Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

Ask me any questions you have. Disclaimer: I wasn’t able to get 6k raw to work and need to spend some time getting it in Resolve. For now... here is a first look and impression video with some footage. Some 6k raw was able to be transcoded to 1080p... but that’s it. Seriously been a pain in the neck but it is what it is....

https://youtu.be/jvnf02X3EhU

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Ask me any questions you have. Disclaimer: I wasn’t able to get 6k raw to work and need to spend some time getting it in Resolve. For now... here is a first look and impression video with some footage. Some 6k raw was able to be transcoded to 1080p... but that’s it. Seriously been a pain in the neck but it is what it is....

https://youtu.be/jvnf02X3EhU

Thanks. Too bad battery life still sucks but footages look great

9 hours ago, Kisaha said:

No, it isn't, but it is so small that you can really work around it. No flip/swivel screen either. Doesn't it have a touch screen? I didn't know that. We are very far away from a real one. It is just an announcement, while I have done a few P4K projects already so I know what to expect from ergonomics/menus/workflow.

That is my point, if you are waiting for the next big announcement, it can take you easily to 2022.

These Pockets are good enough for most things and they are available now. The 4K one is so cheap that it doesn't matter if you do a "mistake". 

Imagine buying a Canon C200 mainly for the Raw and EF mount a week ago, and now you can get it for 1/3 of the money and with cheaper media.

at 5'17"

looks like a bit small to me, i like cameras that have a little weight, it helps to be steady when handheld. well we'll see if it is a gamer changer or not.

so far the disruptive company is bmd and i thank them for that

• Super Members
5 hours ago, mercer said:

I was also over at Red User and the conspiracy theorist in me thinks the P6K could be a big middle finger to Red over that lawsuit. Obviously, that is unlikely but the Komodo doesn’t seem as appealing to even some of the diehard Red fans over there. 

What will have stunned them is that BM were able to deliver the camera the day after the announcement while RED are only in the position to show off teaser pictures of theirs.

I don't know how long RED intend to let this routine of putting out teasers go on for but if it continues much longer we'll have to start calling it the Komodo Drag On.

1 minute ago, ade towell said:

Some pretty impressive rolling shutter results for the 6k as reported by Captain Hook on DVXuser

Full 6K : 19.73ms
5.7K crop : 16.26ms
2.8K crop : 7.98ms

Literally the same as XT3.

And literally the maximum permissible rolling shutter given the framerate.

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

The benefits of the c200 are the ergonomics, auto focus, battery life, Internal NDs and reliability. The pocket can probably get close strictly image wise, but it’s a lot harder to get there. 

I said specificaly "imagine buying a Canon C200 mainly for the Raw and EF mount", so I was really specific.

There are 2 ways to use the C200 as it is.

1) a glorified C100. I do a lot of projects per year like this. Shoot 1080p and that's it.

2) cheapest internal raw with EF. The guys that we rent the C200 from do not even have the CFast cards for that! Never used it like this. I even bought one myself (ultra expensive Sandisk, half the price of the P4K!) and finally the producer went the usual 1080p (one of the worst investments I ever did..).

In his video @DaveAltizer makes a similar comparison! (Great minds and all..)

And now we are at it. @DaveAltizer I have some questions.

1) total depth of P4K+Metabones+X lens vs P6K + same X lens. What is the total depth?

2) do you believe the workflow is not ready yet? What about processing computer power for working with 6K footage?

3) low light performance. This is something a lot of people care to know.

4) except 6K, what other modes use all the sensor?

Thanks for the good job, I really enjoy your videos!

Edit: let's get real guys. A lot of people will take the 2495$ price, spent another thousand for rigging that, and still be less than half of what an EVA or C200 costs. These are real life sales over there and the money difference is substantial. A lot of people will do. Spending 7-8-9 thousands for cameras right now ia hard for individuals and they will thing again for spending so much when you have a lot cheaper but still capable options.

I did a sound job for Singaporean TV a month ago and the camera operator here had the C200. The producer thought they were going to take 10bit! When they realize they were getting "prosumer" files they were shocked!

16 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I said specificaly "imagine buying a Canon C200 mainly for the Raw and EF mount", so I was really specific.

There are 2 ways to use the C200 as it is.

1) a glorified C100. I do a lot of projects per year like this. Shoot 1080p and that's it.

2) cheapest internal raw with EF. The guys that we rent the C200 from do not even have the CFast cards for that! Never used it like this. I even bought one myself (ultra expensive Sandisk, half the price of the P4K!) and finally the producer went the usual 1080p (one of the worst investments I ever did..).

