Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

21 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

If I was rich, I kind of used to be, even a Arri Alexa LF wouldn't cost me shit for money compared to what I make.

Cameras are a funny thing - it's one of the only things I know of where having more money wouldn't help me that much.  If you want an ILC cinema camera with good 4K smaller than a C100 there are simply no options.  That is, unless you're a billionaire, in which case you can probably ask one of the manufacturers to design you one! :)

Edit: with great IS for handheld work.  Otherwise the Pocket 2 is fine :)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

Haha

I'd go on that forum and say "Yeah, that's my one but funnily enough I'm off on holiday for a month so won't be able to even get it out of the box til I get back" and watch them all lose their shit ;)

Too busy getting excited about my TWO Hydrogens to have even unboxed it..

Trying to work out the optimum settings for extreme low light...

42 minutes ago, kye said:

If you want an ILC cinema camera with good 4K smaller than a C100 there are simply no options.  That is, unless you're a billionaire, in which case you can probably ask one of the manufacturers to design you one! :)

That's more or less how Jannard came to start RED.

But it escalated!

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That's more or less how Jannard came to start RED.

But it escalated!

With all cameras, from every manufacturer, escalating in quality, I’m surprised Red and Arri hasn’t released a sub $3000 cinema camera. I remember Arri talked about a S16 B&W camera they were going to make for young filmmakers but that never materialized. If Arri came out with a digital BL, even in B&W only, I would be all over it.

6 minutes ago, mercer said:

With all cameras, from every manufacturer, escalating in quality, I’m surprised Red and Arri hasn’t released a sub $3000 cinema camera. I remember Arri talked about a S16 B&W camera they were going to make for young filmmakers but that never materialized. If Arri came out with a digital BL, even in B&W only, I would be all over it.

RED were trailing what they were calling a "3K for 3K" camera but ditched it.

They seem to now be ploughing the "3D for another 3 months late" furrow with their phone instead.

They should do a Cinecorder for us ;)

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

RED were trailing what they were calling a "3K for 3K" camera but ditched it.

They seem to now be ploughing the "3D for another 3 months late" furrow with their phone instead.

They should do a Cinecorder for us ;)

Yeah I remember that, and it would have been a smart move. BlackMagic operates in a market they have all to themselves. Of course, I don’t know if l’m sold on the P4K yet. I know everybody was impressed with the Wolfcrow comparison but all I learned from it was that Arri squashes all three cameras (no surprise) and that the P4K was only marginally better than the GH5. With the added features of the GH5, I don’t know if I would switch if I already owned one.

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah I remember that, and it would have been a smart move. BlackMagic operates in a market they have all to themselves. Of course, I don’t know if l’m sold on the P4K yet. I know everybody was impressed with the Wolfcrow comparison but all I learned from it was that Arri squashes all three cameras (no surprise) and that the P4K was only marginally better than the GH5. With the added features of the GH5, I don’t know if I would switch if I already owned one.

Yeah I think the real true gain with the PK4 is the Raw, and the new BRaw. But that is a pain in the ass, so I doubt many people are going to make that their #1 Codec. Sure the UI and screen is nice,  but in  bright light it doesn't seem to be so hot, and you can't move it around to avoid it.  And now you can buy a GH5 for not a lot more money than the PK4. I think for the average person what you give up is not worth it. I just don't see it as a camera that you would really use that much. Sure would be nice to have it when you do need it though. There will be some good buys on it used down the road. I don't see tons of people keeping it to be honest.

2 hours ago, kye said:

Cameras are a funny thing - it's one of the only things I know of where having more money wouldn't help me that much.  If you want an ILC cinema camera with good 4K smaller than a C100 there are simply no options.  That is, unless you're a billionaire, in which case you can probably ask one of the manufacturers to design you one! :)

Edit: with great IS for handheld work.  Otherwise the Pocket 2 is fine :)

Does the EOSR have a s35 mode? If so put a Speedbooster on it and call it a day. Ehh no IBIS, your still screwed LoL. Just buy a Sony A7 mk III and be happy.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I think for the average person what you give up is not worth it.

I don’t think this camera is aimed at the average person. It’s not a camera for filming family holidays. Of course, you can use it for that, but the target demographic is as an A cam for young filmmakers and students or a B cam for higher profile projects.

In those scenarios what you give up may not be relevant. 

