Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Some shameless pimping for v1.4 of 3C in case you missed it in the other thread.

Added support for using Tilta Nucleus Nano focus wheel to control native and EF adapted lenses without requiring gear rings/focus motor/power.

Ideal for gimbals or just to keep the overall package form down.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/1/2019 at 4:55 PM, majoraxis said:

I do the same work flow with my GH5. I shoot 1080p and it down scale it in the camera and it looks great and saves storage space in the process.

What do you mean down scale in the camera?

2 minutes ago, TurboRat said:

What do you mean down scale in the camera?

By downscale I mean that the GH5 takes the full sensor resolution and sub samples it to get 1080p in camera, which saves a step as apposed to shooting 4K and then sub sampling it to 1080p in Resolve.

I do get why you'd want to shoot 1080 in camera, but making 4k footage 1080 in Resolve isn't an extra step at all. If you're sequence is HD, it auto scales to fit, so from a user experience it's exactly the same as working with 1080 material.

The difference is in the storage used and possibly the speed of your playback and export.

I had my first experience with the Bmpcc4k. Rented one and took it to a friend's wedding to see how it stood up. I had barely anytime to get to know the camera so there will be user errors. I've yet to see the images as what I really wanted to check was reliability and handling.

Good things first: actually feels very nice in the hand, menus nice, recording individual sound on each channel, once I'd pumped up the brightness on the screen it was nice to use. 

Bad things: wtf, so unreliable. Shut off 4 times although connected to external battery and internal. At one moment it would only record clips of one second then stop. Then it started recording normally again. It took an age to start up and even longer to read the SD to be ready to record (nearly 2 mins!). I tried 4k 50p and 2.6k 50p to see if that helped but no. Another weird thing is when watch the clips in playback it would only show the clips recorded in the same settings as the came was at at that moment (4k, could only review 4k. 2.6k could only review 2.6k).

The rental place is reliable and always want feedback from their clients. I was the first to use the camera after the new firmware was installed. It could be that. The SD card (v90) had never had problems before with the camera according to them. 

So was that just a freak shitty experience or does that kind of stuff happen a lot?

1 hour ago, Thpriest said:

I had my first experience with the Bmpcc4k. Rented one and took it to a friend's wedding to see how it stood up. I had barely anytime to get to know the camera so there will be user errors. I've yet to see the images as what I really wanted to check was reliability and handling.

Good things first: actually feels very nice in the hand, menus nice, recording individual sound on each channel, once I'd pumped up the brightness on the screen it was nice to use. 

Bad things: wtf, so unreliable. Shut off 4 times although connected to external battery and internal. At one moment it would only record clips of one second then stop. Then it started recording normally again. It took an age to start up and even longer to read the SD to be ready to record (nearly 2 mins!). I tried 4k 50p and 2.6k 50p to see if that helped but no. Another weird thing is when watch the clips in playback it would only show the clips recorded in the same settings as the came was at at that moment (4k, could only review 4k. 2.6k could only review 2.6k).

The rental place is reliable and always want feedback from their clients. I was the first to use the camera after the new firmware was installed. It could be that. The SD card (v90) had never had problems before with the camera according to them. 

So was that just a freak shitty experience or does that kind of stuff happen a lot?

verry interesting. I haven't updated any of my cameras yet since we are in the middle of wedding season. But all of our bm (2 p4k and 1 p6k) has been really reliable so far. We use npf plate and t5 ssd on all of them and none has any shut down issue. I have found if the ssd is more than 3/4 full, it takes a lot longer to read. 

The playback thing is the same with every bm camera so it's not a bug. 

j.jpg

2 hours ago, xzobinx said:

verry interesting. I haven't updated any of my cameras yet since we are in the middle of wedding season. But all of our bm (2 p4k and 1 p6k) has been really reliable so far. We use npf plate and t5 ssd on all of them and none has any shut down issue. I have found if the ssd is more than 3/4 full, it takes a lot longer to read. 

The playback thing is the same with every bm camera so it's not a bug. 

j.jpg

I didn't realise the playback was like that. It sure gave me a fright!!!

6 hours ago, Thpriest said:

It took an age to start up and even longer to read the SD to be ready to record (nearly 2 mins!).

Had this a couple of times with SD cards that had a lot of clips on them.

Seemed more related to the amount of clips rather than the capacity used by them.

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Had this a couple of times with SD cards that had a lot of clips on them.

Seemed more related to the amount of clips rather than the capacity used by them.

