Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.eoshd.com/news/sony-a7s-iii-is-here-sensible-update-but-not-as-revolutionary-as-hoped-plus-tough-competition-from-panasonic-s1h/

I wouldn't say it was either underwhelming, or fantastically exciting. The 4K/120p 10bit mode looks great. Other than that it seems to be lots of sensible evolutions in all areas that add up to a very usable professional tool.

The combination of features does take some beating. To have that new 10bit codec, continuous 4K 120p, good thermal management, great big high-res EVF, new menus, along with the latest Sony phase-detect AF, does appeal to a lot of people, whereas in comparison the EOS R5 looks like a bit of a broken toy to be honest, with the silly fan strapped to the back.

Sony clearly have a better processor than Canon and better engineering know-how to avoid heat limitations in 4K/120p and 10bit.

I do like the new hybrid SD / CFExpress type A card slots too. The very fast media is barely any larger than UHS II SD.

However, part of me thinks it will be a bit uninspiring to pick up and shoot with. Like all Sonys are.

The new menus look ugly, and all it really seems to amount to is putting the tabs at the side rather than at the top. Fuji's and Panasonic's menus look a lot better.

The playback thumbnails are still dreadful for video clips.

And it remains to be seen what the live-view quality is like and whether it makes use of the 9 million dot EVF and what the focussing aids are like. Is peaking still a fuzzy mess?

I am not a Sony user, but I don't know what are the expectation for people. I mean this camera is better technically than any DSLR or mirrorless camera in term of specs for video. it's 12 megapixel will provide good 4k which is more than enough for 99.9% of shooting. It also permits such a camera to actually work and not overheat. With FF 10 bit and 422 internal until 120 fps, great DR to exceptional lowlight and autofocus, + it seems it has better ergonomics with flip screen and menu. I can't understand how anyone can be disappointing unless its out of budget for some. As a Nikon z6 user I am not interested in Sony's , I already have great color and ergonomics and supreme image quality. If the z6s had the spec like that or just 10 bit log internal with 60 fps 4k I would be in heaven. For me the as a hybrid shooter the 24 megapixel is more important, so I would not even mind a 1 to 5 minutes 120 fps 4k because who shoots 120 fps 4k for 30 minutes... Just derushing that is like 2.5 hours of 24p!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, cameraeye said:

This was one of the things I WAS most excited about with the R5 and using ef glass and their adapter. Native AF with variable ND for all my lenses.

(edit: don't mean to go off topic)

I actually just got something similar for my Sony kit, DEO-Tech OWL Canon EF Lens to Sony E-mount Drop-In Filter Adapter , Kipon does one too with AF but it s more expensive.

18 minutes ago, Vintage Jimothy said:

The problem there is that their existing L-mount lenses are designed for Contrast Focus, so there'd probably still be a growing pains period for Panasonic in transitioning over to Phase Detect. But yes, at this point, they really do need to start to that transition as soon as possible if they want to really seal the deal on the market.

Their MFT lenses work pretty well on Olympus cameras with PDAF. 

16-bit external could be the diamond in the rough here depending on how exactly that pans out.... as well as how good the AF is. My impression is that while Sony might not be knocking on Canon’s door with the FX9 AF, they’re definitely standing on the doorstep. If this new camera has the same/similar performance, it might be the “best kid on the block” so to speak... in the mirrorless hybrid category. The advantages of large photosites shouldn’t be ignored either. It’s not the “FX9 in an a7 body” that everyone was dreaming of, but if those caveats mean that it is a rock-solid performer without quirks, that’s probably worth the few omissions. 

As an aside... where is everyone right now on BRaw vs ProRes Raw? I’ve found the BRaw/Resolve experience to be nothing short of revolutionary, where in contrast, ProRes Raw (at least in my price market) lives almost exclusively on external recorders, and isn’t supported by Davinci (the industry standard color software). My gut tells me BRaw is ultimately the cleaner system, but maybe I’m wrong. Regardless, when are all the other camera manufacturers going to band together and legally swat down Red’s BS? This “no internal Raw” is getting old.

28 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

This is a solid release for people already invested in the system BUT it does kinda feel like Sony is just finally catching up and there's a chance this release will look dated pretty quickly. 

Someone really needs to have a heart to heart with Panasonic about AF, because all of these companies have left the door open for them. Canon tried to shut it (I think?), but that was an unmitigated disaster, but after this release its still open, I think. 

So you need more that 16 bit RAW FF video??? I bet in the next 4 years it will be still the best low light camera. I am a Nikon user and I love my Nikons, but I don't expect anyone to go and build a 12 megapixel FF camera soon. I don't understand those people that only complain, My guess is that Panasonic MLC line will already be dead before they put on sensor pdaf.

