Jump to content
Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Recommended Posts

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am almost 60 years old. Been shooting since I was 15. 45 years - holy crap that is almost 1/2 a century. I have seen many leaps in technology.  Today I still work full-time creating videos using Sony RX10 IV's. Still shoot stills with Nikon. Been with Nikon since the beginning.I have tried Canon & Panasonic. I liked Canon to a point but always went back to the Nikon because of the lenses. However I had a brand new 10-24 Nikkor that needed warranty repair. That was a first for me. They just don't make them like they use too.  Anyway I saw Andrews post about sticking a camera up an arse? That sounds painful. Point being - no camera will ever be the end all.....and especially now it will just keep getting crazier. You want to know what is crazy? My first BetaCam cost $35,000. Shot standard def video on tape. Man what I would not have gave back in 1985 to have a camera like the Sony RX10 IV. 4K video shot on memory card? The Sony is not perfect either. No camera is. For awhile I chased every new camera. First the RED - which I had on order but passed. Before that I was ready to purchase a $60,000 Panasonic VariCam that shot 720p. Whew - glad I did not go that route. In 2006 I finally got into HD (sort of) with the Panasonic HVX. It shot great 720p video but the 1080 sucked. I met Barry Green at some local show and in 2007 I worked the Panasonic Booth at NAB. It was a great experience but they never called me back. I did purchase the Panasonic GH2. Awesome video for the day. But the photo side sucked. Then I added the Blackmagic BMPC I think it was called? Again awesome video but the ergonomics sucked. I rushed to buy the Blackmagic pocket camera. Very disappointing. I sold the HVX, GH2 and the Blackmagics and settled on the Sony RX10. I used that camera for quite a while. All along I kept my eye on the trends and passed on the other Sony RX10 upgrades. Then I shut down my video business in 2015 and took a full time job which offered a great salary and healthcare. Something I could not afford anymore because of ObamaCare.  At my new job I was able to set-up a video/photo department. We have 2 Sony RX10 IV's and we use Nikon D5600's for photo work. And the best part is I don't have to pay for anything any longer! It's a lot more fun to do video/photo work without worrying about where the next paycheck is coming from. As it so happens I was in Las Vegas in April on a family trip and managed to go to the NAB show on opening day. I have not been to one since I worked the 2007 show. It was the same except the technology has changed. Still crowded. Most of the people working the booths had no idea what they were talking about. Saw Barry Green doing a "live show" which was pretty bad. You would have thought that Panasonic would have had a better presentation by now? I could go on - but the point being - technology will always improve - maybe get cheaper and I wish I was 20 again!   Ha

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hugofilipe said:

It does record 4K cdng 60fps, if 30fps is 272MBps, 60fps is 544MBps.

Most CFast and SSD dont write at this speed, how will this work out?

I've been using that kind of math too, but BM have said that you can record 4k60p RAW through the USB-C providing your drive is fast enough. 1015439305_ScreenShot2018-09-12at07_03_32.thumb.png.e185cefb51096e7f6299b56996dd213b.png

6 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

does anyone know if blackmagic will have (or already has) a phone app that acts as remote viewfinder/shutter control?

They do not. They have an iPad app to control the camera settings and start stop recording, but no viewfinder. They've made all the necessary info available to developers so they can create their own, third party apps, but it's my understanding the the live view thing isn't possible via Bluetooth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1st - people not happy with this site should go elsewhere. 

2nd - this site produces valuable article on cameras and also a nice exchange place in the forum 

3 - andrew gets less invites to event not because he shoots not as good as Dpreview, but because he is critical. So companies don’t want to hear their camera is shit. But they are. Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right. When things are right he says it too. We need critical people especially when all other reviews have their rating scale between 4/5 and 5/5.

4 - I canceled the BM preorder not because of the joker who produced the answer shown in Andrew’s article but because I realized I am not gonna pay for a camera bigger and heavier than a GH5 FF / A7S3 that has a sensor smaller than a nail and can’t focus. Appreciate he said we are clowns nonetheless  🤡 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

1st - people not happy with this site should go elsewhere. 

2nd - this site produces valuable article on cameras and also a nice exchange place in the forum 

3 - andrew gets less invites to event not because he shoots not as good as Dpreview, but because he is critical. So companies don’t want to hear their camera is shit. But they are. Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right. When things are right he says it too. We need critical people especially when all other reviews have their rating scale between 4/5 and 5/5.

4 - I canceled the BM preorder not because of the joker who produced the answer shown in Andrew’s article but because I realized I am not gonna pay for a camera bigger and heavier than a GH5 FF / A7S3 that has a sensor smaller than a nail and can’t focus. Appreciate he said we are clowns nonetheless  🤡 

“Most cameras are shit.” That’s classic. 🤣😂😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just peeped the Cinema5D report.. looks like you couldn't even record any footage at the Manchester event..making it kinda pointless to begin with imo?! we already know the specs, and what it looks like. Kinda strange/suspect they'd do that considering the camera is suposedly about to drop and therefore in final production stage. or is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Django said:

Just peeped the Cinema5D report.. looks like you couldn't even record any footage at the Manchester event..making it kinda pointless to begin with imo?! we already know the specs, and what it looks like. Kinda strange/suspect they'd do that considering the camera is suposedly about to drop and therefore in final production stage. or is it?

