Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

45 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Sony is using two memory card drives in the Alpha 7S III for the first time, which can use both SD cards (UHS-II) and the new CFexpress type A cards. They are smaller than Type B cards and faster than SD cards. For most video modes, SD cards of video classes V60 and V90 are sufficient; CFexpress is only required in S&Q mode with 4: 2: 2 color subsampling and 10 bit color depth. The series mode also benefits from the faster cards; 1000 uncompressed raws in a row should be possible here. Sony plans to launch two CFexpress Type A cards on the market in September, which have a write speed of 700 MB / s and a read speed of 800 MB / s: The 80 GB version is said to be 230 euros, the 160 GB version 440 Cost euros and supplies electricity for 600 photos or 95 minutes of video.

Is that a joke? 80GB for 230eur and 160GB for 440 euro, that is a bit more expensive than CFexpress Type B

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The article is way too detailed and sheds a lot of new info not rumoured anywhere such as the new XAVC-SI & HS codecs, 16-bit ProRes RAW via HDMI 2.1, new AF system.. and thermal cutoff times.

So what is there to gather? A7S3 WILL OVERHEAT. Just less than R5.

4K60p FF no crop =  1 hour

4K120p crop = 30mn

Now let’s wait and see how that translates into real world use.

Battle ain’t over IMO.

21 minutes ago, ted1000 said:

So the 4K/120p is limited to 30 minutes? Does that make it unusable for many of you?

Ted

I don't think many people were / are asking to be able to record 120fps for that long. If the limit is there for 4K60 though it is a deal breaker for me. While an hour might seem long enough for most people, I need genuine unlimited record times. 

And so Panasonic are the only ones who actually take the initiative of designing a body that isn't gimped by heat. Someone needs to speak to the execs at Sony and tell them that it's ok if the body on this camera is slightly large (with internal nd). The use case for stills is minimal. They should have made it bigger. Let's wait and see what these record times really are under a hot sun, rather than ideal conditions. . 

Well now that we know A7S3 will have thermal cutoffs, we need to focus on what we learned from the R5/R6 debacle.

Meaning how long and under what temp condition does 4K60p/K120p reach overheat?

What are the recovery times? Will 4K24p always be available? Will 10-bit 4K24p cause heating up?

Regardless, it looks like 1DX3 & S1H are still the only FF hybrids with internal 10-bit that don't overheat.. disappointing.

I still don't know what new camera to choose lol.

1 minute ago, Django said:

Well now that we know A7S3 will have thermal cutoffs, we need to focus on what we learned from the R5/R6 debacle.

Meaning how long and under what temp condition does 4K60p/K120p reach overheat?

What are the recovery times? Will 4K24p always be available? Will 10-bit 4K24p cause heating up?

Regardless, it looks like 1DX3 & S1H are still the only FF hybrids with internal 10-bit that don't overheat.. disappointing.

Well it might not even be real but even if it is it doesn't necessarily mean the limits are there because of thermals.

It s hard for me to understand why someone who need to record something for more than 30min would need a hybrid camera to start with, I mean that what C100/Fs5 are for and have much better ergonomics for interview/ event coverage.( especially regarding audio recording)

They are cheaper as well and have plug and play recording formats.

For me the advantage of a good hybrids are to be discreet and offer some help for run and gun situations ( stabilisation, good DR, descent codecs), and easy to carry around.

I shoot mostly MV and fashion related work ( did some interviews and video portraits as well as small commercials ), I on average the camera run for 2 to 3 minutes per take.

Keeping the camera recording non stop is plain stupid and end up being more expensive once you start editing.

15 minutes ago, Laurier said:

It s hard for me to understand why someone who need to record something for more than 30min would need a hybrid camera to start with, I mean that what C100/Fs5 are for and have much better ergonomics for interview/ event coverage.( especially regarding audio recording)

Please stop using this argument. Its like saying for trips more than 40km Corolla is not adequate, use Avalon! 

