Jump to content

Panasonic announcing a full frame camera on Sept. 25???


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't believe they didn't announce the fourth member of this new alliance that is making compatible products for Panasonic and Leica cameras

Our first look video is live... new info to me... bigger battery than GH5     

ugh can't keep up anymore

Posted Images

  • Super Members

I'm guessing that Sigma will be able to put together a new version of their MC-11 adapter in short order to go from EF to SL.

And hopefully it will be far cheaper than the Novoflex one.

Be interesting to see if the relationship actually allows Sigma to begin selling their SL line-up ahead of the camera launch as they would have a very captive audience immediately with Leica owners.

Including the hypothetical person who in a moment of madness bought a used SL last weekend.

I, erm, sorry, he would be all over them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Be interesting to see if the relationship actually allows Sigma to begin selling their SL line-up ahead of the camera launch as they would have a very captive audience immediately with Leica owners.

Including the hypothetical person who in a moment of madness bought a used SL last weekend.

I, erm, sorry, he would be all over them.

Very true. Sigma is already doing excellent with the FE-mount lenses where it has boxed the market for high-performance yet affordable glass. I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

So, no need for Sigma to bust their balls over the Z and R mounts, and suddenly Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems find themselves in the position that Fuji was 5+ years ago: in need to hurry up completing their lens lineup by themselves, without third party support. You can't rely on adapters forever. 

And buy the way, congrats on the SL! In my view it's perhaps the best ever example of industrial design in the Photographic Industry. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, hoodlum said:

I think Sigma saw the writing on the wall with the closed Z and R mounts.  Re-engineering the logic for Canon and Nikon's mount from scratch will not be easy.

Sigma never received  engineering info from Canon and Nikon for their mounts as they did last year from Sony.

 

They always had to reverse engineer Canikon Mounts to copy their protocols. They will not have an issue again.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, nathlas said:

Sigma never received  engineering info from Canon and Nikon for their mounts as they did last year from Sony.

 

They always had to reverse engineer Canikon Mounts to copy their protocols. They will not have an issue again.

They are probably completely capable of reverse engineering the Z/R mounts. 

But, plot twist: suppose terms of the mutual Pana/Sigma/Leica agreement is that Sigma can do whatever they want in-house, but not release any lenses for the Canonikon mounts until 2020. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

Very true. Sigma is already doing excellent with the FE-mount lenses where it has boxed the market for high-performance yet affordable glass. I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

So, no need for Sigma to bust their balls over the Z and R mounts, and suddenly Nikon and Canon mirrorless systems find themselves in the position that Fuji was 5+ years ago: in need to hurry up completing their lens lineup by themselves, without third party support. You can't rely on adapters forever. 

And buy the way, congrats on the SL! In my view it's perhaps the best ever example of industrial design in the Photographic Industry. ?

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. Their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too. Really, I find the whole notion of not purchasing the a7 III if Sigma lenses didn’t exist preposterous.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

They are probably completely capable of reverse engineering the Z/R mounts. 

But, plot twist: suppose terms of the mutual Pana/Sigma/Leica agreement is that Sigma can do whatever they want in-house, but not release any lenses for the Canonikon mounts until 2020. ?

I don't find a reason for Sigma to accept that. Pana/Leica need Sigma lenses right now not the opposite.

Sigma would gladly offer their cooperation in order to sell their lenses but not with a term not to sell lenses especially to canikon clients that propably will win again the market.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Super Members
42 minutes ago, eyesuncloudedphoto said:

I had many pros tell me that they'd never consider buying the Sony a7iii for example,  if Sigma wasn't involved; Sony/Zeiss branded lenses are either not adequate enough, in their view, or extortionately expensive.  

I think the Sony systems have definitely benefited from Sigma's involvement (as they do from also having smart adapters for EF lenses), particularly for the APS-C cameras, to give more choice but they've definitely upped their own game too though.

My own personal frame of reference for 'extortionately expensive' lenses has had some serious readjustment after glugging like a drunken sailor on the Leica Koolaid so those Sony lenses now look like a an absolute bargain ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. And their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too.

The situation with the Sony FE mount and Sigma FE lenses is a bit strange. Sigma, rather than redesigning the lenses (and af motors) for mirrorless, simply effectively just stuck an MC11 adapter on the back of their DSLR lenses. This made the lenses overly large and with poor focusing. So the Sigma FE line of lenses have been largely ignored by Sony users even though they are quite cheap.

I do think that Sony lenses are quite expensive and that the system is crying out for decent reasonable budget options like the Tamron 28-75 2.8. I thought Canon and Nikon were going to come in and compete aggressively on the price of their optics but it appears they want to go the premium route too. And then Canon and Nikon's decision to not license their mount to thrid parties also seems somewhat backward....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like it will have IBIS.

 

https://www.l-rumors.com/l5-on-sept-25-panasonic-will-annonce-the-development-of-two-ff-cameras-and-three-ff-lenses/

1) Entry level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and Low Resolution Sensor
2) Pro level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and High Resolution Sensor (close to 50MP)
3) New Full Frame 24-70mm zoom lens
4) New Full Frame 50mm fast prime
5) New Full Frame 70-200mm zoom prime

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Looks like it will have IBIS.

 

https://www.l-rumors.com/l5-on-sept-25-panasonic-will-annonce-the-development-of-two-ff-cameras-and-three-ff-lenses/

1) Entry level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and Low Resolution Sensor
2) Pro level Full Frame L-mount camera with IBIS, 4k60p and High Resolution Sensor (close to 50MP)
3) New Full Frame 24-70mm zoom lens
4) New Full Frame 50mm fast prime
5) New Full Frame 70-200mm zoom prime

awesome. Cant wait. Please make the AF good in video...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’ve had the exact contrary impression - most Sony shooters I know of prefer shooting with native Sony/Zeiss glass over Sigma. And not one I know of has found Sony lenses inadequate. Quite the opposite in fact. Their 24-105mm f/4, 16-35mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, 55mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.4 and 400mm f/2.8 have all received wide acclaim - and I’ve no doubt the soon-to-be-released 24mm f/1.4 will too. Really, I find the whole notion of not purchasing the a7 III if Sigma lenses didn’t exist preposterous.

Perhaps I could clarify this: users think that either the cheaper Sony lenses are not "good enough" (at least in regards to value/cost) OR they are fantastically good but very expensive (the G-master line and some other Sony branded lenses). 

Not everyone has 10K+ to spend upfront for lenses when adopting a new system, so having a reasonably priced, high performance option is always welcome. Furthermore, many Canonikon users already used to use and love Sigma ART lenses on their DSLRs; in fact most Canon users at least initially use their EF Sigma glass adapted on their Sonys.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...