Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1 hour ago, Dan Wake said:

It is a nice video but in some scenes there is a lot of noise, what do you think about it? 

People infer it is hard to get good outcome with the Pocket. I see exactly the opposite. No experience with it yet. The idea I get from there is that you won't need to struggle with highlights in order to have them under control. The absence of artifacts, moiré, etc. For the price too. Clean low light performance, but also pleasant filmic noise where happens. High standard codecs (let alone BRAW when will arrive) will keep away the usual 8-bit macroblocking we tend to see from low bit rate. Aside the fact you won't easily find that film-like look unless going to post with other digital acquisition tools (when not much limited to below 10-bit), count on it ; ) Not to mention all the stuff this brand has gotten us used to it. Don't tell me the price range is irrelevant... LOL ; -)

There's no other similar offer in the segment and that's nice to know. A good reason to demand top service from the manufacturer. Business policies related, as well.

In a word, a no-brainer : -)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, mnewxcv said:

thanks, that is what I have been looking at and a lot of people speak highly of it. Open to other suggestions as well. Looking for a suitable replacement for NX1/16-50S. 

This is the one you Really want and need LoL. It has the manual clutch which is great for video. Used they aren't that bad. But no OIS.

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-12-40mm-Interchangeable/dp/B00EY3YGBS

3 minutes ago, matthere said:

Has anyone with the camera tried any wide/ultra wide lenses yet? There seem to be reports of some focus issues..

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22425-Soft-edges-with-wide-angle-lenses-on-the-BMP4K

There are no distortion corrections on the PK4 that I know of. So I am sure it is not so hot.

Just now, wyrlyn said:

this is the best all-aound lens for the camera https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-M-Zuiko-Digital-12-100mm-Black/dp/B01LWC5IMC?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_2530050011#customerReviews

12-100 wide-to tele

sharp

whaterproof

great construction

great smooth focus ring

fixed apreture

and IOS.

well dang. Guess I will need to save a little longer. Either that or get the 12-35 and a 40-100(ish) as a secondary. As much as I would love it in one lens, f4.0 just isn't good enough for every situation. 

48 minutes ago, matthere said:

Has anyone with the camera tried any wide/ultra wide lenses yet? There seem to be reports of some focus issues..

http://www.bmcuser.com/showthread.php?22425-Soft-edges-with-wide-angle-lenses-on-the-BMP4K

That is really worrisome ! ? Because I actually had all my wide and not so wide shots, or all my infinity focus shots having softness issues all around the frame ! But as I shot everything with third party speedboosters (such as the Viltrox EF-M2), I thought that it was the cheap speedbooster as well as the slightly bigger m43 sensor that was the cause. I have no native m43 unfortunately to make a test. If it really is the camera’s fault, then it’s gonna be quite a bummer ! For us and for Blackmagic...

I will try an adapted lens with dumb adapter to see if it changes something. If not, I might be returning my camera. It’s a shame because the image out of it is so gorgeous !

And by the way, the lens IS doesn’t work with the viltrox EF-M2 yet. I hope a future firmware will correct it.

I also recently noticed the red orb discussed by someone else in a previous post. It can be bothering in prores :/

But so far it’s this softness issue in the corners that absolutely needs investigation !

7 hours ago, Snuff said:

Shot on: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K (BMPCC4K)
Lenses: Voigtlander 17.5mm f/0.95 and Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4
Resolution and codec: 4K DCI, RAW 4:1, 24P and 60p
ISO: between 400 and 3200.
Edited and graded on DaVinci Resolve 15
LUTs used: BMPCC4K film to extended video (from Blackmagic)
No grain added in post, No denoiser in post

that is awesome, i love it. this is what i come to the forum for, not endless comparisons with other cameras !                                                        i expected the brawley bmd footage to look great and it does, but i have been hanging out waiting for more real world samples and this is it and it delivers.

for the first 20 seconds i thought it was a bunch of stills until the house with the outdoor fire at sunrise (i presume)  that shot sold me, the rest is gravy as far as i'm concerned. sure there's some banding in the airplane shot but we all know youtube pretty much slaughters any video sent its way anyway

i feel the takumar holds pretty well and i,m much more confident the gear i have acquired for stills photography should work well with the bmp4k camera

i actually live in an agricultural area, the area has a lot of orchards and vineyards its inspiring to see this video. thanks to snuff i think for finding this and a big thank you to those who made it

you may now address me  as fanboy bmp4k ?

MFT is the most versatile cinema mount you can find, so you can add from affordable native f/1.7 primes as for instance -- I've had reports 12-35mm f/2.8 is a good match for P4K as well. Both pretty affordable Oly 12-50mm f/3.5‑6.3 and Panny 45-175 f/4.0-5.6 offer you electric-powered zoom capability like you had a video camera in your hands. Without mention the Queen 18-35mm (I'm afraid longer focal length zoom won't make much sense once much heavier) f/1.8 coupled to a focal reducer where ends +1 to + 1 1/3 stop of gain and finally, those incredibly cheap C-mount pieces.

There's no other mount where you can add almost everything you want, even PL mount lenses via adapter. So you are in some special territory where you can even mimic something midway S35mm film and FF look as you wish : -)

10 hours ago, matthere said:

I downloaded a couple of pics, and if you correct the P4K shot to have the same FOV as the GX85, then the difference becomes small.

If you then notice the P4K is actually much sharper in the center than the GX85 (with both lenses !), I would start to think the P4K was actually in focus, and the GX85 not completely, making the difference at the edges less on the Gx85.

10 hours ago, Papiskokuji said:

That is really worrisome ! ? Because I actually had all my wide and not so wide shots, or all my infinity focus shots having softness issues all around the frame ! But as I shot everything with third party speedboosters (such as the Viltrox EF-M2), I thought that it was the cheap speedbooster as well as the slightly bigger m43 sensor that was the cause. I have no native m43 unfortunately to make a test. If it really is the camera’s fault, then it’s gonna be quite a bummer ! For us and for Blackmagic...

I will try an adapted lens with dumb adapter to see if it changes something. If not, I might be returning my camera. It’s a shame because the image out of it is so gorgeous !

And by the way, the lens IS doesn’t work with the viltrox EF-M2 yet. I hope a future firmware will correct it.

I also recently noticed the red orb discussed by someone else in a previous post. It can be bothering in prores :/

But so far it’s this softness issue in the corners that absolutely needs investigation !

Did you set infinity focus on the Viltrox, that could be the issue. You need to turn the optical element inside to make sure infinity focus is correct. I have the Nikon Version and no problem on a Pana M43. Still waiting the BMPCC4k to try it on though. Maybe the Viltrox covers the sensor a bit too much. Their factor is wrong it is not 0.72x but a little bit more.

47 minutes ago, TILT said:

Did you set infinity focus on the Viltrox, that could be the issue. You need to turn the optical element inside to make sure infinity focus is correct. I have the Nikon Version and no problem on a Pana M43. Still waiting the BMPCC4k to try it on though. Maybe the Viltrox covers the sensor a bit too much. Their factor is wrong it is not 0.72x but a little bit more.

I’ll try tonight. I already did but the glass element wasn’t rotating. I might have to use more strength... I’ll also do a test with a simple adapter, no focal reducer. I’ll keep you posted.