I would say that was my experience too. It became worse as the day went on. Is that the same with CFast and SSD?

1 minute ago, Thpriest said:

I would say that was my experience too. It became worse as the day went on. Is that the same with CFast and SSD?

It was happening when I was app testing and I only use SD cards when I'm doing that so I can't really give any idea on whether it affects the other media types.

I meant to do a bit more of a scientific test on how many files and/or what codec was causing it but to be honest I was just so relieved that it wasn't a bug in my code that I just moved on when formatting the card fixed it ;) 

8 hours ago, Thpriest said:

I have heard of that issue when some people are using SD cards that get over 1/2 full. I bet it has to do with the speed of the cards and their write speeds as the card gets full. 

I have never had that happen on any of my 3 P4Ks or the P6K. *BUT* I use 1TB Samsung T5s, exclusively. I have filled up T5 drives completely several times and never had a dropped frame.

I have only had two issues with any of the P4Ks or the P6K, despite using them on many jobs for extended periods of time. Problem 1: one of my P4Ks had a defective touch screen. BM replaced the cam and I haven't had an issue since. Problem 2: one of my cameras was draining the internal battery and shutting off, despite a Sony NP battery being attached via a battery sled through the 12V port. I swapped the sled and have never had that issue again. I know that some people have had problems with their cams, but I have had so few problems with my 4 that it never even enters my mind during a shoot.

Best of luck!

On 11/5/2019 at 3:35 PM, Thpriest said:
On 11/5/2019 at 3:32 PM, BTM_Pix said:

It happened to me with the firmware 6.1? (the cdng release version from one year ago) with a sandisk extreme 512GB ssd - with sdcards I never had an issue. It seemed to me as if it was calculating something. Amount minutes left to record and clips recorded and it somehow took quite a bit of time. And worst - one could not start recording until then.

but with the next camera update (the braw one) it was gone (at least for me )

Beginning to get the feel of this camera. It's a beast. Something I am going to avoid doing moving forward,  is watching alot of these cameras reviews from these so called experts. Nothing beats your experience with a cam.

For me, this camera is the best bang for £. 

I hate rigging cameras , unless necessary.  I have kept my setup light. LP batteries and Lens with a hot shoe handle. 

The images below are from a shoot I dod recently.

Set up:

1080p pro res Hq 24, 60 and 120 

Tamron 24-75mm 2.8

Iso: 800 and 1000

Shot in film Graded in fcp x

No lighting setup, just the fluorescent bulbs from the gym. 

When with the green tint for the look. I am a canon fan boy so, I want my colours to be rich and pop.

This camera is shockingly better than I expected

Bmpc4k_Back Kneck_Stretch.png

BMPC4K_TheGloves-01.jpeg

TheRTRN.png

Yeah I used it on a three day shoot last week. Battery life wasn't that big a deal. Worked great with a monopod and minimal rigging. For handheld a monitor is necessary, we used the small HD and one of these little swivel mounts. Worked great. 
smallrig_1842_dslr_monitor_holder_mount_

Thinking about selling my A7SII and buying the 4K BMPCC. Does anyone have any experience with using this on a gimbal? Is it a hassle to balance? 

I currently run the A7SII as a B-CAM for my C200, but the slow mo quality is really getting to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. I run it nice and light with manual focus lenses on the Zhiyun Crane v2, so I'd be looking to upgrade both the camera and the gimbal.

12 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Thinking about selling my A7SII and buying the 4K BMPCC. Does anyone have any experience with using this on a gimbal? Is it a hassle to balance? 

I currently run the A7SII as a B-CAM for my C200, but the slow mo quality is really getting to the point where it sticks out like a sore thumb. I run it nice and light with manual focus lenses on the Zhiyun Crane v2, so I'd be looking to upgrade both the camera and the gimbal.

If you have the right gimbal its no issue. The camera is on the bulky side but its not heavy. Definitely a different image than the C200, but it can hold its own against a C200 imo

13 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

You'll need an offset plate or a cage since the Pocket 4K is too wide for the popular gimbals out there.

It fits well on the Weebill Lab without an offset plate, but you need to counterbalance it. I've used it with the Viltrox booster and 24-105 f4 and the results were really nice. My counterweight was the NPF battery sled with a 970 battery, which was handy because I could shoot like that for hours should I need to.

That said, if I were to buy again I wouldn't necessarily go with the Weebill Lab as I've found I quite often need to use some post stabilisation as well to help it out a little.

15 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

You have here a full thread specifically on topic: