Fuji X-T3 and X-T4 discussion

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

Secondly for colors it is rumored that at least the next A7S III will have Venice color science which is reputed among the best.

i wonder if anyone had the experience with both fs5 and fs5 markII to prove that. had tested a7iii and didnt find it anywhere close to fuji/nikon colourwise 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@DBounce those 2 lenses are an extra reason to go to Fuji-land I must admit.

Is it possible to speed-boost it on an P4K I wonder?

No. But you can get them in MFT mount ?
(and naturally to use a focal reducer from MFT to MFT is just nonsense talk)

Also, you can get the Fujion MKH zoom pair in a FZ mount! Perfect match with my Sony PMW-F3. Sigh, if only.... one day.

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

Why? They are the guys who gave us all the best specs in the past. Why are you guys pessimistic about Sony specs where they constantly have been ahead of the competition past 5 years?

Because they haven't been? 
Sure, they've always been ahead of Canon! But that is Canon.
However Sony has lagged behind Panasonic, and I feel it shows in how they give out features to their mirrorless cameras but leave just enough behind to protect their cinema cameras.

58 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

i wonder if anyone had the experience with both fs5 and fs5 markII to prove that. had tested a7iii and didnt find it anywhere close to fuji/nikon colourwise 

The video in this link look pretty good to me, especially since it is 120p. Maybe not true Canon colors, I think it actually is More realistic to be honest. I think Fuji colors are too hot to be honest. Along the lines of Olympus stuff. But YMMV. Now for Photos, I do like the Fuji CS.

http://www.xdcam-user.com/2018/04/pxw-fs5-ii-secret-sauce-and-venice-colour-science/

3 hours ago, Jimmy said:

So you are saying that if a woman has crisp looking hair in real life, those cameras magically add some silky conditioner to the hair?!

My wife has very similar hair to the woman in the video and it does not look like a camera issue in the slightest... It is just showing the natural texture of the hair. 

Well, like @DBounce already mentioned, it's oversharpening.
So everything should be fine - once set to minimum sharpening.

And no, oversharpened crispened hair doesn't exist in real life. Maybe in phones and inferior cameras.

2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Why? They are the guys who gave us all the best specs in the past. Why are you guys pessimistic about Sony specs where they constantly have been ahead of the competition past 5 years?

Not really. In 2014, Sony made the a6000, and Samsung made the NX1--which still tops all Sony APS-C for specs. In fact, the XT3's extraordinary specs are THE reason why people think it's using Samsung tech!

Sony's "best specs" really only applies to FF video, where they have enjoyed an almost complete lack of competition until 2018. Sony has created some amazing FF sensors, but their specs haven't been that good.

Hopefully, the competition kicks them into high gear with their next APS-C lineup!

2 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Sony's "best specs" really only applies to FF video, where they have enjoyed an almost complete lack of competition until 2018. Sony has created some amazing FF sensors, but their specs haven't been that good.

From what I have seen from Canon, Nikon they Still don't have any competition in FF.

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

From what I have seen from Canon, Nikon they Still don't have any competition in FF.

Well Canon really isn't taking FF mirrorless seriously. The EOS R is clearly a halfhearted effort to silence the advocates of mirrorless. I'll reserver judgement of the Z6 until I see footage. But the Z7 did not impress me... my opinion only.

I just did a little overheating test on my Xh1 and XT3.

What triggered this was my Xh1 freezing after 10 minutes filming in direct sunlight in Cairo. (So not unexpected)

Back at home with a room temperature of 31c...

The xh1 recorded 15min 4k(max rec length) but upon hitting record again froze. Took battery out and straight back in and got another 15 minutes..... Same thing happened 3 times in a row, got the full 15 minutes but then a freeze upon hitting record again. It did not freeze while recording like it did out in the sun.

The X-T3......... No problems at all. Did 3 30 minute recordings back to back. No freeze's. Was hot to touch but less than the xh1.

Next time I'll try taking the X-T3 out in the sun, just the lack of ibis is why I used the xh1 in this case.

All recording at 4k in 25p

5 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Canon, certainly not!

The Z6 and Z7 look like even competitors to the A7 III and A7r III. And next year Panasonic will join the fray, with what I assume to be competitive specs. I'm not talking overall quality of the system, just who is providing the best specs.

The A7S II is still alone as a low megapixel FF video camera. I argue that it doesn't really have competitive specs, though, it's just got a unique sensor. Whatever their shortcomings, Sony makes great sensors.

26 minutes ago, Xavier Plágaro Mussard said:

quick test I did the other day, I love the files that the X-T3 produces, even if my Macbook Pro is not very happy about h265 and 4K 60p... 

Very nice footage indeed, at least to my eyes, which were focused on the story.  The ending brought a smile to my face. 

6 hours ago, austinchimp said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but this is one of the first X-T3 videos where I've liked the colour. It seems filmlike but still realistic and relatively subtle.

