Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Nokishita just tweeted out a link to an unlistied Youtube B&H review of the a7s3 that froze about 10-minutes after I started watching. The video is now private. I'm cancelling the R5 order and selling my EOS R to stick with Sony. This will be my video workhorse.

A summary:

A few flavors of XAVC including all-I and Long GOP in 4k and HD.

You pick the level of compression, then the resolution, then framerate - from what I remember every bitrate option can record all resolutions and framerates.

The tester couldn't get it to overheat at 4k60p after over an hour of recording outside in the sun.

Same color science as the FX9 and Venice.

The goofy colored new menus SAR had are real, full touchscreen navigation.

All framerates are 10-bit 4:2:2 internal including 120fps, though the max 600mbps needs V90 cards.

Full AF with all framerates, a more Canon-like touchscreen for AF.

The AF points in that leaked doc are correct 700+ PDAF and another 400+ CDAF.

External 16-bit raw is real, though they don't know how its actually gonna be recorded.

No pans but he said rolling shutter is pretty much eliminated.

IBIS is the reported 5.5 stops, looks like the same Sony IBIS.

Has the ZV1 digital stabilization and the FX9 metadata stabilization - this is what he was talking about when the video froze.

He didn't get to the EVF

Looking forward to the announcement.

Chris

It is a b and h advert. They also said they couldn't get the r6 to overheat lol. 

12 hours ago, Hangs4Fun said:

Agreed on a huge boom in memory cards to support all of this crazy 8k and 12k RAW output, that was the main driver for me to buy stock in a few of the companies that produce them.  Don't get me wrong, I love RAW, but only shoot with it if I am getting paid extra (or it's a special pet project to me), but rarely am I seeing interest in RAW production requirements (granted, take that with a grain of salt, I'm a small production company and pick up commercials and corporate work here and there.  I'm sure there is more demand for the RAW workflow in cinema and music videos, neither of which I have had the opportunity to do yet).

With the small budgets most music videos have, I doubt there is a huge demand for raw video there either. Unless it is a pet passion project, like you referred to before. 

12 hours ago, Laurier said:

If the rumours are correct we are getting something better than a Venice or a Fx9 in a much more compact package for less money

HIGHLY doubt that

VENICE / FX9 are not the size they are for no reason whatsoever. 
FX9 isn't so old that tech has rapidly leaped forward to the extent the insides can be miniaturized into a little a7 body. 

11 hours ago, Dave Del Real said:

What are the chances the A7III gets a firmware update to get at least a few of these features? Heck, I'd be glad to get 4K60p even in 8bit 4:2:0 and/or 10bit 4:2:2 in 1080p. The A7III is more than capable of this.

Sony doesn't have a track record if giving big improvements via new firmware updates to their old cameras. (unless forced to, like what happened with the F5)

Thus I reckon this is highly unlikely the a7mk3 would get such an update. 

Maaaaybe if we were discussing Fuji instead, this would be a slim possibility. Perhaps. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

HIGHLY doubt that

FX9 isn't so old that tech has rapidly leaped forward to the extent the insides can be miniaturized into a little a7 body. 

if it doesn't have Venice/FX9 color science then I am screwed, I can not work with a camera with zombie skin tone, I hope you are wrong, if not, Komodo will be my last hope.

So 30min before overheating in 4k120p and 1.1 crop. Should we sue Sony? Lol. 

Joke appart I like that the 4K60p is good to go without overheating and that it’s full pixel readout and doesn’t need crazy expensive memory cards. 
However 12mpx for stills is not enough for me, so I would have to keep my A7III. Not as good as having everything in one with the Canon. Not to mention poor IBIS.
Yet if the Canon cannot record a min of video after you shoot 30 pics.... 

So what I am gonna do is I’ll keep my R5 order, test it in my real world usage and if it’s unusable I’ll return it and if it ends up being fine I’ll happily keep it. It’s perfect cause it’s summer now. If I can shoot pictures and small 20 seconds 4K120p clips for 3H straight outside then it’s a go. If not then I guess it’s gonna be another 5 years before I get my dream camera lol. 

B&H video is basically one big Sony commercial. Salesman in the video would literally have you sign a mortgage if he could. Zero critical thinking. We’ll have to wait for more independent sources to know it’s potential flaws, especially real world overheating limits.

But anyways, video confirms all the rumors and puts an end to speculation. We finally have a Sony Alpha camera with 10-bit ALL-I codecs & 4K HFR. Enhanced AF. Touch AF. New menus. About time.

Still I can’t help but not feel too much excitement. Maybe I’m just being conservative because after a 6 month Canon hype train we were met with utter disappointment.

