Sony A7S III

Andrew Reid

Pretty much everything I need in a small package. Really has everything I could want. Unlimited 4K 10-bit Log recording. 

Also really appreciated them showing the rolling shutter. 

Just holding my breath for the cost.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, Nezza said:

4k 120 internal, rumours got that wrong. Every option seems to be available at every level.

Yep with a minimal 1.1 crop that is very acceptable. Limit is 20min so not that better than R5 but probably quality is better here.

Also seems possible to record in 4:2:0 10bit that is good for HW acceleration for editing

Just now, gt3rs said:

Yep with a minimal 1.1 crop that is very acceptable. Limit is 20min so not that better than R5 but probably quality is better here.

Also seems possible to record in 4:2:0 10bit that is good for HW acceleration for editing

20 mins is more than enough for these short clips at that FR, assuming it doesn't cripple the camera for hours afterwards R5 style. That's the issue for me, overall thermal management.

1 minute ago, Nezza said:

20 mins is more than enough for these short clips at that FR, assuming it doesn't cripple the camera for hours afterwards R5 style. That's the issue for me, overall thermal management.

The limit is there for thermal so it could be the same c..p as R5 or much better but the limit is thermal driven. I would never take in one shoot 15 or 20 min of 120 but many short ones yes.

First R5 vs A7S3 comparison..

As far as overheat, the R5 actually BEATS the A7S3 in exterior Florida heat test in 4K60p. A7S3 shut down in 23mn!

Indoors however, A7S3 had a clear lead it seems.

Overall A7S3 seems like the more flexible video tool in all areas, but overheating remains a reality and this real world test seems to show worst performance on the Sony in hot weather. 

4 minutes ago, Django said:

As far as overheat, the R5 actually BEATS the A7S3 in exterior Florida heat test in 4K60p. A7S3 shut down in 23mn!

Indoors however, A7S3 had a clear lead it seems.

Overall A7S3 seems like the more flexible video tool in all areas, but overheating remains a reality and this real world test seems to show worst performance on the Sony in hot weather. 

There we go with the amazing thermal advantage... seems the motto of these releases is: no fan no fun

2 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Tony Northrup latest videos shows direct comparison of footage between R6 and A7S in 4K60p. The R6 is cleaner and sharper, which is mind blowing at $1000 less. Also a much better photo tool at 20mpx vs 12mpx. 

oversampled > 1:1 nothing shocking here

15 minutes ago, Django said:

The A7S blows the R5 in low light (expected) 
The R5 beating the A7S in rolling shutter? I did not expect that. 
That IBIS comparison though... Sony is years behind on that. 
And the R5 beating the Sony in overheating outside? Sounds almost weird..!