Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1 hour ago, John Brawley said:

I accept the way I use a camera isn't the way others use a camera.  I love a robust, informed and respectful discussion about features and approaches to workflow.   I'm happy to argue the pros and cons till the cows come home and I love being proven wrong. 

I for one value your posts (here and on BM’s own fora) based as they are on extensive  experience in a genuine professional environment. I hope this experience won’t dissuade you from posting.

Let’s hope the delivery schedule is still realistic for September - any idea when official footage might be available?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, John Brawley said:

Why do you think women don't post in forums like this ?  Because they are out there.  They read these forums and choose not to engage because of the boys club that this place can be.  Especially when talking about the very kind of issue that makes them not feel comfortable and welcomed in a forum like this.

I've never seen any sexism or 'boys club' mentality on here tbh. There's probably more testosterone in the average knitting circle than on here. 

14 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

any idea when official footage might be available?

I'm afraid that question like this is totally inappropriate and suspicious in its naivety that must be called fake - simply, it is out of ruling concept of this thread, so it must be treated as an redundant blasphemy.

It seems that this thread long time ago became some sort of extremely refine theater of the absurd - serious ode to non existing subject, profoundly devoted, extensive preparing for its coming, waves of enthusiastic competency, lessons about every single word and topic that from afar looks as desecration against its unbelievable annunciation - so, from time to time it is very interesting to take a look of its progress.

26 minutes ago, kaylee said:

what do you mean by that? are you talking about me?

nevermind/

let me put a point on this: @jonpais is a raging jerk. hes deleted my posts and threads. i think he needs some time off from the forum

@John Brawley, had a fit over the word "sissy", which infuriates me. in America that isnt "hate speech", you act like he said fa**ot.

/thats it

Let me put a point on this: Who gives a shit.

Can we please stick to talking about this camera, it's highs, lows, competition, accessories and application. If you feel the need to post about other users, or argue about who said what and under what context, I'm sure most people here would prefer you do so elsewhere.  Maybe you can contribute here: 

Thank you.

With so much attention from Grant Petty being put on the audio options, and with 4 mics built into the camera, what are people expecting from it regarding wind noise?

My experience with most cameras of this kind of size and shape is wind is very disturbing and renders the (usually not very good anyway) internal mics totally useless for outdoor use, even as scratch audio. Looking at it, I'm starting to think that positioning the microphones next to the lens mount, instead of the usual places like the top left corner or in front of the hot shoe, might help shelter them from the wind. 

That on top of the fact that all exposure controls are on the touchscreen means there probably won't be much handling noise while operating the camera. Although maybe if you're adjusting focus, the mics are more likely to pick that up?

1 hour ago, kaylee said:

, had a fit over the word "sissy", which infuriates me. in America that isnt "hate speech", you act like he said fa**ot.

Did I ?

FFS, as an afterthought on responding to a post with mostly techo camera geek stuff,  I also ASKED the poster if he might want to also reconsider his use of the word sissy.  Is that a fit in your books ?  

Methinks you complain a bit much. 

Also,  I was born in New York and am currently working in Atlanta.  I'm as American as you are bucko.

In the last 12 months on two different occasions, I've had two of my crew ( a woman in one case and a guy) get into deep doo doo with big studio HR departments for exactly this kind of language.  And when I say doo doo I mean fired.   In your own interests I simply point this out, if you want to crew on any half way professional show, no matter if you agree or not, you need to be respectful to all.  It's a condition of employment.

JB

38 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

Did I ?

FFS, as an afterthought on responding to a post with mostly techo camera geek stuff,  I also ASKED the poster if he might want to also reconsider his use of the word sissy.  Is that a fit in your books ?  

Methinks you complain a bit much. 

Also,  I was born in New York and am currently working in Atlanta.  I'm as American as you are bucko.

In the last 12 months on two different occasions, I've had two of my crew ( a woman in one case and a guy) get into deep doo doo with big studio HR departments for exactly this kind of language.  And when I say doo doo I mean fired.   In your own interests I simply point this out, if you want to crew on any half way professional show, no matter if you agree or not, you need to be respectful to all.  It's a condition of employment.

