Jump to content

Panasonic GH5 - all is revealed!


Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

The way the contrast detect based AF on the GH5 works is by cranking the sensor to frame rates of 240fps, maybe even higher, and very CPU intensive analysing of bokeh and depth of field (DFD mode).

So you can't expect AF to be as fast at 24p in video mode as it is in stills mode.

What Panasonic need to do is get Dual Pixel AF technology on the sensor.

It is the only reliable way of doing good AF for filmmakers. The phase-detect A6500 route is a dead-end, it's just not bomb proof enough. It hardly ever tracks reliably, especially in low light.

Meanwhile good old manual focus has resulted in many classic films, so I suggest we stop being so lazy and use that instead :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"6K/24p Anamorphic Video Mode, while fun, is severely hampered by its 4:3 aspect ratio" UM! That's what an anamorphic mode is - 4:3 Someone let our dear friends at Cinema5D know.

Here are some 1080 JPEGS from a music video that I shot with the GH5 + SLR Magic anamorphic primes.  

A couple of quick screengrabs from a recent Jazz concert I shot. I must say I was super impressed with the GH5 on this one - not only it recorded for 1h30m straight with no issues but it did so on one

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What Panasonic need to do is get Dual Pixel AF technology on the sensor.

It is the only reliable way of doing good AF for filmmakers. The phase-detect A6500 route is a dead-end, it's just not bomb proof enough. It hardly ever tracks reliably, especially in low light.

Meanwhile good old manual focus has resulted in many classic films, so I suggest we stop being so lazy and use that instead :)

I use the video autofocus on the A6500 for gimbal work and it works really, really well. You can definitely depend on it. 

DPAF is ridiculous though. 

Also manual focus is an art - I still use that for 98% of shots. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, DBounce said:

It looks good, but no dof. 

Agreed...but he's shooting in fairly bright light so he's probably stopped down quite a bit...if memory serves correctly he's shooting on a 25mm 1.7...he mentions this as an anamorphic handheld travel rig...to get shallow DOF he'd have to use a strong ND..and open up the lens..when  DOF gets that shallow, shooting slows down considerably....my takeaway from these clips is that this little 1.33 40 adapter could actually work in a narrative environment where you can then lock the camera off and get shallow depth of field, when needed, to advance the storyline...good reason DPs prefer to shoot full features around 5.8 though!...they get things in focus...I find this adapter impressive for $500 though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed...but he's shooting in fairly bright light so he's probably stopped down quite a bit...if memory serves correctly he's shooting on a 25mm 1.7...he mentions this as an anamorphic handheld travel rig...to get shallow DOF he'd have to use a strong ND..and open up the lens..when  DOF gets that shallow, shooting slows down considerably....my takeaway from these clips is that this little 1.33 40 adapter could actually work in a narrative environment where you can then lock the camera off and get shallow depth of field, when needed, to advance the storyline...good reason DPs prefer to shoot full features around 5.8 though!...they get things in focus...I find this adapter impressive for $500 though!

So he is cropping in? At 25mm I think he would have vignette? Plus his edge sharpness looks pretty clean if not cropped in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Agreed...but he's shooting in fairly bright light so he's probably stopped down quite a bit...if memory serves correctly he's shooting on a 25mm 1.7...he mentions this as an anamorphic handheld travel rig...to get shallow DOF he'd have to use a strong ND..and open up the lens..when  DOF gets that shallow, shooting slows down considerably....my takeaway from these clips is that this little 1.33 40 adapter could actually work in a narrative environment where you can then lock the camera off and get shallow depth of field, when needed, to advance the storyline...good reason DPs prefer to shoot full features around 5.8 though!...they get things in focus...I find this adapter impressive for $500 though!

Thanks Fritz. Video author here. As you've pointed out, I was shooting in an environment that didn't lend itself to "cinematic" shots, which require a little more setup. I was constantly on the move and working with a very new-to-me lens combination. But with the necessary preparation the lens and adapter can absolutely be used for narrative work, delivering a nice shallow depth of field when needed, and it also flares very pleasantly. All for $500. I'm impressed too.... ;-)

9 hours ago, DBounce said:

So he is cropping in? At 25mm I think he would have vignette? Plus his edge sharpness looks pretty clean if not cropped in.

There is no major cropping. There is a tiny amount applied when using FCP X stabilization to moderate some of the handheld drifting, but the GH5 sensor stabilization is excellent in that regard. The lens combination is very sharp edge to edge, with no vignetting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, stoneinapond said:

Thanks Fritz. Video author here. As you've pointed out, I was shooting in an environment that didn't lend itself to "cinematic" shots, which require a little more setup. I was constantly on the move and working with a very new-to-me lens combination. But with the necessary preparation the lens and adapter can absolutely be used for narrative work, delivering a nice shallow depth of field when needed, and it also flares very pleasantly. All for $500. I'm impressed too.... ;-)

Great footage!...and in "Painters Garden" too....@Dbounce also has the 1.33 40 and has posted some great footage...this is an intriguing adapter!...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Not yet Glenn, I have so many cameras over my desk, I can't decide to quit from any of them yet. But, I surely will ;-)

Isn't that what they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, or the one you already own. What do you shoot with now? Actually, I'm unsure if I ever asked you, what kind of work do you do... corporate, music videos, documentaries, narratives?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mercer said:

Isn't that what they say, the best camera is the one you have with you, or the one you already own. What do you shoot with now? Actually, I'm unsure if I ever asked you, what kind of work do you do... corporate, music videos, documentaries, narratives?

Yes, it's true : ) Funny question... I've just posted a new thread on topic:

I have enrolled myself in some productions (mostly narrative, aside a few docs or experimental stuff when happens) of other people, although in sabbatical retirement these last two years. When and where I've practically dedicated myself to photography as personal path of my own or funding new projects to come next year or to luckily start in the end of this year. Let's see what happens... :-)

5DII, earlier GH series' offer and G7 by this chronological order with or another exception aside, as shooter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...