful to know too :)

9 hours ago, BopBill said:

Ok, so by reading here and BMC User, it seems that people really want to know what the audio is like. As there are no other videos around showing the audio qualities of the Pocket4k, thats what i'll focus on tonight.

Just so I'm not wasting my time, off the top of my head, here is how i'm gong to do the test...let me know if you think it could be done better but again, I'll only have an hour or so to do this tonight.

1. Inbuilt mic with person reading, sitting about 4ft from camera to simulate general piece to camera or interview.

2. Inbuilt mic with person reading about 4ft away but walking left to right of room to test how directional mic is (?).

3. Same scenarios as 1 & 2 but using Rode Video Mic (Original) into minijack input and mounted on camera to compare scenarios 1, 2 &3.

4. Rode NTG3 directly into Pocket4K using phantom power and placed about a foot from persons mouth.

5. Rode NTG3 into Zoom F4 using phantom power and placed as per #4 to compare in built pre amp to Zoom F4.

I'll aim to record everything at around -12dbfs

I will try to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo and also provide a high quality audio file available for download. 

Seem ok?

25 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Ok, so by reading here and BMC User, it seems that people really want to know what the audio is like. As there are no other videos around showing the audio qualities of the Pocket4k, thats what i'll focus on tonight.

Just so I'm not wasting my time, off the top of my head, here is how i'm gong to do the test...let me know if you think it could be done better but again, I'll only have an hour or so to do this tonight.

1. Inbuilt mic with person reading, sitting about 4ft from camera to simulate general piece to camera or interview.

2. Inbuilt mic with person reading about 4ft away but walking left to right of room to test how directional mic is (?).

3. Same scenarios as 1 & 2 but using Rode Video Mic (Original) into minijack input and mounted on camera to compare scenarios 1, 2 &3.

4. Rode NTG3 directly into Pocket4K using phantom power and placed about a foot from persons mouth.

5. Rode NTG3 into Zoom F4 using phantom power and placed as per #4 to compare in built pre amp to Zoom F4.

I'll aim to record everything at around -12dbfs

I will try to upload the video to Youtube or Vimeo and also provide a high quality audio file available for download. 

Seem ok?

Sounds good.

19 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Given the size of the sensor wouldn't it be better a sigma 17-50 2.8 as an all - purpose lens? That's roughly a 21-62 S35 equivalent and paired with a ef-m43 smart adapter shouldn't be more than 600 bucks. 

Screenshot_2018-09-26-09-52-12-1.png

In fact you could use it with the Aputure DEC and have both internal Nd's and the lightest follow focus. 

CVP still only have as end of September ETA, they have around 600 units on preorder, they don’t know how many they will receive, orders processed based on chronology of orders of course.

3 hours ago, Álex Montoya said:

Given the size of the sensor wouldn't it be better a sigma 17-50 2.8 as an all - purpose lens? That's roughly a 21-62 S35 equivalent and paired with a ef-m43 smart adapter shouldn't be more than 600 bucks. 

Screenshot_2018-09-26-09-52-12-1.png

In fact you could use it with the Aputure DEC and have both internal Nd's and the lightest follow focus. 

That lens has a major flaw, horrid manual focus with an ultra short focus throw. Ois is also jerky for video. 

14 minutes ago, Álex Montoya said:

I don't need OIS and the focus throw is short, but manual is better for a follow focus. Maybe it could work with a focus ring adapter?

I’m curious - how does using a follow focus with this lens increase the short focus throw?

I mean manual focus works better with a follow focus because results are repeatable as explained here:

https://suggestionofmotion.com/blog/sigma-17-50mm-f2-8-lens-review/

And was wondering if something like this would help a bit with the throw:

maxresdefault.jpg

Here, they discuss extending the throw with the FF gears. I haven't tried something like that, but sounds feasible.

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?21858-Extend-focus-throw-with-gears

Also, just read here that with a wireless FF you can remap the focus throw to the operator liking:

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=71950

Anyway, what I would love is such a zoom in cine form.

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’m curious - how does using a follow focus with this lens increase the short focus throw?

i doubt  anything can change the focus throw apart from major surgery, perhaps he's used to using a follow focus adapter or maybe its just wishful thinking that it may improve the handling somehow. i do know that its easier to turn a (bigger steering wheel  than a smaller steering wheel)  so maybe a larger diameter wheel over the lens may improve a  handling aspect for him  perhaps