Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Quick question: does the pocket 4K battery charge, when the camera is off and is plugged into a wall socket? 

(as I read in the manual you can charge it over USB when the camera is off, but does not seem to mention through wall socket)

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Quick question: does the pocket 4K battery charge, when the camera is off and is plugged into a wall socket? 

(as I read in the manual you can charge it over USB when the camera is off, but does not seem to mention through wall socket)

Yes

10 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Thanks for sharing! Given the difference in the sensor stack on the P4K, I am surprised that there isn't more of a difference. I would have thought removing 1.5mm of glass from the stack would have made more of a difference.

9 hours ago, drm said:

Thanks for sharing! Given the difference in the sensor stack on the P4K, I am surprised that there isn't more of a difference. I would have thought removing 1.5mm of glass from the stack would have made more of a difference.

i grabbed this from comments under the video

Optical comparison between Metabones' new speed booster designed specifically for BMPCC4K and general micro 4/3 cameras. XL 0.64 versions. In the last 20 seconds of this video I demonstrate that the focal plane of the new speed booster seems to have a larger angle of concave curvature than the m4/3 speed booster. The central focal point of the new booster is farther from camera than the edge focal points compared to the m4/3 booster. Physically the two boosters are near identical with the exception of the rear element of the BMPCC4K booster protruding farther (hence its incompatibility with most other m4/3 mount cameras).

i wonder if it protrudes more to compensate for the reportedly thinner sensor stack the p4k has ?

Personally i'm not seeing a huge amount of difference.There is some difference but not the huge jump i would have expected or perhaps was hoping for. I have to  save my coin  for abit regardless so it will be interesting to see what other peoples conclusions are but i'm still thinking a second hand 0.64 is is better value for me anyway at this point.

11 hours ago, drm said:

The one Sigma 35mm I found, is the F1.4 DG HSM and infinity is 78.8 and close distance the exit pupil is 81.9.

The Milvus 35mm is 66 for comparison, so the difference can be more substantial here.

It is a lens to lens difference, if you have an AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR @ all, where the exit pupil is 146.3 then you do not care much, if at all, but if you have wider primes, or Zeis, or legacy film lenses that can go as low as 50, then maybe you care.

There was a talk of weird examples on the internet about P4K and Metabones, we saw a video above that the film maker stated that Metabones don't match well the P4K, depending the eye of the creator and viewers, but also the lens used, there were complaints, or not.

We spend thousands of 💰for the best lens/camera combo, and then you put a 20€ vND in front of your lens? Some do.

Everyone has various limits, some want the best of the best for their P4K, some are fine with lesser - and much cheaper, solutions.

Now, if you are buying a Metabones and you own just the P4K, then you shop the special adapter, the issue is for people owning multiple m43 cameras.

I will be waiting for a few more tests and I would like to see the difference in performance with native lenses also.

@Kisaha The difference in sensor stack size between the P4K and other M4/3 cameras should be most visible with native lenses at very wide apertures. I did some quick testing a few days back with my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens. I didn't notice a drop in image quality between my GH5s and my P4K, even using that lens wide open. At some point I am going to try and set up a test scene and look at this issue in more detail. There may be differences with that lens between the two platforms, but my initial look didn't reveal anything that stood out.

3 hours ago, leslie said:

i wonder if it protrudes more to compensate for the reportedly thinner sensor stack the p4k has ?

Yes. I am sure that is the cause. I also think that Kisaha is correct. That particular lens in that video didn't show a big difference because the exit pupil is about 80. A shorter exit pupil will likely show different results.

You just *know* that in the future you are going to hear horror stories about someone putting the new Metabones adapter on a normal M4/3 camera and messing up or scratching the sensor stack.

1 hour ago, drm said:

@Kisaha The difference in sensor stack size between the P4K and other M4/3 cameras should be most visible with native lenses at very wide apertures. I did some quick testing a few days back with my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens. I didn't notice a drop in image quality between my GH5s and my P4K, even using that lens wide open. At some point I am going to try and set up a test scene and look at this issue in more detail. There may be differences with that lens between the two platforms, but my initial look didn't reveal anything that stood out.

