Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

You are wrong. Zcam is h265 10 bit 420, not 422. Other people posting here having no problem editing either speak about h264 10 bit 422 or h265 10 bit 420. 

10 bit 422 H265 IS NOT supported by ANY graphic card on the market today. 10 bit 420 and 10 bit 444 are, not 422. 
Sony has H265 10 bit 422 in the A7S and thus it will be hard to edit even on a $20K Mac Pro. 
Only the iPad work well for it. All Apple Sillicon upcoming computers will work well for that usage too. 

As I said days ago here on the forum, before the new video from Max, we are screwed for the moment with 10 bit 422 H265. It does not matter which camera you are using. Transcode or record externally are the only options which both suck hard. I have an iPad Pro on which I am typing this message, but I do not consider this an option for video editing. 

Do you know if the next-gen NV cards coming out support it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

10 bit 422 H265 IS NOT supported by ANY graphic card on the market today. 10 bit 420 and 10 bit 444 are, not 422. 
Sony has H265 10 bit 422 in the A7S and thus it will be hard to edit even on a $20K Mac Pro. 
Only the iPad work well for it. All Apple Sillicon upcoming computers will work well for that usage too. 

Sony can choose to record 422 10bit in H.264 or X.265, unlike Canon only X.265 for 10bit and Clog.  Canon should really include Clog on the 420 8bit as there is not reason not to.

18 minutes ago, Django said:

So lemme get this straight, these new cameras (1DX3, R5/R6 & A7S3) are using 10-bit codecs no current computer/gfx card can decode/edit?! wtf

Exactly like Samsung NX1.. few years too advanced.

22 minutes ago, Django said:

So lemme get this straight, these new cameras (1DX3, R5/R6 & A7S3) are using 10-bit codecs no current computer/gfx card can decode/edit?! wtf

4k 265 10 4:2:2 IPB up to 30fps on my high end gaming notebook is realtime just not all-i... se my resolve thread. But is all done on the cpu....

8 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Sony can choose to record 422 10bit in H.264 or X.265, unlike Canon only X.265 for 10bit and Clog.  Canon should really include Clog on the 420 8bit as there is not reason not to.

Exactly like Samsung NX1.. few years too advanced.

Well at 3:58 in the BH video, you can see for the Sony 422 10 bits or 420 8 bits (like the Canon). Not sure where the option to have h.264 is but maybe it’s there we will know soon enough. But then if h264, bitrate clearly is not enough. From the same video it seems 10 bit 422 4K120 is 100MB which is already low in h265, and incredibly low for h264. Again we will know soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Well at 3:58 in the BH video, you can see for the Sony 422 10 bits or 420 8 bits (like the Canon). Not sure where the option to have h.264 is but maybe it’s there we will know soon enough. But then if h264, bitrate clearly is not enough. From the same video it seems 10 bit 422 4K120 is 100MB which is already low in h265, and incredibly low for h264. Again we will know soon enough. 

XAVC S/XAVC S-I is H.264, XAVC-HS is X.265, XAVC-HS is limited to 200Mbit, XAVC-S-I up to 600Mbit, XAVC-S up to 100Mbit, really weird that Sony stick to 100Mbit on both 420 8bit and 422 10bit.

32 minutes ago, gatopardo said:

If they used the full bayer pixels for stills ou made some pixel shifting possible to increase resolution this would be close to perfect camera spec wise. Color and image feel is still to be seen. Very important also.

You mean for 0.1% of photography. I mean pixel shift is only good for still subject like architecture. This camera with its low megapixel is very good for video, but not photography. At least for professional use, it is hard to sell 12 megapixel in 2020.

Well, pixel shift is very specific but quad bayer with 48mpx would have been amazing, they probably don’t allow that mode because it would kill A7R IV sales. A shame, because Sony does not have a high mpx camera with full video specs. 

As far as the codecs, it’s nice indeed to have many option. The fact that it’s H.264 100MB/s for a 10bit422 at 4K120p is an absolute joke though. 
Who on earth thought keeping 100Mbps like for 4K24 but with 120p and 10bit on top of it was a good idea? 

On the other side Canon gives us excessively high Mbps option. Is it that hard to give us 10 bit 420 H265 400Mbps/s and a similar 422 option for when we get compatible computers? You know something that combines good quality while being compatible with computers while working with SD cards...

51 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

XAVC S/XAVC S-I is H.264, XAVC-HS is X.265, XAVC-HS is limited to 200Mbit, XAVC-S-I up to 600Mbit, XAVC-S up to 100Mbit, really weird that Sony stick to 100Mbit on both 420 8bit and 422 10bit.

This.

You don't have to use the 200Mbit HS (h265), you can use the 600Mbit S-I which is h264. Not sure why there's so much drama about h265, just do't use it. I'd use the h265 on my phone (XS Max) or iPad (5th gen Mini, don't need the Pro to edit h265) with Lumafusion for quick hits with a few shots because of smaller file sizes - I do this with video from my drone and its fine.

Chris

7 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

As far as the codecs, it’s nice indeed to have many option. The fact that it’s H.264 100MB/s for a 10bit422 at 4K120p is an absolute joke though. 
Who on earth thought keeping 100Mbps like for 4K24 but with 120p and 10bit on top of it was a good idea? 

Pretty sure that's S&Q mode with the low bitrate. Standard recording is 600Mbps.

38 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

You mean for 0.1% of photography. I mean pixel shift is only good for still subject like architecture. This camera with its low megapixel is very good for video, but not photography. At least for professional use, it is hard to sell 12 megapixel in 2020.

Nobody, or almost nobody, will be buying an a7Smk3 primarily for photography as their main camera. 

The few primary photographers who'd be buying an a7Smk3 would be people like these examples:

1) professional photographers who are picking this up as their back up 2nd (or even 3rd/4th) a7 series body (thus 12 megapixels is plenty in your back up body), and are dabbling in video too. (for which this would be perfect!)

2) real estate phographers (or anybody else, who is dealing in a very high volume of low margin photos, thus lower megapixels is not a negative, and might even be a positive), and who at lest dabble in videography as well. 

This just goes to show, a $50K Mac Pro can’t playback footage a $800 iPad Pro can, how important hardware acceleration is when dealing with H265. You have to have hardware decoder to work with this footage without pulling your hair out.

I suspect apples GPU has H265 10-bit 420 and 422 built in. Why don’t all the others? 

I’m actually really excited for Apple Silicon. Maybe finally we will get a thin and light laptop that is easy to travel with but can chew through 8K RAW and H265 footage without a sweat. 

1 minute ago, Eric Calabros said:

I still don't understand why a €4000 camera shouldn't have internal prores, beside this XAVCDEHFTYRXV nonsense. 

Because they want you to pay $10K+ for it,