Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

The funny thing is that as soon as this new camera was announced, all the hurt feelings about BM stripping CDNG evaporated. BRAW it is then!

I mean by using a higher resolution the Braw induced issues are basically irrelevant now.
The image has lots of texture, low freq detail, no visible sharpening, fine grain etc. after the image has been downscaled to 4K.

Am pretty happy about it.

• Super Members
On 8/9/2019 at 7:52 PM, mercer said:

I’m hoping the Sigma FP will come in less than $2000.

I have had a whisper that it will be launched at ¥300,000 in a bundle with the 24-70mm f2.8 Art and ¥180,000 body only.

Which would be $2850/$1700 as a straight conversion but I don't know how much additional it amounts to when it reaches your shores.

Looking at the price of a 24-70mm f2.8 Art at Yodabashi or Bic Camera and converting to dollars its pretty much the same as B&H though.

On 8/9/2019 at 5:28 PM, mercer said:

The S1H and FP are the two big question marks going forward. I can’t foresee myself putting out $4000 for an S1H. Hopefully, the FP will be at or below $2000. I don’t love that you need a SSD for Raw but after seeing the cages Tilta designed for the P4K, it’s not a deal breaker either.

But at my level, I probably should invest in the actual production than the next best camera. 

I think I may rent the P6K, though because I am curious.

Yeah honestly the camera matters so little with a production. A crew is what makes everything happen. That said RAW is definitely nice for whoever is editing it lol 

8 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I have had a whisper that it will be launched at ¥300,000 in a bundle with the 24-70mm f2.8 Art and ¥180,000 body only.

Which would be $2850/$1700 as a straight conversion but I don't know how much additional it amounts to when it reaches your shores.

Looking at the price of a 24-70mm f2.8 Art at Yodabashi or Bic Camera and converting to dollars its pretty much the same as B&H though.

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Art   for L mount is not announced yet and it will be a brand new 24-70 and not the one that is available now.

Just like the 14-24mm f2,8 that is a completely new lens from EF lens.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, nathlas said:

Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 Art   for L mount is not announced yet and it will be a brand new 24-70 and not the one that is available now.

Just like the 14-24mm f2,8 that is a completely new lens from EF lens.

Yeah, I was using the existing lens as an indicative gauge between the variance in price of typical Sigma products in their own domestic market versus the US market but it does give me pause for thought about that bundle as no L mount zooms even appear on the Sigma roadmap let alone have definitive announcements.

It is feasible, if a little clunky, that a bundle could include an MC21 with an existing 24-70mm Art (most likely the SA mount version) although it is equally feasible that the person whispering to me had been hitting the sake a bit too hard the other night.

I guess it might also be feasible that they are using the FP launch as the opportunity to spring a surprise and release the L mount 24-70mm. 

It would certainly be a way of stealthily drawing Leica owners in particular (and Panasonic owners to a lesser degree) in to buying an FP if that bundle was the only way you could get the lens as they'd still be way, way up on the deal versus buying anything remotely similar in existing L mount !

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

weired to see resolve 15 flyer i would have thought they do16

It's strange they put version numbers on at all. Since so far all updates are free, they could just not even mention it on the packet thing.

Also, it's nice to see it's not just double the price for 6k and EF mount. There's also a strap!

10 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

It's strange they put version numbers on at all. Since so far all updates are free, they could just not even mention it on the packet thing.

Also, it's nice to see it's not just double the price for 6k and EF mount. There's also a strap!

that strap is for one of these and the extra batteries you will need for shooting and editing 6k    ?

donkey.jpg

1 hour ago, thephoenix said:

the first lucky guy.

weired to see resolve 15 flyer i would have thought they do16

A strap! Damn..I have to get it now..

The AF at 04:07 is really terrible, it is really a MF camera, which is fine for me. I am doing 95% AF myself, even with C cameras.

What do you guys think, has the P4K+speedbooster+lens less depth than P6K+same said lens?

problem with speedboosters is that it gets really soft when you open full so to me you don't really get a stop

af has never been a subject for bmpcc4k so why should it be with 6k ? i am also all good with mf

anyway this camera is not meant for sport or kind of film where you need af, just like the pros cameras.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah, I was using the existing lens as an indicative gauge between the variance in price of typical Sigma products in their own domestic market versus the US market but it does give me pause for thought about that bundle as no L mount zooms even appear on the Sigma roadmap let alone have definitive announcements.

