Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

21 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Great news for people who already have one camera with the software though!

Yeah, but not for BlackMagic... their slow rollout of this camera may have hurt sales of Resolve Studio for the immediate future.

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

I used BRaw with Resolve Lite on an old Macbook Pro, never installed the full version.
No issues, was like editing Prores or cDNG, smooth sailing.

That’s good to know but I think you lose some of the “raw” functionality without the BRaw Panel?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Maybe, but I didn't feel I was missing anything of importance :)

Glad to hear it. I’m probably going to go a different route than the P4K but if the right price pops up on the used market, without the software, I’d like to know my options... even though I’d mostly likely shoot 1080p ProRes on the P4K.

52 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Same here, will buy it (again) when it's nice and cheap on the used market.

Yup, I’ve been saying to my friends... I’ll buy the GH5 or BMPCC 4K when one or the other hit $1000 or less... meanwhile I’m still on the lookout for a cheap Micro. 

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yup, I’ve been saying to my friends... I’ll buy the GH5 or BMPCC 4K when one or the other hit $1000 or less... meanwhile I’m still on the lookout for a cheap Micro. 

Actually saw a GH5 for $1k including a lens which I could sell for $2-250. So it won't be long, pretty much no hype left surrounding it.

But honestly, the more I shoot with the Micro.. this thing is special.

11 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Actually saw a GH5 for $1k including a lens which I could sell for $2-250. So it won't be long, pretty much no hype left surrounding it.

But honestly, the more I shoot with the Micro.. this thing is special.

That’s not a bad deal at all!

I’m looking at it like this... the Micro for the ease of ProRes or the GH5 for the ease of handheld. I haven’t decided which is more important to me yet... or if I need either.

I am considering to buy a BMPCC 4k.

I need to know if the camera actually loses the file as soon as the battery stops working!? Or is the file that was recording while the camera battery broke still useable? I heard that it's gone!? Is that true!? (at the Gh5 it's still there as far as I know?)

I hope that someone can help.

I am considering to buy a BMPCC 4k.

I need to know if the camera actually loses the file as soon as the battery stops working!? Or is the file that was recording while the camera battery broke still useable? I heard that it's gone!? Is that true!? (at the Gh5 it's still there as far as I know?)

I hope that someone can help.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

That’s not a bad deal at all!

I’m looking at it like this... the Micro for the ease of ProRes or the GH5 for the ease of handheld. I haven’t decided which is more important to me yet... or if I need either.

Yeah, the biggest problem with my Micro is that it is literally the most difficult camera to use in the history of cameras... and that's from an owner of the original BMPCC. To get my Micro to work for my run-and-gun style, I've needed

1) A cage 

2) an HDMI cable lock

3) a Blackmagic URSA Mini handle, with LANC cable

4) an offset Arri rosette, purchased from a guy who makes them in Russia 

5) a right angle-to-straight HDMI cable for the monitor

6) a monitor, with 6B) a battery sled

7) a Sony battery (and charger) for the monitor

8} a One Little Remote control box, and 8B) a separate mounting screw for the cage

9) a Sennheiser MKE400 small shotgun mic for usable sound, with 9B) a screw-in cold shoe mount

This rig took me a ton of research and about 3 months to get together. And the camera is still barely usable - even the One Little Remote (which is great, compared to the laughable buttons on the front of the Micro) doesn't have a screen, so you have to guess if you've pressed a button once or twice or 3 times to figure out which parameter you're on. He's made a new one with a screen, but I don't want to buy yet another thing (though at some point I will). And nothing's worse than having your monitor run out of juice... and realize that your camera is still going strong, but there's no way to see what you're shooting.

Now, to get a fully useable rig for my BMPCC4K, I've had to buy...

1) Nothing.

Yep. Great (stereo!) audio from in camera, huge built-in monitor, tons of easy access buttons, plus a touch screen and amazing UI. I literally have NOTHING on the camera. And it's about 2 lbs. lighter than my Micro.

The Micro's image quality is indeed delicious, but it's a preposterously huge hassle to shoot with, comparatively. Nonetheless, you'll never get me to sell it ;)

17 minutes ago, StHubbins said:

Yeah, the biggest problem with my Micro is that it is literally the most difficult camera to use in the history of cameras... and that's from an owner of the original BMPCC. To get my Micro to work, I've needed

A positive is that buying the Micro today used includes all you need. Fully rigged kits go for peanuts while people jump to the new one. Once the sales of the BMPCC4K has settled the prices might swing up again. 

