Jump to content

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

Thanks! So that is why I like the idea of a GH%. Dual recording! I always use it on my C100. 

The 64gb are the same, just less capacity? I can see the benefit to that approach.

Yes....they are bomber...the only higher capacity cards I use (more Gigs) are 240 G SSDs...but I'm old school!...SSD is a much more robust media format...you may find with time you add a 2nd GH5 and a Shogun...you can then record in Prores HQ at 800mbs and your footage gets ridiculously good...the other seldom mentioned fact about something like a Shogun, are the exposure or focus tools...I use reading glasses, and a DP lol...but most of the stuff I see posted on the internet is out of focus...you catch focus on a GH5 and the image is amazing!...if I get funding for a feature plus a series I would pitch to Netflix, I would buy the Varicam LT, and use the GH5/Shogun as a Bcam to the Varicam LT...not the EVA1!..and I don't mean by that, as a crashcam!...but as a second camera in a 2 camera shoot...of course...image is totally subjective....you ultimately have to make up your own mind....but RELIABITY is not subjective...it's an absolute must for any paid work or narrative....I would also caution against buying the camera and shooting a wedding with it a couple of days later...you have to put in the time...this camera may be rated as a consumer level camera, but it's not...it's very much a camera for a professional.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode, while fun, is severely hampered by its 4:3 aspect ratio" UM! That's what an anamorphic mode is - 4:3 Someone let our dear friends at Cinema5D know.

Here are some 1080 JPEGS from a music video that I shot with the GH5 + SLR Magic anamorphic primes.  

A couple of quick screengrabs from a recent Jazz concert I shot. I must say I was super impressed with the GH5 on this one - not only it recorded for 1h30m straight with no issues but it did so on one

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Yes....they are bomber...the only higher capacity cards I use (more Gigs) are 240 G SSDs...but I'm old school!...SSD is a much more robust media format...you may find with time you add a 2nd GH5 and a Shogun...you can then record in Prores HQ at 800mbs and your footage gets ridiculously good...if I get funding for a feature plus a series I would pitch to Netflix, I would buy the Varicam LT, and use the GH5/Shogun as a Bcam to the Varicam LT...not the EVA1!....and I don't mean by that, as a crashcam!...but as a second camera in a 2 camera shoot...of course...image is totally subjective....you ultimately have to make up your own mind....but RELIABITY is not subjective...it's an absolute must for any paid work or narrative....I would also caution against buying the camera and shooting a wedding with it a couple of days later...you have to put in the time...this camera may be rated as a consumer level camera, but it's not...it's very much a camera for a professional.

You are right about shooting something almost immediately with a new camera but if I'm honest I've done it a few times (well at least after a few hours testing). I have experience of Lumix and more pro cameras. I have used Panasonic, Sony, Canon, JVC...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thpriest said:

You are right about shooting something almost immediately with a new camera but if I'm honest I've done it a few times (well at least after a few hours testing). I have experience of Lumix and more pro cameras. I have used Panasonic, Sony, Canon, JVC...

OK...enough rambling on my part....did not want to steer you in the wrong direction lol!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Has anyone used the GH5 with the metabones speedbooster XL yet ? 

I have, using a Canon mount Sigma Art 18-35/1.8, and a Canon 200/1.8L

The Canon 200/1.8L was reported as f1.2 when wide open  *8^)

Worked for me...

Have to test my Canon 50/1.0L, it worked good on the GH4 with the Metabones 0.64XL Speedbooster.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

@buggz thats amazing, apsh crop in 4K sounds like its worth the upgrade

I'm still not exactly understanding all the crops, aspect ratios, focal length, etc.
I kinda do for the GH4, as Metabones have posted the information on their site.
I don't see this information for the GH5.
I do notice a difference in the views between C4K/24, and photo modes on the GH5.
I am debating on which additional Speedbooster to get, as I want separate ones for my GH4 and my GH5.

I'm trying to kit two anamorphic video rigs.


Metabones Speed Booster XL 0.64x Specifications:
Magnification:  0.64x
Crop Factor for Full Micro Four Thirds format:  1.28x
Crop Factor with GH4 in Cinema 4k (4096 x 2160) Video Mode:  1.5x

Metabones Speed Booster ULTRA m43 Specifications:
Magnification:  0.71x
Crop Factor for Full Micro Four Thirds format:  1.42x
Crop Factor with GH4 in Cinema 4k (4096 x 2160) Video Mode:  1.66x

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, so on a GH5 the crops are the same for stills and C4K video?
My GH5 LCD doesn't show that when I switch from C4K to stills, they are different views.
I will have to take photos and show, perhaps with a grid background...

Does the following hold true?

