Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???

Trek of Joy

12 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I'm guessing then there are no implications for video?  (of pixel-shift)

Can't see how it can be used for video. It's the same mechanism that does IBIS, by the way

3 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

I wonder if Panasonic will use a <1mm sensor stack like Leica does? If so, some lenses designed for film might have slightly better performance here than on the new Sony/Canon/Nikon.

I think the big question for all is whether this will be a Sony manufactured sensor or Panasonic will go for a Samsung or Towerjazz design. I find the non-Sony option very exciting. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
35 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Exactly. I'm on the same boat, and let's not forget Panasonic in general always had a tradition for innovation and very few weaknesses with their cameras. E.g. apart from the sensor limitations (where applicable) and video AF (for the most part, although improved), the GH5/G9 are almost perfect hybrid cameras IMHO. 

I agree, the G9 is a few tweaks from the perfect hybrid. I don't care about much of the stuff people ask for. A little extra bitrate or a new log profile isn't as important to me as things like Canons way seamless stills to video switch, Panasonics ability to take stills with the mechanical shutter during recording or Fujis "dual menus" for video and stills. These are the type of things I really want. Marketing specs is just icing on the cake.
Panasonic usually delivers both.

Thats why a FF from them gets me very, very excited. 

38 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

It can do much more: as Hasselblad does, it can also get true color information for each pixel (three different positions) and still produce a "base" resolution image with much improved (accurate) color. 

Yup, I just tried to give the fast version :)

49 minutes ago, Mmmbeats said:

I'm guessing then there are no implications for video?  (of pixel-shift)

Unlikely as it's combining multiple frames together, so if the subject is moving then it'll be like a worse version of when the de-interlacing isn't done right!

Of course, it kind of depends on how fast it can capture the images. Apple combine multiple exposures in the iPhone cameras to get better low light, so in theory you could build something that attempted it, but we're probably a few tech cycles away of it being good enough to release to the public, and by then we'll have 8K and not need pixel shift to get the resolution, we'll just have more pixels :)

This camera sounds pretty interesting. What would be great is if the new lens system could be adapted to the m43 line through a Panasonic speedbooster with and integrated ND(no idea if that's possible). I think if Panasonic could really integrate the FF, m43 and EVA1 as far as colours,  VLOG recording codecs etc are concerned they'd really dominate the market. Back when I was using the Canon C100 as my main camera I was always frustrated that I couldn't find a good B cam with in the Canon range. I tried the 7D, 700D, 5d mk... and they all looked poor next to the C100 footage. The XC10 just wasn't up to it in lowlight situations. So a FF Panasonic paired with the GH5s/GH5 sounds very interesting. Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about!!!?

19 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

This camera sounds pretty interesting. What would be great is if the new lens system could be adapted to the m43 line through a Panasonic speedbooster with and integrated ND(no idea if that's possible).

Unfortunately, not. The L-mount is 19mm flange distance, while m43 is 19.25mm. The option for a dummy "ring" adapter is certainly feasible, but I'm not optimistic that electronics could be fitted for AF and EXIF. OTOH you never know. 

Extra optical elements or ND integration are out of the question though. What I hope for is an electronic ND filter in the camera (a physical one would again be very hard to implement). 

2 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Unfortunately, not. The L-mount is 19mm flange distance, while m43 is 19.25mm. The option for a dummy "ring" adapter is certainly feasible, but I'm not optimistic that electronics could be fitted for AF and EXIF. OTOH you never know. 

Extra optical elements or ND integration are out of the question though. What I hope for is an electronic ND filter in the camera (a physical one would again be very hard to implement). 

Bummer. Anyway, if the colours and 4k have a similar look and feel (FF vs m43/Speedboster besides) then it still could work as a properly integrated system.

27 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Bummer. Anyway, if the colours and 4k have a similar look and feel (FF vs m43/Speedboster besides) then it still could work as a properly integrated system.

There is a rumor (or is it confirmed already? I don't remember) about a new firmware update coming up for GH5(s)/G9. Could it make color science more consistent among cameras? Can it be done with firmware only or is it too much sensor-specific? 

If Panasonic gives us an updated color science which is more or less the same in their whole line of cameras, they will dominate everything. This and high-performance video AF is their only relative weaknesses against the competition. 

Which mounts can be adapted to the L mount?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_distance

look at this list. Any lens with a flange distance LONGER than a camera can be adapted with a simple mechanical adapter, but not vice versa. So you can put an ef lens on an l mount, but you can't put an l lens on an Ef mount

so you can adapt f, ef, m42, pl, and many others to l.

whether or not you can electronically control the adapted lens depends on whether the lens protocol is open, or if someone has reverse engineered it.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

(L3) Sigma is going ot make an EF to L-mount adapter and also release their current lenses as L-mount

That totally makes sense. I think this industry is in a period of rationalisation where the smaller players will die unless they form alliances strong enough to challenge the big players.

Sigma has a native mount but no real share of the camera body market, and they have been making lenses that seem to be (are?) designed to be adaptable.

If the announcement included Sigma saying that all of their FF lenses with convertible lens mounts could be converted to this new mount then they would definitely win the lens availability category against canikon!

I'm not sure what they will release but out of all the rumours this year I'm optimistic that they'll deliver a larger percentage of what is technically possible and what we want than the other manufacturers attempts.