Or maybe it’s because it feels Sony is playing catch-up. I mean Panasonic, Fuji & now Canon all offer 10-bit & 4K60p. And with at least twice or more MP for stills. Just doesn’t feel so special.

Of course there is a lot to like here as well, but after a 4 year wait and for a whopping 4200€.. I guess I was really hoping my expectations would be exceeded.. but instead they were just met.

All that said, if indeed the thermal balance is double that of Canon and there are no nasty surprises, I will most likely pull the trigger.

26 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

So what I am gonna do is I’ll keep my R5 order, test it in my real world usage and if it’s unusable I’ll return it and if it ends up being fine I’ll happily keep it. It’s perfect cause it’s summer now. If I can shoot pictures and small 20 seconds 4K120p clips for 3H straight outside then it’s a go. If not then I guess it’s gonna be another 5 years before I get my dream camera lol. 

Please tell us your findings afterwards.

For myself personally shooting wildlife, all I'm looking for is a camera that does 120p 4k reliably with good autofocus and good ergonomics. I've been using a Z Cam E2 and it's been a good fit but it's bulky and no autofocus.  The A7SIII with the Sony 200-600mm lens appears to be an excellent fit for me as long as I can shoot all day with it.

I could have easily gone back to my roots with Canon since I still own the 600mm f/4 lens, but three strikes and you are out:

• Unreliable due to overheating in 4k 120p
  • Ridiculously large files/hard to edit
  • Footage reveals it is incredibly soft in 4k 120p

Now if Sony can avoid those three, I'll be more than happy with the A7SIII for what I do. It would have been nice to have a 20 MP sensor for stills, but I'll work around that by carrying two bodies with me at all times: A9 and A7SIII.

7 minutes ago, ajay said:

hard to edit

That’s gonna be the same on any 10 bit 422 camera. That’s why Fuji went 420. Current PC hardware supports well h265 10bit 420 But not 422. So anything with this will be a nightmare to edit.

As for “incredibly soft 4k120p” we probably didn’t see the same footage.

Also, it’s already confirmed the 4K120 on the Sony will be limited by heat. 

I agree on the file size. One other thing to mention is 4K120p records audio on the Sony, no audio on the Canon. 

1 minute ago, wolf33d said:

That’s gonna be the same on any 10 bit 422 camera. That’s why Fuji went 420. Current PC hardware supports well h265 10bit 420 But not 422. So anything with this will be a nightmare to edit.

I agree on the file size. One other thing to mention is 4K120p records audio on the Sony, no audio on the Canon. 

I agree, If it is h265 4:2:2 10bit will be the same issue and at 600 Mbits max I don't think it will be All-I.

Incredible soft I did not see neither, too me it looks really good, A7sIII could be even better view that is a 1-1 pixel readout...  but the R5 is for sure not incredible soft.

Still for mostly video it looks the A7sIII is a more usable camera. 

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

As much as I dislike Tony Northrup, his latest video did some side-by-side comparison's of the 4k resolution of the R5 and R6. The 4k 120p out of the Canon is incredibly soft. You probably wouldn't notice it in videos involving people, but getting feather/hair detail in wildlife is critical and it appears the resolution from their 120p 4k is comparable to up-rezzed HD. Probably line skipping.

As far as any 10 bit 422 camera causing edit nightmares, my experience is different than yours. Z cam footage is easy to edit with Resolve. Works like a charm. I suspect Sony not to follow in Canon's footsteps. We shall see. I definitely want to test some footage.

Yes, the audio on 4k 120p (A7SIII) is definitely a plus although it is very hard to get clean audio nowadays while filming wildlife. Usually there some man-made noise going on. Very frustrating.

13 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I didn't actually realise the even the latest RTX cards don't support 4:2:2: 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

With the small budgets most music videos have, I doubt there is a huge demand for raw video there either. Unless it is a pet passion project, like you referred to before. 

HIGHLY doubt that

Sony doesn't have a track record if giving big improvements via new firmware updates to their old cameras. (unless forced to, like what happened with the F5)

Thus I reckon this is highly unlikely the a7mk3 would get such an update. 

Maaaaybe if we were discussing Fuji instead, this would be a slim possibility. Perhaps. 

Well the Venice use the A9 sensor so that already few years old and their form factor is built for larger productions with all the require port and connections.

But once you remove the large empty space taken by the fans and those ports you can reduce the form factor significantly, so it s all down to thermal management. 

The FX9 can t even record 120 fps 4k internally  and the Venice can only do it in 2.39, they don t have physical IBS , the Venice do not have autofocus, and in low light the A7siii is probably going to be better ( but I would agree than the Fx9 and Venice are already great)