In his video @DaveAltizer makes a similar comparison! (Great minds and all..)

And now we are at it. @DaveAltizer I have some questions.

1) total depth of P4K+Metabones+X lens vs P6K + same X lens. What is the total depth?

2) do you believe the workflow is not ready yet? What about processing computer power for working with 6K footage?

3) low light performance. This is something a lot of people care to know.

4) except 6K, what other modes use all the sensor?

Thanks for the good job, I really enjoy your videos!

Edit: let's get real guys. A lot of people will take the 2495$ price, spent another thousand for rigging that, and still be less than half of what an EVA or C200 costs. These are real life sales over there and the money difference is substantial. A lot of people will do. Spending 7-8-9 thousands for cameras right now ia hard for individuals and they will thing again for spending so much when you have a lot cheaper but still capable options.

I did a sound job for Singaporean TV a month ago and the camera operator here had the C200. The producer thought they were going to take 10bit! When they realize they were getting "prosumer" files they were shocked!

1) technically BMPCC 4k with an XL Speedbooster will give you a "larger sensor" than the BMPCC 6k....but with LucAdapter Magicbooster....you can make the BMPCC 6k FULL FRAME potentially! 

2) no workflow isn't ready yet. Resolve is still super buggy cause its in beta and 6k didn't work well on my machine. I am not going to mess with it till it gets better. 

3)low light is great!

4) 4k ProRes uses the full sensor

1 minute ago, DaveAltizer said:

1) technically BMPCC 4k with an XL Speedbooster will give you a "larger sensor" than the BMPCC 6k....but with LucAdapter Magicbooster....you can make the BMPCC 6k FULL FRAME potentially! 

I read this question as physical depth of the camera, from front of the lens to the screen. If that wasn't the question, I'd still like to know :) 

3 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

2) no workflow isn't ready yet. Resolve is still super buggy cause its in beta and 6k didn't work well on my machine. I am not going to mess with it till it gets better. 

3)low light is great!

4) 4k ProRes uses the full sensor

1) I was wondering for actual physical size! I mean in centimeters, which one is physical larger!

2)I thought so..

3) Is low light clearly better than P4K or similar?

4) cheers, that's good. No Braw at 4K not that good though..

I am in the process of choosing one or the other. I am leaning more to the P4K right now..

41 minutes ago, Django said:

One thing RED did right to outsmart BM is use RF mount: future-proof, allows numerous adapters including canons Vari-ND adatper..etc

All new Canon mount cams should go RF imo.

I agree, I think it was a total mistake going EF. They should've went to something more adaptable.

• Administrators

What happens in Resolve 16 Beta when you try and edit the 6K BRAW?

Is it just choppy performance? Or complete crash?

Windows or Mac?

Do you have any original files to share so we can get to the bottom fo why that's happening?

Cheers for the review Dave!

I'll post it to front page as well.

52 minutes ago, Django said:

One thing RED did right to outsmart BM is use RF mount: future-proof, allows numerous adapters including canons Vari-ND adatper..etc

All new Canon mount cams should go RF imo.

maybe it comes down to licensing fees, whoever holds the rf mount may have been holding out for top dollar or just wanted to have it all to themselves. Im just speculating, but its safe to say ef would have been the cheaper option. People will jump on a 6k camera for $2500 make it $3000 and  quite a few are going to think about it for a bit longer

4 minutes ago, leslie said:

maybe it comes down to licensing fees, whoever holds the rf mount may have been holding out for top dollar or just wanted to have it all to themselves. Im just speculating, but its safe to say ef would have been the cheaper option. People will jump on a 6k camera for $2500 make it $3000 and  quite a few are going to think about it for a bit longer

I have no idea about "mount licensing fees".. always assumed camera companies would encourage whoever to use their mount as that means more lens sales but who knows.. my guess is BM went EF as it's the most popular/well-known mount.

9 minutes ago, leslie said:

Indeed. One may use EF for free and reverse engineer it. But RF may require expensive license fees.

Just now, Django said:

I have no idea about "mount licensing fees".. always assumed camera companies would encourage whoever to use their mount as that means more lens sales but who knows.. my guess is BM went EF as it's the most popular/well-known mount.

i don't know either to be honest. I was speculating. I do however think a fair bit of coin comes back to camera manufactures from the sales of lenses and accessories. I seriously doubt that any camera manufacturer is naturally that benevolent or gracious to allow  competing manufacturers the use of their designs and hardwork with out some sort of financial reimbursement.