Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The balloons footage looks great, but the gimbal stuff makes me want to vomit. I'd rather have micro jitter than those floating to hard stop movements. 

There's a lot of chromatic grain though. Wonder what ISO it was shot at... Anyway, it looks amazing, and it seems like the shutter was actually set to a good angle compared to the "models" shot (which was way too sharp). Liking it so far, both nature and balloons are making me super excited!

They should let me play with it in NYC and get some street cinematography! I do all my work handheld with monopod, and I like the look of it. 

12 hours ago, deezid said:

Colorgraded the Models-footage from vimeo done by @John Brawley in ACES colorspace (Rec709 Idt) just using curves and log tools.
Got rid of the harshness using blur and nodes qualifying brighter skintones with even more filtering. Used curves to compress highlights. Even added NR and grain. Looks way smoother now - download the ProRes 4K file to see for yourselves. 

Wonder what you guys think
Looks good to me at least lol

@deezid: I liked the grade you did. It drew my focus to their eyes.  I liked the skin tones for all but the blonde, which seems to be baked into the shot or maybe its just the natural color of her skin that looks unnatural to me.  Anyways - thanks for doing this - it further showed me what the camera is capable of.

19 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Wonder what ISO it was shot at

Nature:
RAW 
ISO400, 1250 and 2500 
Sigma 18-35mm, Rokinon Cine 50mm EF lenses
Metabones Speedbooster to Micro Four Thirds

Models Walking at Night:
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO1000 and 1200
Olympus Pro F4 zoom 12-100 Micro Four Thirds lens

Models Walking in Daylight:
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO1000 and 1250
Olympus Pro 25, 45, 1.2 micro and Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 zoom Micro Four Thirds lenses 

Balloons: 
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO800
Rokinon 25, 50, 80 T1.5 prime lenses

17 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

There's a lot of chromatic grain though. Wonder what ISO it was shot at... Anyway, it looks amazing, and it seems like the shutter was actually set to a good angle compared to the "models" shot (which was way too sharp). 

Are you saying John Brawley’s video wasn’t shot with 180 degree shutter angle? What is a good shutter angle to shoot at, in your opinion?

Wow that thumbnail took a few attempts before I could read the words in the correct order.

BMD and the filmer mentioned that exact reflection in the description of the video, I doubt they would have included the shot and brought attention to it if it was the wrong camera.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

Wow that thumbnail took a few attempts before I could read the words in the correct order.

BMD and the filmer mentioned that exact reflection in the description of the video, I doubt they would have included the shot and brought attention to it if it was the wrong camera.

I guess I was caught off guard and forgot how some people will reach for just about anything in an attempt to troll, and play gear detective. LOL

As they zoomed in on the shades, I spotted the tally in the exact location that it sits on the 4k pocket.

9 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

...That looks like it could be the Pocket 4k? Reflected at an angle with a big lens with a screw-on ND on the front. I don't see what the problem is.

Me either, shrugs...  For a small company, Blackmagic shows a magical ability to bring the WORST out of some people during the build up to one of the camera releases.

46 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

The balloons footage looks great, but the gimbal stuff makes me want to vomit. I'd rather have micro jitter than those floating to hard stop movements. 

There's a lot of chromatic grain though. Wonder what ISO it was shot at... Anyway, it looks amazing, and it seems like the shutter was actually set to a good angle compared to the "models" shot (which was way too sharp). Liking it so far, both nature and balloons are making me super excited!

They should let me play with it in NYC and get some street cinematography! I do all my work handheld with monopod, and I like the look of it. 

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but when you criticize somebody's work then immediately follow up with 'they should let me...', it almost sounds as though you're boasting that you could do better....

36 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

@deezid: I liked the grade you did. It drew my focus to their eyes.  I liked the skin tones for all but the blonde, which seems to be baked into the shot or maybe its just the natural color of her skin that looks unnatural to me.  Anyways - thanks for doing this - it further showed me what the camera is capable of.

Glad it helped.
Btw, uploaded a new version with fixed highlights and brighter lights and less highlight compression (not trying to recreate a necessarily cinematic but more commercial type of look).
Don't forget to download the original ProRes file.

10 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

I guess I was caught off guard and forgot how some people will reach for just about anything in an attempt to troll, and play gear detective. LOL

If you want a good alternative theory video (and can get over the narrators delivery) I think you'll like this one.

@CaptainHook I'm not sure if this is info that you can't divulge, but I was looking at the ISO and DR chart that was shown off at NAB and saw that there's less DR in the high ISO range than the low. Shortly after NAB people locked on to the IMX294CJK as the sensor that the Pocket 4K must be using and from what I can tell, you guys might be using the HDR mode for lower ISOs to get more DR and the normal mode for high ISOs to trade some DR for more light gathering ability. However, this would also mean that the lower ISO would only be 10-bit RAW.

So my question is, is the lower ISO 10-bit RAW or will the footage be 12-bit RAW no matter the ISO?

THANK YOU - @CaptainHook @John Brawley Mark Wyatt and Andreas Neumann for all those footages.  I truly believe is right up there with the Ursa and the BMD team really worked hard in providing the tools for independent filmmakers, videographers, and cinematographers.  My hats off to you guys.  I see my Xmas dreams be coming true.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Are you saying John Brawley’s video wasn’t shot with 180 degree shutter angle? What is a good shutter angle to shoot at, in your opinion?

I don't know what angle he used, but the cadence doesn't look as good as it does in the balloon sequence. It might just be a trick on my eyes and post work/compression. Could be a majority of things in play here. But yeah, point is I prefer the look of motion in Balloon.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

I'm sure you didn't mean it that way, but when you criticize somebody's work then immediately follow up with 'they should let me...', it almost sounds as though you're boasting that you could do better....

Yeah, if that's how it comes off then I wrote it wrong. I just wanted a more everyday set up to look at, someone walking around a city without a gimbal for example.