3 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I am not a Sony user, but I don't know what are the expectation for people. I mean this camera is better technically than any DSLR or mirrorless camera in term of specs for video. it's 12 megapixel will provide good 4k which is more than enough for 99.9% of shooting. It also permits such a camera to actually work and not overheat. With FF 10 bit and 422 internal until 120 fps, great DR to exceptional lowlight and autofocus, + it seems it has better ergonomics with flip screen and menu. I can't understand how anyone can be disappointing unless its out of budget for some. As a Nikon z6 user I am not interested in Sony's , I already have great color and ergonomics and supreme image quality. If the z6s had the spec like that or just 10 bit log internal with 60 fps 4k I would be in heaven. For me the as a hybrid shooter the 24 megapixel is more important, so I would not even mind a 1 to 5 minutes 120 fps 4k because who shoots 120 fps 4k for 30 minutes... Just derushing that is like 2.5 hours of 24p!!!

The real problem is that it doesn't even surpass products that have already been on the market for quite a while. 

The s1h surpasses it in many respects.

For example, a7siii might have the following flaws: crap ergonomics, crap ibis, crap color, no autofocus with external recording, heat management issues in hot weather and associated recording limits, crap weather sealing, less DR, less video shooting modes, less megapixels for photo mode, less detail in 4k, crap preamps (as with a7iii), less reliable, etc.

But its benefits are 4k60p and 120p and autofocus (which most pros don't rely on).  

Its just a bit meh. 

I don’t see anyone talking about the very low expected rolling shutter. We got a preview of it from that German Vlog (I’m now 99% sure it was shot on A7S3). 

That’s another really strong edge for this camera IMO opening up all kinds of action shots and fast camera movements. Pretty excited to find out more about that.

5 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

If the z6s had the spec like that or just 10 bit log internal with 60 fps 4k I would be in heaven. For me the as a hybrid shooter the 24 megapixel is more important, so I would not even mind a 1 to 5 minutes 120 fps 4k because who shoots 120 fps 4k for 30 minutes... Just derushing that is like 2.5 hours of 24p!!!

I actually think Nikon has the advantage of making the Z6s sit between the R5 and A7SIII.  

It also seems like RAW externally over HDMI was a thermal issues as much as a rights issue.   I don't see anything in the A7SIII that the Z6s can't do. 

3 minutes ago, Django said:

I don’t see anyone talking about the very low expected rolling shutter. We got a preview of it from that German Vlog (I’m now 99% sure it was shot on A7S3). 

That’s another really strong edge for this camera IMO opening up all kinds of action shots and fast camera movements. Pretty excited to find out more about that.

Good point.  

1 minute ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

16-bit external could be the diamond in the rough here depending on how exactly that pans out.... as well as how good the AF is. My impression is that while Sony might not be knocking on Canon’s door with the FX9 AF, they’re definitely standing on the doorstep. If this new camera has the same/similar performance, it might be the “best kid on the block” so to speak... in the mirrorless hybrid category. The advantages of large photosites shouldn’t be ignored either. It’s not the “FX9 in an a7 body” that everyone was dreaming of, but if those caveats mean that it is a rock-solid performer without quirks, that’s probably worth the few omissions. 

As an aside... where is everyone right now on BRaw vs ProRes Raw? I’ve found the BRaw/Resolve experience to be nothing short of revolutionary, where in contrast, ProRes Raw (at least in my price market) lives almost exclusively on external recorders, and isn’t supported by Davinci (the industry standard color software). My gut tells me BRaw is ultimately the cleaner system, but maybe I’m wrong. Regardless, when are all the other camera manufacturers going to band together and legally swat down Red’s BS? This “no internal Raw” is getting old.

Braw was fantastic when I was using it with my G2, but for the A7siii I will probably record internally and transcode to DNxHR ( the form factor is why I m making the switch ) .

I did a few projects with a A7iii shooting HLG and it was very correct in post, so hopefully with the 10 bits 4.2.2 + high bitrate we will be able to correct colour balances and exposure disparities without damaging the images too much. 

44 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Was just expecting way more. This is just competing with the S1H that is already released a year ago, you would think they would crush the S1H. People are still wondering now if they should get an A7S III or an S1H, then its a sad release for me. Hopefully some good news will follow soon. Looks like the ump 12K is by far the most interesting camera this year (not talking about the resolution). 

Does the S1H does FF 60 or even 120 FPS?

12 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

So you need more that 16 bit RAW FF video??? I bet in the next 4 years it will be still the best low light camera. I am a Nikon user and I love my Nikons, but I don't expect anyone to go and build a 12 megapixel FF camera soon. I don't understand those people that only complain, My guess is that Panasonic MLC line will already be dead before they put on sensor pdaf.

I'm not complaining at all. I said it was a solid release. But if you don't think these features will be matched, if not beaten, in the next year or so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

And until Atomos comes out with an affordable recorder that can record it, hardly anyone is going to be able to use 16 bit RAW, and frankly most folks don't need 16 bit RAW.

Not everything has to be viewed as super positive, or super negative. This is a fine release, but talk of it "Crushing" this camera or that camera is silly.