It is feasible, if a little clunky, that a bundle could include an MC21 with an existing 24-70mm Art (most likely the SA mount version) although it is equally feasible that the person whispering to me had been hitting the sake a bit too hard the other night.

I guess it might also be feasible that they are using the FP launch as the opportunity to spring a surprise and release the L mount 24-70mm. 

It would certainly be a way of stealthily drawing Leica owners in particular (and Panasonic owners to a lesser degree) in to buying an FP if that bundle was the only way you could get the lens as they'd still be way, way up on the deal versus buying anything remotely similar in existing L mount !

There is no chance that they will offer current ART 24-70mm f2,8 of EF or SA mount along with ΜC21.

Is not announced officialy but the 4th L mount that was supposed to build after 45mm f2,8, 35mm f1,2 and new 14-24 f2,8 is the new 24-70mm with L mount (and E mount I believe).

They just delayed that lens propably to offer that as a bundle with FP as you guessed.

4 hours ago, thephoenix said:

problem with speedboosters is that it gets really soft when you open full so to me you don't really get a stop

af has never been a subject for bmpcc4k so why should it be with 6k ? i am also all good with mf

anyway this camera is not meant for sport or kind of film where you need af, just like the pros cameras.

What speedboosters have you experienced this with? I've never noticed this on my lens turbo or metabones. 

5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

The AF at 04:07 is really terrible, it is really a MF camera, which is fine for me. I am doing 95% AF myself, even with C cameras.

What do you guys think (...)

It's a way too early to infer that... : ) Without mention, AF is 50% lens related. The Canon 50mm f/1.2 is known to be worse than the regular/cheaper 50mm f/1.8 when used along video only to serve as example : -)

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Well, that price is doable if the whisper was correct. I’m pretty deep into two projects right now, so any purchase today wouldn’t really be used for another 6 months to a year. I bought a P4K back in May but quickly cancelled my order before it shipped and after the 6K release and the FP announcement, I can’t tell you how glad I am that I didn’t buy it. When I am ready, probably around this time next year, the FP may be even cheaper, or something better, for me, will be available.

59 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

It's a way too early to infer that... : ) Without mention, AF is 50% lens related. The Canon 50mm f/1.2 is known to be worse than the regular/cheaper 50mm f/1.8 when used along video only to serve as example : -)

Yes, I know. I should say it is not exactly impressive, being native EF and all that.

All these little things add to me going the P4K route. Just trying to balance everything, and the P4K is 70% to P6K 30% at the moment!

The Sigma Fp is an impressive proposition also. Unbelievable size/weight and modularity.

But if I wait for november (or whenever it is coming) for one, maybe the GH6 will be announced, then the Canon 90D, then the A7Siii, then the new BM, then the Sharp 8K, then the JVC LS3000mkII, then...you get the point!

2 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

What speedboosters have you experienced this with? I've never noticed this on my lens turbo or metabones. 

i only have the lensregain that i wanted to use on the bmpcc4k that i was planning to buy late september, guess i won't be needing it anymore, so i actually never tested one.

but on the few tests i've watched they all looked very soft( not to say unusable) when getting that "extra" stop they claim to provide

9 minutes ago, thephoenix said:

i only have the lensregain that i wanted to use on the bmpcc4k that i was planning to buy late september, guess i won't be needing it anymore, so i actually never tested one.

but on the few tests i've watched they all looked very soft( not to say unusable) when getting that "extra" stop they claim to provide

Technically, speedboosters actually add sharpness and detail while minimizing lens imperfections, the exact opposite (for the same optical reasons) that teleconverters degrade IQ by softening, enlarging the image, more pronounced CA, etc. 

Cheaper focal reducers can show soft corners, but Metabones are usually razor sharp edge-to-edge. 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Yes, I know. I should say it is not exactly impressive, being native EF and all that.

Well, the mount and lens can only do so much when the sensor isn’t set up for proper video AF.

The AF won’t be any better with the P4K.

If you want reliable AF in a cinema camera, Canon is your only option.