Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

Can anyone who's owned the BMPCC original and/or BMMCC compare those to the 1080p from the P4K? I want the slightly soft but finely detailed, sharp but not too sharp, rich, nice color and skin tone look of the BMPCC/BMMCC but with the more convenient body and features of the P4K (big touch screen, better low light, bigger sensor, 120fps, the ability to bake in a lut in prores). I've seen a convincing side by side video where the P4K was made to match the original BMPCC, but I honestly kinda suck at that sort of thing, plus I hate the added time and work in post so I want to try and achieve the look I want in camera as much as I can. And the look I want is the original BMPCC/BMMCC but with more features and convenience. I'm also wondering if the S16 crop can only be utilized in 2.6K BRaw, or if it can be used in 1080p ProRes as well. I want to be able to use my FD lenses with a focal reducer with the full sensor, as well as my c-mount lenses with the crop, depending on the project. I'll be using the camera mostly for narrative film projects of mine, and the occasional paid video gig.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 7:37 PM, Matt Kieley said:

Can anyone who's owned the BMPCC original and/or BMMCC compare those to the 1080p from the P4K? I want the slightly soft but finely detailed, sharp but not too sharp, rich, nice color and skin tone look of the BMPCC/BMMCC but with the more convenient body and features of the P4K (big touch screen, better low light, bigger sensor, 120fps, the ability to bake in a lut in prores). I've seen a convincing side by side video where the P4K was made to match the original BMPCC, but I honestly kinda suck at that sort of thing, plus I hate the added time and work in post so I want to try and achieve the look I want in camera as much as I can. And the look I want is the original BMPCC/BMMCC but with more features and convenience. I'm also wondering if the S16 crop can only be utilized in 2.6K BRaw, or if it can be used in 1080p ProRes as well. I want to be able to use my FD lenses with a focal reducer with the full sensor, as well as my c-mount lenses with the crop, depending on the project. I'll be using the camera mostly for narrative film projects of mine, and the occasional paid video gig.

I've shot with both quite a bit. I really prefer the bmmcc or bmpcc skin tone, color and highlights. The P4K or P6K is much better camera all around and is a lot more user friendly, but strictly image wise, the bmmcc and bmpcc in my opinion, produce much more unique and film like images. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Heres a 'music video'. I shot using the Blackmagic 6k. It was very low budget and shot adhering to local covid lockdown guidelines.

Production

We used a Sigma 18-35mm, everyone already knows how much of a great all round lens this is. I prefer shooting on wider lenses anyway, (25mm being my go to prime). I didn't really find myself wanting to swap lenses. Also used a Hoya ProND 6 Stop on some shots, this ND does show IR pollution. I wish I had a 3 stop aswell. (Ive since sold the Hoya and picked up Nisi IRND 3 & 6 stop filters. They are cheaper and better performing than the Hoya.

We shot 6K Braw Q5 on to 2 128GB Cfast Cards. This codec is incredibly efficient we used about 450GB over 2 1/2 days. I didn't have the camera rigged at all, the camera was powered by LPE6 Batteries. The camera burns though them, I needed more than the 6 we had! The only item attached to the top of the camera was a wireless video transmitter. 

I aimed to expose 'correctly' at 400ISO.  A majority of the shoot was overcast so the DR wasn't stressed much so I found that I was often 1 stop over. In the grade I pulled the exposure on most shots down at least a stop and sometimes as much as 2/3. I recommend underexposing this camera at least a stop anyway. Even exposing for 800 shows almost no noise especially in a 4k timeline. 

All the exteriors were lit naturally. occasionally using a bit of diffusion in close ups. I just tried to use the sun as backlight as often as possible. The interiors, we used the affordable Godox SL60 and a ring light for fill.

We used a variety of grip equipment (Tripod, Glidecam, Handheld, Jib).

Grade/Post

I also graded the video on a baseline 2017 13inch MBP, we imported the timeline from premier and used the camera originals. I shot to a Kodak 2383 LUT in camera but decided to grade from scratch. Gen5 colour Science in resolve is a treat to use. It reacts incredibly naturally to contrast a saturation changes. Skintones (with tint set to 0 in the raw tab) are very natural and lifelike. On a sidenote: Gen 5 Ext Video and Video gammas are totally usable now, much more than the Gun 4 versions. Other than basic adjustments, I just adjusted the hue of greens to remove IR in shots we used ND. I also added a subtle glow to the highlights and DaVinci's built in film grain. I set exposure for each clip using the exposure slider in the raw tab and the false colour effect on a timeline node, it really helped with matching shots when the lighting was constantly changing over the 3 shoot days.   

I am still shocked by the image coming out of the 6k, it has huge dynamic range, beautiful colour science and can be pushed and pulled more than you would ever without breaking. The extra resolution meant we didn't have to rent a dolly/silder on some shots and allowed us to crop and reframe in post without degrading IQ.