The 30 min limit for 120 4k seems to be camera limited.    I wonder if Sony will allow an override like they do with some of their cameras?     Given all the cameras that had 30 minute limits for tax purposes not so long ago I do not see it as an issue unless once it DOES over heat it takes for ever to work again or if the time is reduced by shooting photos before hand  (how I would use it) taking hundreds of photos and then shooting short videos the length of a song (though not much 120p).

in short, if these specs are true, it is a camera designed for ME ...now if only the price was!

56 minutes ago, Django said:

That article is way too detailed to be fake, besides we are technically July 28th in Europe.

Of course the limits are thermal, with unchanged A7 gen4 body and passive cooling they're not going to achieve miracles.

At 4k/30 the R IV is reading more data (5.9k oversampled) from the sensor than the S III at 60p and the R IV has a limit of 170 minutes (three times longer). Sure a much bigger sensor area is being read so maybe it's thermal limitations of the sensor. If it is then cool-down times at least should be acceptable.

1 hour ago, TheBoogieKnight said:

At 4k/30 the R IV is reading more data (5.9k oversampled) from the sensor than the S III at 60p and the R IV has a limit of 170 minutes (three times longer). Sure a much bigger sensor area is being read so maybe it's thermal limitations of the sensor. If it is then cool-down times at least should be acceptable.

Isn't the R IV a 4:2:0 8bit though?  Also, I still think we are going to see XEVC-S based on H.265, so also more heat there as well for processing (now that being said, the R IV would generate heat during down sampling, so could be a mute point).  We will know more tomorrow, hopefully I can sleep (sad, I know) lol

Nokishita just tweeted out a link to an unlistied Youtube B&H review of the a7s3 that froze about 10-minutes after I started watching. The video is now private. I'm cancelling the R5 order and selling my EOS R to stick with Sony. This will be my video workhorse.

A summary:

A few flavors of XAVC including all-I and Long GOP in 4k and HD.

You pick the level of compression, then the resolution, then framerate - from what I remember every bitrate option can record all resolutions and framerates.

The tester couldn't get it to overheat at 4k60p after over an hour of recording outside in the sun.

Same color science as the FX9 and Venice.

The goofy colored new menus SAR had are real, full touchscreen navigation.

All framerates are 10-bit 4:2:2 internal including 120fps, though the max 600mbps needs V90 cards.

Full AF with all framerates, a more Canon-like touchscreen for AF.

The AF points in that leaked doc are correct 700+ PDAF and another 400+ CDAF.

External 16-bit raw is real, though they don't know how its actually gonna be recorded.

No pans but he said rolling shutter is pretty much eliminated.

IBIS is the reported 5.5 stops, looks like the same Sony IBIS.

Has the ZV1 digital stabilization and the FX9 metadata stabilization - this is what he was talking about when the video froze.

He didn't get to the EVF

Looking forward to the announcement.

Chris

2 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Nokishita just tweeted out a link to an unlistied Youtube B&H review of the a7s3 that froze about 10-minutes after I started watching. The video is now private. I'm cancelling the R5 order and selling my EOS R to stick with Sony. This will be my video workhorse.

A summary:

A few flavors of XAVC including all-I and Long GOP in 4k and HD.

You pick the level of compression, then the resolution, then framerate - every bitrate option can record all resolutions and framerates.

The tester couldn't get it to overheat at 4k60p after over an hour of recording outside in the sun.

Same color science as the FX9 and Venice.

The goofy colored new menus SAR had are real, full touchscreen navigation.

All framerates are 10-bit 4:2:2 internal including 120fps, though the max 600mbps needs V90 cards.

Full AF with all framerates, a more Canon-like touchscreen for AF.

The AF points in that leaked doc are correct 700+ PDAF and another 400+ CDAF.

External 16-bit raw is real, though they don't know how its actually gonna be recorded.

No pans but he said rolling shutter is pretty much eliminated.

IBIS is the reported 5.5 stops, looks like the same Sony IBIS.

Has the ZV1 digital stabilization and the FX9 metadata stabilization - this is what he was talking about when the video froze.

He didn't get to the EVF

Looking forward to the announcement.

Chris

Cinetone confirmed?