I've been checking out samples of the footage - I really want to like this camera - but a lot of it just looks like it's been Filmconvert-ed or instagram filtered. I'd love to see some more samples where the colour looks more natural and Alexa-like, if that exists. Not bashing the camera or any of the work posted so far, I love their philosophy and I own a X-T20, just wondering if it's possible to get a more neutral or modern look, while still retaining maximum dynamic range and skin tones.

For me Flog with the eterna LUT gives a great image. It honestly looked very close to what I was filming as far as colors go, very natural. 

7 hours ago, Alex Uzan said:

Rolling shutter is pretty bad, and no IBIS make handeld shots not useable.

Thanks for the video ?

Handheld shots are useable, I was just filming really poorly. Quick panning like I was doing is a bad idea, due to rolling shutter. If you do a controlled pan it looks fine though. Also I was filming with a 50mm lens. 50 is too long for handheld. A 35mm or 23mm would have looked a lot better.

That said the 18-55 or 16-50 lenses are great for handheld, OIS works a charm. 

The rolling shutter isn't great (worse then the GH5) but its not bad either. A large step up from the A6300. Its better in 1080 as well.

3 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Not really. In 2014, Sony made the a6000, and Samsung made the NX1--which still tops all Sony APS-C for specs. In fact, the XT3's extraordinary specs are THE reason why people think it's using Samsung tech!

Hopefully, the competition kicks them into high gear with their next APS-C lineup!

A7S II is 3 years old. At that time it was class leading specs. 
A6300/500 not bad either and was the best APSC. Sure Samsung was an ovni but they are not even in business anymore. 

Saying that Sony protects Cine line and cripple specs is a statement I cannot agree with. Canon yes, Sony not really. Their specs are always not far from the top of the line. 
I have no info on the upcoming Sony APSC, but again I am expecting similar XT3 level of specs and actually if this is not the case (like no 4K60p,..) they should not even bother. 

17 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

I have no info on the upcoming Sony APSC, but again I am expecting similar XT3 level of specs and actually if this is not the case (like no 4K60p,..) they should not even bother. 

I agree.
They can do a better camera than the X-T3, since this last one is not really on par about video autofocus (not as good as my a6300 or A7iii)
Flip screen, 4k50p, 10bits 422, Eye AF on video, and I'm in.

@wolf33d I'm not saying Sony protects their cine line. I'm just refuting that Sony has been "ahead of the competition past 5 years" in specs (I'm not talking about sales). While Sony clearly dominates with sensors, their processors always seem to be behind. Maybe it's intentional crippling, but I think it's more likely that they simply have not invested in that area as much.

In 2014, the NX1 did a 28MP readout in 30ms. The A7S II, a year later, took the same amount of time to read out 12MP. The a6300 had even worse rolling shutter in 2016 -- almost 40ms! I'm not saying the NX1 is "better," but it's an example of how Sony's processors lag behind their sensors. Perhaps their weak codecs, past overheating issues, and continued lack of 10 bit are all the result of poor processors as well? Sony leads in some areas, but not all.

Panasonic has been outputting 10 bit HDMI for 4 years now. Fuji, Nikon, and even Canon have beaten Sony to 10 bit HDMI, with Fuji getting bonus points for having it internally with a modern codec. I'd say that Panasonic has really been the one leading for specs, with Sony getting a pass because they were the ONLY FF mirrorless.

I also expect the new Sony APS-C to be close to the XT3. 4k60-- probably. 10 bit-- probably externally, but I think it will still be 8 bit internal. H.265 and 20ms rolling shutter-- I highly doubt these.

But we'll see! I certainly hope Sony knock it out of the park. I'd switch to Sony if they deliver.

7 hours ago, austinchimp said:

This may be an unpopular opinion but this is one of the first X-T3 videos where I've liked the colour. It seems filmlike but still realistic and relatively subtle.

I've been checking out samples of the footage - I really want to like this camera - but a lot of it just looks like it's been Filmconvert-ed or instagram filtered. I'd love to see some more samples where the colour looks more natural and Alexa-like, if that exists. Not bashing the camera or any of the work posted so far, I love their philosophy and I own a X-T20, just wondering if it's possible to get a more neutral or modern look, while still retaining maximum dynamic range and skin tones.

Thats because most people that own this camera use it as a stills camera and are not videographers, with no clue what they are doing on the video side - but yet - they still decide to upload shitty test footage on youtube. Also, a lot of people are using film simulations with auto white balance, default settings, NO log profile, with incorrect shutter speed settings, no ND filters,  and no idea how to color grade. Add that all up and you will get underwhelming results.

Don't let this forum fool you, the majority of people that still by this are long time Fuji photographers who aren't videographers. We are a still a small percentage. 

Use LOG with NR and Sharpening and -4 and then throw the Eterna LUT on and tweak it from there and you will see beautiful amazing/cinematic results not seen in many of the mirroless cameras.