I had several to choose from before settling on kit with the camera, small rig cage, metabones bmpcc speedbooster, Ursa side grip, 512gb SanDisk Extreme, Breakoutbox, HDMI Clamp, arri rosette and a bunch of other little nick nacks. Set me back less than the retail of the camera alone.

Added a screen and I was good to go.

It's the same with the BMCC, BMPCC and the BMPCC. Loads of accessories in already affordable kits.

But I agree, the BMPCC4K is much easier to handle. Shooting it is a breeze. Much closer to the BMCC than the BMPCC. (Which goes nicely together with the not unpopular theory that it was supposed to be the BMCCii.)

1 minute ago, Mattias Burling said:

A positive is that buying the Micro today used includes all you need. Fully rigged kits go for peanuts while people jump to the new one. Once the sales of the BMPCC4K has settled the prices might swing up again. 

I had several to choose from before settling on kit with the camera, small rig cage, metabones bmpcc speedbooster, Ursa side grip, 512gb SanDisk Extreme, Breakoutbox, HDMI Clamp, artikeln rosette and a bunch of other little nick nacks. Set me back less than the retail of the camera alone.

Added a screen and I was good to go.

It's the same with the BMCC, BMPCC and the BMPCC. Loads of accessories in already affordable kits.

True, it's best to buy already built kits. Which is one reason I'm NOT selling mine, NOBODY'S gonna slide in and take all my hard work and tears putting that crazy rig together!!1!

I will say, the original BMPCC is MUCH easier to use (for me) than the Micro. All I need is the mini-shotgun mic, and a Kinotehnik loupe, and I'm good to go.

Agreed, the BMPCC is also easy. But once rigged (I never take it apart) the Micro is like most cameras if you are in somewhat consistent lighting conditions (changing WB without a remote is annoying to say the least).

But those sort of things are a bit annoying on the original pocket as well. The BMPCC4K is more like the BMCC there. 

Another nice thing with a Breakoutbox is that I can power both the camera and screen with the same battery. And since the screen accepts both Sony and Canon batteries it gives me options. On the BMPCC4K you obviously don't need to since it's screen is big enough.

34 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Agreed, the BMPCC is also easy. But once rigged (I never take it apart) the Micro is like most cameras if you are in somewhat consistent lighting conditions (changing WB without a remote is annoying to say the least).

But those sort of things are a bit annoying on the original pocket as well. The BMPCC4K is more like the BMCC there. 

Another nice thing with a Breakoutbox is that I can power both the camera and screen with the same battery. And since the screen accepts both Sony and Canon batteries it gives me options. On the BMPCC4K you obviously don't need to since it's screen is big enough.

Hmm, what is this Breakoutbox you speak of? Is that Phil Lemon's project, or a standard breakout box?

A great thing about the Micro is the 3:1 RAW, so thank God I don't have to worry about screwing up the white balance. BMPCC has RAW too, but it's ungodly huge and impossible to play without transcoding, so I never used it much.

Also, the only time I've ever been shut down for shooting something was with my Micro rig. And I was just filming my family ice skating!

Granted, I live in LA, so people are more attuned to this stuff, but here I am, filming my family skating at an outdoor rink around Christmas, and the Manager comes up to me...

"Hey man, you can't shoot with that thing here."

"What? Why not? Everybody here is filming their family on their phones, etc."

"Yeah, but you've got a whole professional camera deal. We've got rules about that."

"Look, that guy over there is filming with a Canon 5D Mk IV, that camera costs three times as much as mine!"

"Yeah, but you got this mic and stuff, it's making people nervous. Sorry dude."

...So, of course, I pretended to agree, waited til he left, then shot at waist level, glancing down at my monitor surreptitiously... Two minutes later...

"No, dude. I can still tell you're filming. You gotta put it away or leave."

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME? WITH ALL THE STUFF IN THE WORLD THAT HAPPENS, YOU GOTTA SHUT DOWN A DAD FILMING HIS FAMILY?! C'MON EVERYONE, GET THE SKATES OFF, WE'RE LEAVING. THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!"

😄