GH4 stills with 0.64XL = lens focal length in mm X 0.64 x 1.28 = 35mm equivalent focal length
50mm X 0.64 = 32mm X 1.28 = 40.96mm

GH4 C4K with 0.64XL = lens focal length in mm X 0.64 x 1.5 = 35mm equivalent focal length
50mm X 0.64 = 32mm X 1.5 = 48mm

-=-

GH4 stills with 0.71 = lens focal length in mm X 0.71 x 1.42 = 35mm equivalent focal length
50mm X 0.71 = 35.5mm X 1.42 = 50.41mm

GH4 C4K with 0.71 = lens focal length in mm X 0.71 x 1.66x = 35mm equivalent focal length
50mm X 0.71 = 35.5mm X 1.66 = 58.93mm
 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@buggz...personally I would always opt for the widest FOV and the fastest adapter: the XL...others may not feel this way, but disregarding vignetting on some lenses, is an extra 1/3 of a stop worth it to you?....could well be the difference between getting a shot or not...for me, that alone is worth doing a bit of cropping in post, in the case of vignetting on some lenses...as everyone does some post now anyway, why not simply crop in post on this more versatile and faster adapter...for my needs that seems the prudent choice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@buggz...personally I would always opt for the widest FOV and the fastest adapter: the XL...others may not feel this way, but disregarding vignetting on some lenses, is an extra 1/3 of a stop worth it to you?....could well be the difference between getting a shot or not...for me, that alone is worth doing a bit of cropping in post, in the case of vignetting on some lenses...as everyone does some post now anyway, why not simply crop in post on this more versatile and faster adapter...for my needs that seems the prudent choice.

I agree, BTW,  I do this for family friends, not as a paid gig, or anything, some call me crazy for the amount of gear I have and use at school choir shows.

Shrug, it's what I do...

9 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Has anyone used the GH5 with the metabones speedbooster XL yet ? 

A still from the weekend.
Don't really know how this happened in daylight, no ND filters, etc.
GH5 - Metabones Speedbooster 0.64XL, 20mm macro tube, Canon 200/1.8L
You really can't see this properly on the web, the resize and Firefox kills the contrast range.

Yeah, the bee is out of focus, shrug...

DarkMoodBumble.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2017 at 4:33 PM, buggz said:

Oh, so on a GH5 the crops are the same for stills and C4K video?
My GH5 LCD doesn't show that when I switch from C4K to stills, they are different views.
I will have to take photos and show, perhaps with a grid background...

The field of view seems much smaller because of the larger difference in vertical height between the two aspect ratios (4:3 stills and 16:9 or 17:9 video). But they're all using the full sensor width.

Most photo cameras are 3:2 for stills, which is more rectangular than 4:3, and thus there's less of a vertical difference between stills and video.

The GH4 cropped/windowed into the sensor for UHD and C4K, but not for its 1080p modes, so there was a difference in width as well as height.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Question GH5 people. Maybe I'm just too dumb but when you mount a lens that has no electronic contacts, you get prompted to enter the focal length. Below that, there are 3 preset focal lengths you can pick via touch (24mm, 35mm, 50mm). Is there any way to customize these 3 preset focal lengths to show something different? I can't find how but it would be a big flaw if not possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Phil A said:

Question GH5 people. Maybe I'm just too dumb but when you mount a lens that has no electronic contacts, you get prompted to enter the focal length. Below that, there are 3 preset focal lengths you can pick via touch (24mm, 35mm, 50mm). Is there any way to customize these 3 preset focal lengths to show something different? I can't find how but it would be a big flaw if not possible.

Yes there is a way. If you use the joystick you can highlight and change the numbers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Phil A said:

You can't imagine how happy I am that it was the case of me just being dumb. Thanks, I have no idea why I was so blind not to figure that out. Love it.

I've only had my GH5 a few weeks, with very little time to spare on it...the menu system is enormously complex...this is not a pick up and go shoot camera...as something carelessly selected in one area, disables other things elsewhere...I will say though, that once you've configured it to your liking, the GH5 IMO is simply unequalled in so many areas and in comparison to cameras costing far more...I would use it without the slightest hesitation alongside a Varicam LT (which I consider the current Holy Grail of cinema cameras!)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I just have to ask. Can anyone tell me why my iPhone has much better auto focus and face follow focus than my GH5?

Is there any excuse for how crappy the autofocus is on this long awaited camera? Who cares how good the stabilization is if the image won't focus???

Anyone. Panasonic, are you listening. How do you feel being embarrassed by the iPhone and other phones, and by the three year old a6000 and the 70D???

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but I just have to ask. Can anyone tell me why my iPhone has much better auto focus and face follow focus than my GH5?

Is there any excuse for how crappy the autofocus is on this long awaited camera? Who cares how good the stabilization is if the image won't focus???

Anyone. Panasonic, are you listening. How do you feel being embarrassed by the iPhone and other phones, and by the three year old a6000 and the 70D???

Yh even the ARRI Alexa and Red Helium get serviced by an iPhone. Why would anyone buy a RED Helium or ARRI Alexa then??

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...