Andrew Reid

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!

On 26/09/2017 at 7:27 PM, Jan G said:

Hi Jonpais, i also noticed this, so I did a comparison in photo mode using a 25mm prime from panasonic. First I took a shot in 4:3 mode en the exif says 25mm is 50mm in the 35mm equivalent then I took a shot in 16:9 mode and now the exif says 25mm is 54mm in the 35mm equivalent this is the same crop as in movie mode.  So this confirms tweaks answer and is not a bug.

Regards,

Jan

Cool man, thanks for checking!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 20/09/2017 at 2:39 AM, philipd said:

We will find out soon enough who is right, I hope I'm wrong as I don't want to pay a premium and replace good memory cards if I don't need to either..  However it was Panasonic instrumental in introducing this new protocol in SD version 5.0 or higher specifically to allow cameras like the GH5 to run at very high bit-rates to SDXC memory cards, as it couldn't be done otherwise.

Regards

Phil

As per the picture CInegain put up, the UHS-II (non V rated) cards work fine. I can't test the dual card record function though and it might only work with identical V60 cards. So considering both those points, everyone is right. :) 

5 hours ago, Orangenz said:

As per the picture CInegain put up, the UHS-II (non V rated) cards work fine. I can't test the dual card record function though and it might only work with identical V60 cards. So considering both those points, everyone is right. :) 

Hi

Good news, thanks for reporting back, and I've seen successes and failures reported on non V90 cards even if the speed rating suggests it would be okay, so it might be a luck of the draw a little bit. (My Sandisk V30 cards work fine with FHD at 200Mbits/sec but failed after 20 or 30 seconds at 400Mbits/sec for 4K but that was expected). I'd be inclined not to trust anything important to a non V90 card, but otherwise if it works it works.  In terms of backup to two cards, Panasonic have stated in their manual insert update for firmware 2.0 that at least one card must be a V60 or better for the back up function to two cards.

Good on Panasonic for not blocking non rated V60 or 90 cards which I thought they might have done, so the camera at least can have a best effort attempt at any card.

Regards

Phil

Oh spoot. I forgot that the gh5 does not display shutter speed in aperture priority mode. This is so silly.  Does the new firmware?  Really without it you need to be able to set minimum shutter angle

Hi guys. I have an issue with 4K 60fps to 30fps conforming into FCPX. I didn't want to open a new thread because it might be something really simple i am missing here.. It worked fine when i shot some stuff at 4K 50 and conformed to 25. But yesterday i tried to do the same with 4k 60fps footage on a 30 fps timeline (with automatic speed of course) and after conforming i noticed that the playback was choppy. I zoomed in and saw duplicate frames, exactly as this was shot at 30 fps and then stretched at half speed....Weird. Do you have any idea what's going on?

P.S. I also shot some stuff in 1080p 60 on the same card (Sandisk V30) and it worked as expected in post, the problem lies only on 4K 60 files, they actually behave as 4k 30...(Firmware 2.00).

On 05/10/2017 at 7:21 AM, Dimitris Stasinos said:

Hi guys. I have an issue with 4K 60fps to 30fps conforming into FCPX. I didn't want to open a new thread because it might be something really simple i am missing here.. It worked fine when i shot some stuff at 4K 50 and conformed to 25. But yesterday i tried to do the same with 4k 60fps footage on a 30 fps timeline (with automatic speed of course) and after conforming i noticed that the playback was choppy. I zoomed in and saw duplicate frames, exactly as this was shot at 30 fps and then stretched at half speed....Weird. Do you have any idea what's going on?

P.S. I also shot some stuff in 1080p 60 on the same card (Sandisk V30) and it worked as expected in post, the problem lies only on 4K 60 files, they actually behave as 4k 30...(Firmware 2.00).

Open the thread :-)

@Philipd

Thanks for clarification on the v ratings etc, very useful.  My best Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro uhs I, U3 cards, 95MB/s last about 19 seconds at the new All-I rate.

PhilipD, how come these same cards would work in the even higher data rate on say, a Canon 5D mk. 4, for a lot longer anyway?

17 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Open the thread :-)

After some tests i figured this out. When you set GH5 to record 4K 60 fps, for some reason the shutter speed goes up to 1/30 sec and does not stop at 1/60 as it should. So if you accidentally set the shutter speed at 1/50 for example (as i did), then the camera records at 30 fps (it totally makes sense). In FHD 60p mode though the shutter speed can't be set at these values, it stops at 1/60, again as it should be to prevent mistakes. So be careful with the shutter speed setting when you are recording 4K 60 fps, it's different than shooting FHD 60 fps.

5 hours ago, Jn- said:

@Philipd

Thanks for clarification on the v ratings etc, very useful.  My best Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro uhs I, U3 cards, 95MB/s last about 19 seconds at the new All-I rate.

PhilipD, how come these same cards would work in the even higher data rate on say, a Canon 5D mk. 4, for a lot longer anyway?

Hi

I suppose a lot depends on the hardware in the camera and how the firmware might be optimized specifically for different cards.  The Canon may also have a much larger buffer allowing it ride over dips in the card write speed.

For example the GH5 has been tested to really only work with the newer standard for V60/V90 type cards and newer recording protocols and I suspect they've pretty much ignored all other older cards on the market, anything else that works is a lucky accident, whereas the Canon may not support this new standard (I don't know if it does or not) so might be optimised to recognise popular SD cards and the firmware knows about their characteristics to write more reliably.

Regards

Phil

5 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

After some tests i figured this out. When you set GH5 to record 4K 60 fps, for some reason the shutter speed goes up to 1/30 sec and does not stop at 1/60 as it should. So if you accidentally set the shutter speed at 1/50 for example (as i did), then the camera records at 30 fps (it totally makes sense). In FHD 60p mode though the shutter speed can't be set at these values, it stops at 1/60, again as it should be to prevent mistakes. So be careful with the shutter speed setting when you are recording 4K 60 fps, it's different than shooting FHD 60 fps.

Why not just set the camera to be at 180 Degree shutter angle instead and then you’ll never have to change it?

Is this correct with version 2.0 firmware:

6K 24p at 10 bit 4:2:0 full gate 4/3 aspect ratio Long GOP H265

4K 24p at 10 bit 4:2:2 400mb/s all-intra

4K 60p at 10 bit 4:2:2 via HDMI.

4K 60p at 8 bit 4:2:0 internal recording.

1080p at 10 bit 4:2:2 60p 200mb/s all-intra

1080p at 8 bit 4:2:0 180fps slow motion.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Good news for GH5 users!

The new IS lock stabilator is incredible. It "glues" the lens in static clips but it helps in other ways too.

Surprisingly the IS lock makes walking with camera very stable and smooth. It makes "floating" stabilization and keeps the frame balanced smoothly. Combined with DUAL IS2 lens and e-stabilization the walking with camera is very smooth and stable. I have used my 14-140 II lens.