The absolutely mega Olympus E-M10 III - Oversampled 4.6K no crop 5 axis IBIS for $500!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Original file is available to download on Vimeo (click the video title above).

Want the absolute best cheap low-end camera for 4K shooting? You're looking at it.

I think the E-M10 III at $500 might just be the best value for money 4K camera now available, but it's easy to lose sight of that. With the recent price race to the top, I'm starting to wonder how monied you have to be. A certain "DSLR video" blog currently features an Alpa cage on a Hasselblad H6D 100C! Anyone got a spare $40,000?

Read the full article

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I considered to buy this camera and you are right, but one thing stopped me to buy it, the lack of log or HLG. HLG is enough for casual 4K shooting, but in my opinion 4K without HDR is not so different from HD SDR. I’m talking of no pro works, just home video and/or casual video and the lack of HLG in my opinion is important. I hope in a firmware upgrade of it, talking with Olympus guy at their showroom seems to me that could be a problem of CPU, but at the end HLG is only a different gamma curve and probably not so demanding in more CPU power. 

I got the MIII refurbed on sale from Olympus to replace my fiancee's G7X for $400 with kit lens. Great  4K videos but haven't had the chance to compare it with my XT3 but certainly for the price it is amazing and it is better looking and much more compact than the XT3 especially with the pancake sized EZ zoom kit lens.