It's probably because they wanted to host a publicity event for camera youtubers in Europe (Andrew has a blog and forum of course but doesn't do on camera reviews or interviews. Maybe that is the differentiating factor of why he was overlooked.) and do it in a stylish looking environment, but they didn't want torture test footage out there of a dimly lit bar. Probably one of the worst lighting conditions you can have for a video camera.  Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

The one interesting thing I got from their coverage of that event was the ISO chart which I already mentioned about a page back.  The distribution of stops above and below middle grey changes with the ISO fairly significantly and because of the dual native ISO there is a huge switch (almost a reverse in polarity if you will) going from 1000 to 1250.  A small change in brightness but potentially a big change in how the image looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jonpais said:

“Most cameras are shit.” That’s classic. 🤣😂😆

my interpretation was that "most cameras have something that is shit about them".  I raved about my d800 but the focusing is pretty shit. (*Caveat: some things are subjectively, not objectively shit :D)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Classic phrase haha.

Most cameras are shit in about 6 months when the next one comes out!

Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)

They will all be back to the warm embrace of the full frame look and IBIS, huge EVF and looooong battery life, 240fps and 10bit on an A7S III / Panasonic full frame Lumix in no time.

29 minutes ago, MattH said:

Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

I can imagine. It wouldn't do them any favours. Maybe that's why they didn't let Cinema5D shoot with it haha :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

 

Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)

 

Well thats where prores comes in, a codec that edits like butter. Comparing vs the A7S III, panasonic full frame codecs. But I do agree a lot of users will switch back, because they want ibis and a camera that does all the work for them :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure if its been put forward before or even if you have considered it yourself, but why not have a donate button on your front page for a popular product you could raise some money buy the latest camera or lens, review it post your review. hold on to it for a couple of months for an extended review then hold a forum lottery with one of us lucky subscribers who donated  winning it. i haven't pre booked the bm4k yet because... well been burned before going down that path so i can wait a few weeks or more if it's that good and everyone raves about it. i would think more than a few of your subscribers could wait short period for an honest review as well. i not saying that i would be throwing money your way every week but i could afford a couple of dollars once a month if there was a chance of winning something immediately more useful than say a school raffle plus the chance to win something would have to be better than winning the national lottery surely. that way we help you to help us your not beholden to the manufacturers of the tech we all enjoy.if it proved popular i would think after a short period any manufacturer that had a good bit of gear and knew it  would be happy to send a unit in for review. well thats my 2  cents. i guess in about 12 hours from now when i log back in i'm either a genius or condemned to one of the 7 lower hells more likely lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MattH said:

It's probably because they wanted to host a publicity event for camera youtubers in Europe (Andrew has a blog and forum of course but doesn't do on camera reviews or interviews. Maybe that is the differentiating factor of why he was overlooked.) and do it in a stylish looking environment, but they didn't want torture test footage out there of a dimly lit bar. Probably one of the worst lighting conditions you can have for a video camera.  Imagine some noob just waving the camera round with an unstabilised lens, not focused and stopped down at high ISO with a lot of noise and blown highlights.   It would be counter productive publicity.

Could be a good idea to added some interviews to the EOSHD YouTube channel if Andrew feels like that is something he'd enjoy doing?

I know on my own YouTube channel an interview I did at a trade show is my most viewed video! (which is awful.... as I hate that video, oh well)

51 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)


Is why I often recommend to people we shoot ProRes HQ for a project (especially long projects like a feature film), as you lose only a little vs raw but you gain a much more hassle free life!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Could be a good idea to added some interviews to the EOSHD YouTube channel if Andrew feels like that is something he'd enjoy doing?
 

Like this one with @webrunner5 ** reacting to @Andrew Reid suggesting he might shut the forum ?

 

 

 

 

** You know I mean that affectionately @webrunner5 ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wolf33d said:

3 - Most cameras are shit for various reasons and there is abyssimal margin for improvement, and it’s hard to find à cameras that does most things right.

4 - can’t focus.

Sorry to break it to you, but on both these, that’s were you come in. Maybe you should learn how to handle a camera? I haven’t had a camera with auto-focus for maybe 6-7years now. And I have never had a problem focusing. Maybe step down your aperture, lol

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:


Pocket 4K is flavour of the month but when people start to sit down and actually edit 4K 60p Cinema DNG on their machines, the tears of frustration are going to come pouring out. You think 1080p 24p uncompressed DNG was choppy to edit with big file sizes, you ain't seen nothing yet :)

This is why people transcode footage...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago I bought a nikon D7000 to replace my nikon D90 for stills and video, I read tons of reviews from sites like Dpreview forums,etc... and thought I was buying a great camera (1100€), I had no idea what lineskipping was, and nobody pointed out that the camera was trunkating 2 stops of highlight DR in videomode (like the d800 or worse), so the results were incredibly bad, useless, any crappy lineskipping canon looked better. Eoshd didn't exist back then or I didn't know of it (when I first saw eoshd I thought it was run by some retarded german canon fanboy ,I didn't really pay attention). I ended up selling that piece of shit for 350€, Andrew would have saved me from that.

Eventually I got interested in Anamorphic lenses so I ended up here, reading through all the posts by people who post in a light manner, not the pretentious loser pseudo-professionalism that happens in the rest of video forums. I learned a lot. Thanks Andrew!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...