Sony A7R IV / A7S III / A9 II to feature 8K video, as new 60MP and 36MP full frame sensor specs leak

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
46 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Have fun with that in post. Personally I’ll be happy with 12 bit Raw in downsampled 4K 24p. 

I doubt this sensor will see the light of day in a hybrid. 

I agree, I have a feeling that these sensors are going straight into the Venice line.

And, I agree that we will have a hard time editing them now, but we can keep them for later????

I don’t know... we are constantly looking at gear and comparing, having G.A.S.... and eventually upgrading...

May be having one camera like this that will rule them all will stop us from looking, comparing and upgrading... and actually concentrating on content.

10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

So true. That’s a $25k camera. We’re going to get more of the same 8-bit 4:2:0 stuff. 

I don't see how Sony can keep doing 8bit stuff with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panny having it now. And for pretty cheap to be honest. It would just be crazy. But I think they are going to have to come up with a New body design. All this data is not going to happen in a 1" thick body anymore.

Okay, where are people getting this firm idea that a 36 MP sensor is going into a A7SIII of all things?

Sony already said themselves it's still going to keep that whole "low megapixels" part that was the purpose of why S has class-leading low-light in the first place. Seriously doubt their technology already evolved so soon for 36 MP to be on-par if not better than A7SII/A7III.

7 minutes ago, scultive said:

Okay, where are people getting this firm idea that a 36 MP sensor is going into a A7SIII of all things?

Sony already said themselves it's still going to keep that whole "low megapixels" part that was the purpose of why S has class-leading low-light in the first place. Seriously doubt their technology already evolved so soon for 36 MP to be on-par if not better than A7SII/A7III.

It has to have one that big if it is going to downsample from 8K. Not saying it is going to but..

36 minutes ago, scultive said:

That whole "low megapixels = class leading low light" notion is already a thing of the past. Using fewer pixels/large pixels used to be a way to lower cumulative read noise and hence increasing SNR. But with all of the rapid advancement in semiconductor tech, there are many more effective ways to increase SNR. One of the perfect examples would be A7III sensor IMX410, it performs better in low light than A7SII both in stills and video department, while having twice the pixel count.

Hi Andrew, this rumor and details should be presented in perspective.

I means, the NX1's sensor was able of 4k 240fps, IN LAB SETUP, and in year 2014 or even before.
By LAB SETUP, it means you cannot have it in a "camera size", even thinking to a large format camera.
BUT,  NX1 itself was able only 30fps. What was missing? A very powerful processor.
This is valid today for any pro-consumer camera, how many are able to do it, aka 4k 240fps?
Can you hold it on your nose or on your shoulders?

This new 8k sensor (7680x4320) with 71.93fps, does not have an 4k (3840x2160) output yet in the leaked specs but it could be 4 times quicker, so 4k @ 280 fps, well 16% quicker than the one in NX1.
I can't have a smooth playback on 4k on a "normal" laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, nVidia discreet graphics) just few years old, I have to have the playback direct from NX1 on HDMI :-( . . .

8k, let me. . . hope. . . maybe in 10 years will it be in a "convenient" package not pulled in a trailer.

17 minutes ago, GiM_6x said:

I can't have a smooth playback on 4k on a "normal" laptop (i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, nVidia discreet graphics) just few years old, I have to have the playback direct from NX1 on HDMI ? . . .

Use MPC-HC player for smooth playing.

50 minutes ago, GiM_6x said:

By LAB SETUP, it means you cannot have it in a "camera size", even thinking to a large format camera.

Exactly. Sensor specs are the upper limit of what a camera can achieve. I'd bet that the first few generations of cameras using these new sensors won't come close to maxing their data rates. Still, it's nice to see tech advancements.

5 hours ago, GiM_6x said:

I means, the NX1's sensor was able of 4k 240fps, IN LAB SETUP, and in year 2014 or even before.

that's a rumor that was never proven. It's very likely wrong, since we know what the sensor was able to do with 14bit, so calculating the 8 or 10bit speed, is reasonable

BUT,  NX1 itself was able only 30fps. What was missing? A very powerful processor.

actually I think the processor of the NX1 was a lot more powerful in comparison with the sensor

This is valid today for any pro-consumer camera, how many are able to do it, aka 4k 240fps?

you think this is due to processor power? I guess sensor readout and heat are the main issues

I think the sensor we talk about here is probably going to end up in something like a venice. But CES2019 will probably be centered around 8K. 8K televisions, 8K projectors, 8K cameras.

Personally I think 8K will sooner or later become standard. I never figured out, why the consumer camera companies skipped 6K. Cameras like the A7III or the Fujis could do it since they read it out and downsample it to 4K. Would be nice in post to have the option for 4K timelines