Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

18 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Anaconda, a representative from Blackmagic said on their forums that they cannot stress enough that any date currently put out by vendors is not official.

That's what I thought. But the last I read that was before the new date was changed to the 5th Oct, so perhaps more info was available. IBC starts in like 2 weeks. I imagine it'll be released around then - or at the very least, there will be an official update.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Oh man. You're right. I was watching the prores footage as well but quicktime was downscaling it and I was getting moire from that.

Just opened and viewed the prores file at 100% in AE and no moire. Phew!

Still interested in the moire thing though. I wonder if JB or Captain Hook would be able to comment on that. 

ProRes? Where did you see the ProRes mate?

The cinematographer mentioned in the comments he shot "ProRes" but the original file available to download on Vimeo is Quicktime AVC. Check tthe file specs. UHD ProRes has a much higher bitrate than AVC.

7 hours ago, amsh89es335 said:

I have had to many projects with blackmagic cameras failing on me and really ruined working relationships with producers and directors on those projects.  

So weird. I've worked with the Pocket, Micro and Ursa Mini Pro. Pocket and Micro for years now and have never had a failure with regards to the camera. I guess this could happen with any camera though if you are unlucky in the moment.

8 hours ago, gethin said:

Where's the magic? ? 

Must be something to do with current sensor tech, but it doesn't have that organic feel that you see in the BMPCC and GH2. (just like most of the current crop of cameras). Also is it just me or does 180 degree shutter make everything look videoey?  On the Gh5 I try not to shoot at 180 degrees, it looks like poo. 

EDIT: for the price its still bloody amazing, though and I met yet still get one ?

Yeah I feel you on the organic feel, Every camera that has been released since the pocket, as felt less organic to me as well. I think it started with the C300 II.

But I am interested in the 180 degree shutter. Do you have any side by sides? To see the difference. As I always shoot in 180 degree shutter, as I understood it was the same as 50 shutterspeed on 25fps. But if it looks different I need to rethink this!

Thanks!

20 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Every camera that has been released since the pocket, as felt less organic to me as well. I think it started with the C300 II.

It's all about color science @post too. No rocket science. Cameras are only a tool, not 'the' tool : -)

47 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I feel you on the organic feel, Every camera that has been released since the pocket, as felt less organic to me as well. I think it started with the C300 II.

But I am interested in the 180 degree shutter. Do you have any side by sides? To see the difference. As I always shoot in 180 degree shutter, as I understood it was the same as 50 shutterspeed on 25fps. But if it looks different I need to rethink this!

Thanks!

180 degrees is the same as 1/50th at 25fps. It's the industry standard for unobtrusive motion so I don't know what he's talking about exactly. Might come down to personal preference for him.

48 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

It's all about color science @post too. No rocket science. Cameras are only a tool, not 'the' tool : -)

Yeah for sure, but my workflow keeps changing though with each camera, not only in post(adding grain helps a lot). As camera's keep getting sharper, I need to add soften filters, and use quality vintage glass. 

15 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

180 degrees is the same as 1/50th at 25fps. It's the industry standard for unobtrusive motion so I don't know what he's talking about exactly. Might come down to personal preference for him.

It also depends what your shooting. For example, I've heard theories that for slow motion you want absolutely no motion blur, so shoot with a faster shutter angle than 180. Since slow-mo makes things look more 'magical' you can heighten the feeling by ensuring everything is sharp in the movement. I'd shoot slow motion at 90 degrees - But i don't do it often, so could be getting mixed up.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The BMPC4K is one of the few cameras to beat the "building of moire", so I would have been very surprised if it was a big issue on this camera.

Glad to see you active again. Hoping you do a full in depth series again on this camera like you did the BMPCC. You single handedly convinced me to buy one :)

1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Thanks!

Nope! its just something I've noticed when I've been forced to shoot at 1/50 - I tend to have a lot of camera movement and it really jumps out at me - it sort of looks like old VHS footage to me especially when the shutter angle was greater than 180.  As I said it's probably just that I've got used to the look of a higher shutter angle.  I wouldn't let it phase you if you're liking the look of the stuff you're shooting!  :)  film was much more forgiving of movement for some reason.

Talking of film - that's what organic means to me.  Its a combination of grain structure, detail and how the highlights are rendered.  I've seen it in BMPCC & gh2 footage, the first time I saw magic lantern raw and one of the kinefinity cameras but again its just a preference.  (I've tried to fake it on the gh5. I had this idea that as film grain was not in a grid - like an image sensor - that it meant that different grains in sub-pixel positions were rendering detail. I wrote a photoshop action to displace pixels slightly in each frame.  It was a total bust :p)

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Glad to see you active again. Hoping you do a full in depth series again on this camera like you did the BMPCC. You single handedly convinced me to buy one :)

Im first in the preorder line at a big retailer. But I honestly might cancel it. Not because the camera doesn't seem great, it does.
Its just that the original BMCC, BMPCC, URSAmini etc are dropping and I suspect will dropp even more when the new one is out.

Take the original BMPCC as an example. To this day it never recovered on the used market since the fire sale. Since then its always been sub $500 with accessories. Often good stuff like a couple of lenses and/or speed booster.

Since the new announcement Ive seen them all the way down to $350 with accessories. 
Long story short, I have a bunch of Canon and Nikon glass which makes the original BMCC or my favourite, the BMPC4K look more and more tasty for every dollar it drops :)

(Im also very intrigued by the Nikon-Z and might not be able to resist.)

18 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Since the new announcement Ive seen them all the way down to $350 with accessories. 

I was just thinking that a moment ago, wonder how cheap the original BMPCC will go? Was thinking to recommend to a friend he buys a BMPCC4K for himself, but also pick up an original BMPCC on the cheap as an emergency back up in the kit or even simply for a second angle on shoots. 

Wonder also how low will the UMP drop. If it goes below US$3K is my dream.

2 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Im not sure if I have seen the UMP. But I have seen the UM4.6K for very reasonable pricing. Also tempting, but I have a soft spot for the BMCC/BMPC4K size and simplicity.

Same. 

Seen the 4.6k go for under 3K. UMP still going for 4K.  Not bad prices at all. But the size is an issue for me. 

6 hours ago, matthere said:

More from JB..

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K ‘Models Walking at Night’

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dv4iSzhMjA

Night? lol

hmm the talk about the older cameras dropping in price is tempting. Used the UM in 2016 for a gig and I loved working with it. Seeing that the UMP might drop down a couple of bucks, IS very tempting, but the size of the BMPCC4K is the reason I preordered. Who knows, maybe I’ll get the UMP too!