Jump to content

Canon delivery


Andrew Reid

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m excited - got my camera cage sorted and ready to go!   

Yeah, he's done really well there persuading London to switch on its Christmas lights for him to shoot that test.

Again I'm not so much interested in the personal or individual targets (just examples to illustrate a wider point)... I am sure she is a success at what she does. But Mediocrity is the new gold s

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Kino said:

Even Lok got one on "First Lok." Here, he shows why it is Canon's best vlog cam . . . until it gets too warm and you have to switch hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbqtkR_yyjM

272994977_R5-TheBestVlogCam.thumb.png.884ee4f18cf66b6d1c4d27aaae5ed305.png

It might overheat but the footage and autofocus in this review is exceptional. I am surprised. So much so that most will forgive it the overheating in oversampled mode once clog 3 comes in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yurolov said:

most will forgive it the overheating

“Most”? I’d be surprised.

The word used is “overheating”. But it’s more than that - it’s destroying a shot. Ruining a day’s work. Wrecking a wedding. The potential implications go beyond what can be measured using a thermometer.

Easy to forgive?

Having said that, I might overlook the issue. I shoot short sequences in cold weather and the 8k might be fun. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

“Most”? I’d be surprised.

The word used is “overheating”. But it’s more than that - it’s destroying a shot. Ruining a day’s work. Wrecking a wedding. The potential implications go beyond what can be measured using a thermometer.

Easy to forgive?

Having said that, I might overlook the issue. I shoot short sequences in cold weather and the 8k might be fun. 

I think if the main thing you do is photography and you want some video on the side, or if you want photography and the ability to shoot very high quality short clips, then this is something to consider at least. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sony is doing worst thermally for a lot longer, and they became a hit with terrible ergonomics and batteries (until recently).

Probably (I say, most certainly) these Canon's will be super hits.

"Pro videographer" as it used to be, is probably something of the past, or someone that shoots C series cameras and up, definitely is a not enough demographic to influence A series - in the past - or R series - now - sales significantly.

These days I see more "Spec shooters", than video ones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

R5 and R6 will sell like hotcakes, the new BM is not going to take a bit of canon customers, when Clog3 upgrade is added I am sure we will have exceptional footage and several DIY solutions for the overheating, I still think the R5 is too expensive for all the issues, most probably we will have to use an external monitor for continuos recording, anyway, let's wait and see, next month will be very interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hijodeibn said:

R5 and R6 will sell like hotcakes, the new BM is not going to take a bit of canon customers, when Clog3 upgrade is added I am sure we will have exceptional footage and several DIY solutions for the overheating, I still think the R5 is too expensive for all the issues, most probably we will have to use an external monitor for continuos recording, anyway, let's wait and see, next month will be very interesting.

I'm too disappointed to buy either one. Until Canon removes that ridiculous 30min recording limit and offers backup video recording neither of these cameras can replace my GH5.  If they do add backup recording and remove the time limit from the R6 and the thermal issues prove to be not as bad as it sounds then I'll probably at a minimum get two R6's to replace the GH5 and maybe an R5 to replace the 5DIV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
On 7/18/2020 at 7:18 AM, Yurolov said:

It might overheat but the footage and autofocus in this review is exceptional. I am surprised. So much so that most will forgive it the overheating in oversampled mode once clog 3 comes in. 

Exceptional footage.

Can barely tell it apart from cinema.

blade-runner-2019.jpg

R5 - The Best Vlog Cam.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking the overheating aside, (for my needs, shooting 4k 120p) I would probably need to double that investment in order to store and process video from the huge 120p 4k video files. I had one on order but cancelled it once reality set in:

  • I'd have to fork out at least $1,000 in CF Express chips.
  • I'd probably need to purchase a new computer and/or switch to FCP in order to edit the files: $300 to $3,000 (Davinci Resolve will work sort of, but I would have to optimize each clip in order for them to play properly. (At least on my Mac as it is.))
  • I'd have to upgrade my hard disk array for more storage to store the massive files from their codecs: $2,000

So now I'm looking at an investment in the neighborhood of $7,000 - $10,000 in order to process and store their 4k 120p files. Beautiful footage but at a price.

Either I'll stick with what I have (Z Cam E2) or switch to the A7SIII once we find out the details on that camera.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...