16 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I don’t think this camera is aimed at the average person. It’s not a camera for filming family holidays. Of course, you can use it for that, but the target demographic is as an A cam for young filmmakers and students or a B cam for higher profile projects.

This camera is really only going to work well on a tripod. And I seem to be one of the few on here that does use a tripod. So I just see it as a OK I bought one and I really don't like it camera, even for most of the people on here, let alone the rest of the people. I see it as a niche from hell, that most people will say down the road, Yeah I HAD one of them. It is just like the Original BMPCC, sure everyone on here Had one, but who still uses it or even still owns it! Sure it is a great camera, but it is a pain in the ass to use, and that equates to not something you just grab and go shoot with.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

We'll see. I've got the P4K on preorder but have my finger on the cancel button. I'm waiting to see more footage. It's very possible that with the right lens, filters, and Sage's lut, GH5 is a no brainer. But from the footage I've seen so far the P4K has the edge in image quality for sure. But like you said, maybe not enough to choose it over IBIS, ETC. The GH5 is also getting an autofocus firmware update in October so that may be another edge. Battery life is another. However, .braw may do something special to the P4K. We'll see.

The GH5 is a capable camera and certainly the camera to pick up for stuff on the go, but I think the P4K will have the edge in low light and with a steadycam or gimble giving it the potential for some movement in narrative work... I have one on preorder to fit alongside the GH5, the fact that lenses can be interchanged including speedboosters and full frame lenses makes the two cameras a nice pairing for me. For the price of an A7Riii you can have two cameras that will hopefully compliment each other quite well.. at least until these FF shenanigans settle down a bit 😮

26 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I do use it for that haha

67D1518E-BABD-428C-895C-970A0E26C6EA.jpeg

On 9/28/2018 at 1:49 PM, Turboguard said:

Which 8sin did you get? I’m looking at the half cafe with Scorpio handle.

I’m finding it difficult fixing a quick release plate to the bottom of my 8Sinn cage... if you have specific requirements make sure you check the lower plate. 

Apologies if that’s all second nature to you!

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but down the road braw might be on damned near every camera since it is free, and a open Codec.

Hope you’re right, just can’t see it being available on existing cameras, I understand it has to be “designed in”.

One other thing too is that the native MFT lenses are designed for fairly substantial software corrections in camera, especially at the widest end, this is an extra post job not required with say a GH5.  CA’s and vignetting are also corrected natively, but not with this camera.

54 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but down the road braw might be on damned near every camera since it is free, and a open Codec.

The SDK for playing/editing .braw is free. Installing the codec on other cameras is not free, nor is it easy. They've patented it. But I assume that down the road, something "like" .braw will be available for most cameras. Hopefully.

14 minutes ago, Jn- said:

One other thing too is that the native MFT lenses are designed for fairly substantial software corrections in camera, especially at the widest end, this is an extra post job not required with say a GH5.  CA’s and vignetting are also corrected natively, but not with this camera.

I understand the discussion around software corrections in the Panny and Oly cameras, I wonder if Resolve could add corrective algorithms seeing as Blackmagic's cameras use m43 lenses?

I've not noticed any "substantial" problems myself but I tend to use manual wide lenses from SLRmagic and Laowa currently, the PanaLeica 10-25 f1.7 has my attention though 🙂 

3 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

The SDK for playing/editing .braw is free. Installing the codec on other cameras is not free, nor is it easy. They've patented it. But I assume that down the road, something "like" .braw will be available for most cameras. Hopefully.

"Blackmagic told us that Blackmagic RAW will be coming to the BMPCC 4K at some stage, but it won’t be in there when the camera first ships.

It is also very likely that over the next 6 months or so that we will see Blackmagic RAW being implemented into other companies cameras. Blackmagic have said that they are very open to letting just about anyone use Blackmagic RAW as opposed to making it a closed system."

From this article at the bottom.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/15/blackmagic-raw-explained-ibc-2018/

other cinema cameras perhaps; not mirrorless.

4 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

"Blackmagic told us that Blackmagic RAW will be coming to the BMPCC 4K at some stage, but it won’t be in there when the camera first ships.

It is also very likely that over the next 6 months or so that we will see Blackmagic RAW being implemented into other companies cameras. Blackmagic have said that they are very open to letting just about anyone use Blackmagic RAW as opposed to making it a closed system."

From this article at the bottom.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/15/blackmagic-raw-explained-ibc-2018/