Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

Just now, zerocool22 said:

Was just expecting way more. This is just competing with the S1H that is already released a year ago, you would think they would crush the S1H. People are still wondering now if they should get an A7S III or an S1H, then its a sad release for me. Hopefully some good news will follow soon. Looks like the ump 12K is by far the most interesting camera this year (not talking about the resolution). 

They are crushing the S1H imo , the S1h crop in S35 for 60fps and don t do 120fps 4k , rolling shutter should be a lot better on the A7siii, it s almost half the weight and much smaller + Good AF

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a solid release for people already invested in the system BUT it does kinda feel like Sony is just finally catching up and there's a chance this release will look dated pretty quickly. 

Someone really needs to have a heart to heart with Panasonic about AF, because all of these companies have left the door open for them. Canon tried to shut it (I think?), but that was an unmitigated disaster, but after this release its still open, I think. 

I'm sorry, I just can't get over that upside down sony when the screen is flipped out. It is so obnoxious. It's this kind of lack of attention to detail coupled with the fugly menu system that just makes me question the designers. You are right Andrew, there is no soul to this camera.

At least with the S1 you get a beautifully designed, rugged body which makes you want to shoot.

Pending the heat management, though, this looks like a solid corporate camera for people who care about form factor. 

2 minutes ago, Laurier said:

They are crushing the S1H imo , the S1h crop in S35 for 60fps and don t do 120fps 4k , rolling shutter should be a lot better on the A7siii, it s almost half the weight and much smaller + Good AF

It doesn't crush anything. The s1h is netlfix approved camera for a reason and is reliable. We are yet to see what this will do other than a puff piece.

People who judge a camera just on specs make me cringe. 

While some of you are underwhelmed, I'm elated as long as 4k 120p works as stated. I've been hoping for a camera that can do that along with excellent autofocus. Great for wildlife filming! Yes, 30 min limitation but I can live with that as long as I don't have to shut the camera off afterwards to let it cool down for 2 hours. I'm being cautiously optimistic.

I honestly don't understand why people are feeling "very underwhelmed" by this camera, what do you expect? I feel the Canon R5 has seriously skewed expectations, but we know in the real world how this has burnt (sorry) potential buyers.

Who gives a monkey's if it doesn't have 8k?

No other camera in this price range does what this camera does. In some ways it's better than the FX9. Seems like the perfect video tool for those who don't want or can afford something bigger. 

Well done Sony! (and please, no hush-hush cripple hammers!!).

18 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

By continuous I mean a normal continuous shooting mode rather than a S&Q mode conformed to lower frame rate in-camera.

yes and plus it has audio so you can use it at normal speed or for slow motion. this couple with probably better quality is a big plus for 120fps

6 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

This is a solid release for people already invested in the system BUT it does kinda feel like Sony is just finally catching up and there's a chance this release will look dated pretty quickly. 

Someone really needs to have a heart to heart with Panasonic about AF, because all of these companies have left the door open for them. Canon tried to shut it (I think?), but that was an unmitigated disaster, but after this release its still open, I think. 

Besides body design, stills, anamorphic modes and possibly colour - it's better featured and has more lens options. 

But true, if Panasonic sorted their AF in the mk. II, they will be very very hard to beat. 

I'm impressed by all the small improvements that add up to what seem to be a very competent camera. Often when something is boring, it's because it's good. The excitement comes from the project you're working on. If Sony's colour science has improved as much as people say, recording to a ProRes Raw recorder in the future would be nice. I just don't think I could jump back to Sony after the absolute nightmare that was their colour- in my own humble experience.

9 minutes ago, Laurier said:

I would have put good AF at the top of your list 🙂 that's why I sold my S1. If you don't need AF, there are a lot of good options (although it's true that you have to step down to a cropped sensor to get 4k60p without a crop before r5/r6/a7s3)

I used a S1h for a project, the only advantage would be the IBS for me. The 6k image is not as good as the 4k image and the 60fps crop is just annoying as it s force you to change lenses to get coverage.
The S1H is seriously large for an hybrid. In the end I found it make little sense to use it over a BMPCC 6k.

Just now, Oliver Daniel said:

Besides body design, stills, anamorphic modes and possibly colour - it's better featured and has more lens options. 

But true, if Panasonic sorted their AF in the mk. II, they will be very very hard to beat. 

The problem there is that their existing L-mount lenses are designed for Contrast Focus, so there'd probably still be a growing pains period for Panasonic in transitioning over to Phase Detect. But yes, at this point, they really do need to start to that transition as soon as possible if they want to really seal the deal on the market.

1 minute ago, cameraeye said:

I'm impressed by all the small improvements that add up to what seem to be a very competent camera. Often when something is boring, it's because it's good. The excitement comes from the project you're working on. If Sony's colour science has improved as much as people say, recording to a ProRes Raw recorder in the future would be nice. I just don't think I could jump back to Sony after the absolute nightmare that was their colour- in my own humble experience.

this is a tock not a tick. but i, for one, require reliability above all else

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I honestly don't understand why people are feeling "very underwhelmed" by this camera, what do you expect? I feel the Canon R5 has seriously skewed expectations, but we know in the real world how this has burnt (sorry) potential buyers.

Who gives a monkey's if it doesn't have 8k?

No other camera in this price range does what this camera does. In some ways it's better than the FX9. Seems like the perfect video tool for those who don't want or can afford something bigger. 

Well done Sony! (and please, no hush-hush cripple hammers!!).

It does consolidate their lead over Canon in video. It will be a good option for pros. And probably reliable. We'll see.

I really do wish they would sort out an internal ND filter one day though. How hard can it be?! Clear glass over sensor, that turns dark with voltage applied. Nothing needs to move out of the way.

DCI 4K and anamorphic mode should be in there too.

Apart from that looks like a very good improvement, albeit one we've had to wait 5 years for 🙂

I don’t get all the negativity.

This is a very sensible camera from Sony as long as it doesn’t overheat and ruin a real world shoot. Everybody wanted a FF 4K60p 10-bit camera. We have it now. With excellent AF, ALL-I, log, no pixel binning in sight (!) and hopefully no overheating in practical terms.

Sure, the flip screen is low resolution and rubbish. The menus are straight out of kindergarden classroom. And its only 12MP. Who cares. It’s about the sausage in the end.

I hate to say it but Sony is probably going to be the company to give us that internal eND in a mirrorless body someday.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I really do wish they would sort out an internal ND filter one day though.

This was one of the things I WAS most excited about with the R5 and using ef glass and their adapter. Native AF with variable ND for all my lenses.

(edit: don't mean to go off topic)