Canon EOS R6 shoots 10bit 4K/60 (but NO RAW) - How it compares to the EOS R5

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Canon-EOS-R6-4K-front.jpg

With the price of the EOS R5 set at £4199 here in the UK, that is firmly pro-territory, but Canon has an enthusiast version too which will be the focus of many at EOSHD. The Canon EOS R6 is a competitor to the Sony A7 III, Panasonic S1 and Nikon Z6. It brings 10bit to the table over the 8bit only Sony & Nikon - and Dual Pixel Autofocus to the plate which is an advantage over the Panasonic cameras.

Canon users will also like the fact that the EOS R6 at $2500 / £2500 puts a lot right for video users compared to the disappointing first EOS R.

New blog post:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/canon-eos-r6-shoots-10bit-4k-60-but-no-raw-how-it-compares-to-the-eos-r5/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think Canon did really well here. Footage from the R5 at first glance looks very good. The footage of 4k120p looks very useable in a sense. The price is high for the R5 but it seems to be worth it. I still think the 8K RAW is impractical for a lot of people, but it also seems to delivery on the 4K as well.

The R6 price is very competitive for what you get. I think Canon hit a back to back home run here. 

I'm not all that interest in the camera as I have no plans to upgrade any gear, but this is interesting for me personally, and possibly others:

The LP-E6NH is a new longer life battery supplied with EOS R5, EOS R6 and compatible with all existing cameras that use the LP-E6 series batteries. It replaces replaces LP-E6N, with an increased capacity of 14% reaching 2130mAh, enabling users to shoot for longer while maintaining compatibility with existing products and accessories.

9 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

I think Canon did really well here. Footage from the R5 at first glance looks very good. The footage of 4k120p looks very useable in a sense. The price is high for the R5 but it seems to be worth it. I still think the 8K RAW is impractical for a lot of people, but it also seems to delivery on the 4K as well.

The R6 price is very competitive for what you get. I think Canon hit a back to back home run here. 

My only doubts is that most of the sales will come from stills people - and 20mp is lower than the rest of the competition. With a higher price than the A7III - albeit I see a $1999 price in the future, after cashing the pre-orders.

But it is Canon, lot of traction, could not be an issue.

Very interesting camera for the price. Hope for a low rolling shutter. Choice of PQ for HDR is particular versus Sony with HLG.

For sure video codec are not pro level but in may point of view enough compared to the price and the destination of the camera.

I suppose that video codecs are one of the main strategy in Canon to differentiate between C and R series.

Well it’s all interesting...but that is as far as I am going to go right now. And until Spring 2021.

This year has been shit for work and if the remaining jobs go ahead, it’s still only max 25% turnover.

This is the biggest decision maker at this time but for now, XT3 is all I can afford and need.

The lack of both a dedicated stills/video switch is not so great for the hybrid wedding shooter and nor is the (lack of) ability to write video to the second card, both of which the XT4 can do.

So I am going to sit on my backside, watch with interest what Sony bring out, see if Panny bring the mythical GH6 into being and my prime interest, see if Fuji can bring an XH2 to market by April latest next year.

Plus the real world samples, tests and reviews of course.

Thanks for posting the data rates, which don't look particularly impressive compared to the R Classic. - not to mention the loss of ALL-I. R6 looks like a real improvement in other areas though, namely low light, promising IBIS and improved AF. On closer inspection I see no true 24p option in the menus (23.98 only?) which is not a biggie, but it irks me. Like the unnecessary removal of c-log in 8-bit, this suggests there's still some crippling going on - so I'm doubtful if they'll give us auto exposure in c-log this time. More worrisome: there's the 'overheating control' option, which is ominous...  If the rolling shutter proves as bad as the 1DXIII then I question whether I'm just better off getting the metabones for my R+NinjaV combo (I dont shoot slomo) Will wait to see footage before deciding.

• Administrators

It is a pity 5.5K RAW remains 1D X III only for now.

And a pity about the 4K 120p file sizes.

And a pity about the overheating.

Bit of a shame about the rolling shutter in 8K and 4K 24p for cinema style shooting.

I'll wait to see what Sony come out with I think.

Micro HDMI is a big disappointment. Especially due to the 30min record time requiring an external recorder for interviews etc. Even more so if that's the only way to get intra frame files. 

Lack of ALL-I in 4K 24p was surely possible if it can shoot IPB in 60p. That's annoying. Though 170mbps h265 is a fairly beefy bitrate, even for 10bit, isn't it? Will have to wait and see what motion looks like on clips.

As has been said the big test is going to be rolling shutter. In some situations the IBIS will help with this in comparison the the 1DXIII but it'll still look like shit if it's that bad.

Oh and not recording video simultaneously to both cards defeats the purpose of dual slots for filmmakers! 

Hopefully SmallRig or someone will come out with a discreet little clamp that solves the Micro HDMI issue.

3 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It is a pity 5.5K RAW remains 1D X III only for now.

And a pity about the 4K 120p file sizes.

And a pity about the overheating.

Bit of a shame about the rolling shutter in 8K and 4K 24p for cinema style shooting.

I'll wait to see what Sony come out with I think.

Where are you hearing about R5 rolling shutter?

26 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Well it’s all interesting...but that is as far as I am going to go right now. And until Spring 2021.

This year has been shit for work and if the remaining jobs go ahead, it’s still only max 25% turnover.

This is the biggest decision maker at this time but for now, XT3 is all I can afford and need.

Same boat as you; work been destroyed this year.  Though when things look up, I shall take advantage of the price drop for the Pocket 6K and add that to my collection.  6K with manageable BRAW files are too much a lure.

I have however enjoyed the R5 and R6 announcements, but to me the R6 feels too stripped down, whilst the R5s biggest selling points of 8K and 120p are unusable in my line of work due to file size.

Great AF and smooth IBIS would make the R6 useful as a run n gun camera.  I currently use my GH5 for that, but its limited AF cripples what I really need it for.  

I don't like the H265 file format for capture, but if I limited recordings per job, I could live with it.  Plus I do the occasional odd job of Photography and the R6 would excel here over the GH5.  

I'm in no rush, but if it drops down in price, could be a pickup for sometime next year to replace my GH5.  Unless Panasonic does something amazing with a GH6 release, and give us actual usable AF.   If this does happen, it would be great as I could better film the flying pigs I currently see passing by my window. 😄

Is there an additional crop for 4K UHD 60fps?  (Beyond the 1.1X crop at 4K 30fps)

Wondering how the low light and DR of 4K 30 will be compared to the S1. I am guessing that just on math alone S1 would hold an advantage as it is 6K downsampled to 4K, as opposed to the 5.1K downsampled to 4K on the R6. But don't know if that is going to make any sort of real world noticeable difference.