JB

I detest your attitude, and I have absolutely no interest in anything youre talking about ? A "condition of employment"??? ??? Are you high?

Great, youre American? You should be absolutely ashamed.

Dont you have better things to do? Thats my SHOCK – you think this argument is important!!! like your opponent. and now youre fighting me?

I feel sorry for you pal ?

Why has the word "sissy" been used on The Simpsons so many times? You dont think thats a "respectful" writing room?

Dude...

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

With so much attention from Grant Petty being put on the audio options, and with 4 mics built into the camera, what are people expecting from it regarding wind noise?

My experience with most cameras of this kind of size and shape is wind is very disturbing and renders the (usually not very good anyway) internal mics totally useless for outdoor use, even as scratch audio. Looking at it, I'm starting to think that positioning the microphones next to the lens mount, instead of the usual places like the top left corner or in front of the hot shoe, might help shelter them from the wind. 

That on top of the fact that all exposure controls are on the touchscreen means there probably won't be much handling noise while operating the camera. Although maybe if you're adjusting focus, the mics are more likely to pick that up?

In terms of these mics being usable for "real world" situations, I'd be more concerned about handling noise and directionality (isolation of what you're pointing the camera at) than wind noise.  Handling noise might be a reason for them being so large - if there was a suspension mechanism in there of some kind.  The capsules likely to be in there are quite small so I suspect something interesting is going on in there :)

The reason I'm less worried about wind noise is that I've seen YouTubers (the ultimate "real world" shooters!) put fluff over in-camera microphones with quite amazing results in some cases, so it might be something that can be retrofitted pretty simply.  Considering the location they might not get in the way much either.

Thanks @kye - the post was mostly an attempt to get things back on track, thanks for picking it up.

That's my thoughts too, stick some fluff over them and have them as 'usable' mics for those times you need to film a kid's birthday in 4k60p RAW, and don't want to add anything to the body.

On the subject of audio, with two separate inputs, I was recently pondering an XLR box like this. It could be a fun way to add more mics that other cameras, even higher end ones, can't actually do. With this you'd techinically have 3 separate phantom power inputs.

image.png.7b84d0070cfdd76ee886c94820e8d452.png

I regularly film live musicians performing for a camera, I have one on legs with the main vocals and guitar going into that and then the secondary instrument, generally another guitar, going into a Tascam Dr40. With this setup, I could have all 3 sources going into one camera, and separate the stereo input from this box into two mono tracks.  

Alternatively, it'd be good for interview situations with two subjects. You can mic the interviewer and both subjects with no need to sync anything later. 

hmmm.

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

for those times you need to film a kid's birthday in 4k60p RAW

LOL..  

I'm not sure if that was specifically aimed at me, but it's pretty funny, and if I end up with this camera then it's totally something I would do!!

On the subject of audio, with two separate inputs, I was recently pondering an XLR box like this. It could be a fun way to add more mics that other cameras, even higher end ones, can't actually do. With this you'd techinically have 3 separate phantom power inputs.

I think I missed a specification or something..  does the camera have three inputs?

That's my thoughts too, stick some fluff over them and have them as 'usable' mics

Apart from those crazy YouTubers, another use for these might be recording on camera audio for use with those automatic audio syncing functions that editing software seems to have these days.. If the audio in-camera was too omnidirectional or had too much wind or handling noise then it might not be able to sync but potentially a bit more quality might save some work in post.

I'm not sure how useful this is to film-makers who care enough about audio to record to a separate recorder, but maybe it's a thing?  
Time is definitely money, but it might also facilitate audio syncs to be fast enough for on-set review, potentially being part of the feedback loop to the creative teams.  I've read articles about productions that shot test footage, roughly graded it, and then turned that into a LUT so that the rough 'look' of the film could be seen on set (and applied to a large monitor) giving the crew a better idea of how well things were working artistically.

Maybe @IronFilm has seen sets like this where the audio is roughly mixed on set for review during the shoot?