Thank you very much, If I had the time I should be doing some testing myself.

Some Zeiss and Voigtlander can go as low as 25! I am not sure about this one, but there must be some difference.

First of all, I have to clear out that my knowledge in optics is like most people in this forum, pretty basic!

Since the Metabones release, I tried to learn as much I could about the subject matter because it is something new to me. e.g. I read in the BM forums that BM cameras and the P4K specifically, are prone to fugus eating the sensor(!) glass. Are those "missing" millimeters from the sensor responsible for that?

I seriously want an official statement address the sensor issue

A) why only BM uses those kind of m43 sensors? Are they cheaper maybe?

B) what is missing from the sensor stack?

C) how does it affect native m43 lenses?

2 of the productions companies I work mostly (the others shoot FS7mkII and one C200 cameras) use GH5, LS300 and Pocket4K cameras, and we already use some Metabones.

Now, I may order a personal P4K soon-ish (I have a project in September/October that I would like to strictly use my own equipment) and I want to do it right; also, when/if the GH6 is out next year, and if I want it, do I have to spend another 750-800€ for another adapter?

If what you say is true than I have a black market a7siii with 8k 60p raw and 4K 60p 10 bit quad Bayer. I also have a canon eos r II with 12 bit 4K raw. Also the c200 is $1500 and magic lantern hacked the c100 to shoot 4K raw.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

BMPCC4K Summer Sale? €475,- again? 😁

gWKBgMB_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

if its a mark two  p4k with a flippy screen and internal variable nd i'm going to scream ...

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Let the speculation begin:

I speculate:

1. New 4k Micro Cinema Camera based on the Fairchild MST4323. https://www.fairchildimaging.com/products/scmos-sensors/mst4323 with 4k @ 120 and 1080p @ 240, great low light and excellent dynamic range, dual micro XLR inputs with phantom power and SDI 1080p output via brake out cable shipping by the end of October, priced at $1295 with Resolve Studio.

2. BRAW codac update with improved my gradation and true 12 bit performance

3. Pocket 4k and USRA Mini Pro G2 offers Cinema DNG recording options for $99 license fee.

4. Resolve 16 is out of beta.

11 hours ago, drm said:

@Kisaha The difference in sensor stack size between the P4K and other M4/3 cameras should be most visible with native lenses at very wide apertures. I did some quick testing a few days back with my Voigtlander 25mm f/0.95 lens.

It's probably worth mentioning that there are three magic ingredients here..  "wide aperture", "MFT", and "sharpness".  Our problem is that if we're testing the adapter for how sharp it is, then we're in trouble with most/all of the fast MFT lenses, because they are absolutely not sharp when wide open!

I have the 17.5mm f0.95 Voigtlander and the last two stops are quite soft, and compared to the difference that the adapter is likely to be making they are probably useless.

What we need is for someone to test it with a lens that actually is razor sharp when wide open, and for that I think we have to adapt something else.  Just look at the lens test that @BTM_Pix posted in the Lenses thread - how much sharper the master prime was than the Rokinon or Dog Schidt lenses when wide open, and then look at the size / cost comparison!

I'd be surprised if any of us with our mere mortal lens collections would be able to tell any difference at all.

Looked around the website and read specs, so if I’m correct, the weight and size/design between 4K and 6K units are the exact same? Can’t find any comparison options so am I correct to assume this?

15 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Looked around the website and read specs, so if I’m correct, the weight and size/design between 4K and 6K units are the exact same? Can’t find any comparison options so am I correct to assume this?

I do not know for sure, but there are obvious differences around the much bigger EF mount.

At least one dimension is bigger (width), and I would guess the bigger sensor and larger body surface increases the weight too.

I am only guessing of course.