Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

6 minutes ago, shooter said:

That's not what I have heard. You would need more powerful hardware with the free version of Resolve.

I have the camera and it came with Resolve Studio. Resolve studio is not the free version. You may be getting confused because people say that the camera comes with Resolve for free but I can assure you, it is Resolve Studio. I'm not all that familiar with all the differences but know that for example, the free version does not support dual GFX cards while Resolve Studio does. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 11.23.36 am.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, shooter said:

This is a good offer. Nobody denies that. Don't shoot please :lol::grin:

Nonetheless, I wonder why a company limits the hardware to use with a free version...

It is an incentive to buy the studio version. But really, most other companies don't offer a free version of their software at all. 

I understand that. Isn't it strange? They look like Santa. Fanboys everywhere. This is like Red. In the end, you pay. Little, but nothing is free. I like transparency. I don't put my hands on fire for anyone. It is young-looking this hype. Good camera... There's no Santa yet.

8 minutes ago, shooter said:

I understand that. Isn't it strange? They look like Santa. Fanboys everywhere. This is like Red. In the end, you pay. Little, but nothing is free. I like transparency. I don't put my hands on fire for anyone. It is young-looking this hype. Good camera... there's no Santa yet.

But you do realise Blackmagic are giving you the FULL VERSION with the Pocket4k don't you?

?‍♂️

1 minute ago, shooter said:

This is a good offer. Nobody denies that. Don't shoot please :lol::grin:

Nonetheless, I wonder why a company limits the hardware of a free version...

hmm i thought this is a forum where we could discuss going out and shooting people ..... with a camera ?

giving away free versions with limitations is standard policy in every market. for instance you could go down to your local market, they may have a woman there giving out marinated steak tidbits on cheese crackers  they might be delicious, but will they give you enough to fill your belly, i think not. to fill your belly you have to go buy that steak, marinade, and cheese cracker from their store preferably. same with software, and if you need to complete that project in half the time then you will need to upgrade that software which will cost you $ plus there's a side benefit , the fact if your using bm's software well you can't really be using any one elses software at the same time now can you ?

Just now, shooter said:

Yes, of course. Let me ask you quite directly. Why so worried about that? Are you a seller to sell me? This is so weird. 

It's weird that you expect things to be free. It's just not the way the world works. I'm assuming that you are over ten years old here and I probably shouldn't do this just in case you aren't but......................Santa doesn't exist. 

3 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

It's weird that you expect things to be free. It's just not the way the world works. I'm assuming that you are over ten years old here and I probably shouldn't do this just in case you aren't but......................Santa doesn't exist. 

yer poor old santa perished when i was about 15, i was lucky to have him around for so long i guess  ?

21 minutes ago, shooter said:

Yes, of course. Let me ask you quite directly. Why so worried about that? Are you a seller to sell me? This is so weird. 

Aaaand on this note, it would seem that Blackmagic's biggest mistake is making a cinema style camera that everyone can afford but not everyone would know what to do with.

It's like handing an Alexa Mini to a teenager  who's only interest is in taking photos of themselves in the mirror for instagram. They are going to wonder why the camera doesn't focus for them, or have built in tacky picture styles etc. Blackmagic have stuffed up the release of this camera, by making it so affordable and available to everyone it would seem.

2 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

Doesn't exist. That's my line. haha I don't expect things to be free. The free version exists yes or no? You guys embarrass yourselves. This marketing is very weird.  

3 minutes ago, shooter said:

Doesn't exist. That's my line. haha I don't expect things to be free. The free version exists yes or no? You guys embarrass yourselves. This marketing is very weird.  

I can't support this way of doing business. We want to read unbiased people. What fanboys talk? This is Walmart!  

18 minutes ago, greenscreen said:

Really? To me, it would seem you're here to sell the camera. I am being honest with you.

Thanks for your honesty. I originally came here to discuss the camera I had pre-ordered as I saw John Brawley was active on here. Then, when I received the camera, I came here to share information as well as find things out from others. If talking a lot about your new camera and answering questions on it comes across as trying to sell it, then so be it but I'm not in the business of selling cameras. It also seems that if you like a camera and make perfectly valid points about it, you are a fanboy? I just don't get it here.

Shooter sounded confused about Resolve and so I tried to help but does going out of your way to help someone these days mean you are trying to sell them something? Sad times!

I've made a few posts on other threads recommending Sony cameras but again, I'm not selling Sony either.

I am based in Melbourne, Australia which is where BMD are also based. I know Andrew suspects I might work for BMD but I can assure you I don't. While I am so far liking the camera a lot, if I had worked at BMD and had any involvement in the camera,  I would not have let it go out the door without a tilt-able screen. Is it a deal breaker for me? No, but I can't understand why they would put a nice, sharp 1080p screen on a camera that you couldn't use all the time. 

I haven't been able to post on BMCuser because my account activation hasn't been completed. Thanks to a few users here who have PM'd me, that can soon change and you'll see the back of me. After a few weeks off from work, I'm looking forward to getting back to it. Too much pointless computer time sucks me in to discussions that I usually like to partake in but don't have the time for. 

Would have loved to have informative conversation about this camera but this forum doesn't seem to want to support good, informative conversation.