Jump to content

Sony a7SIII - Full Frame 4K 60fps 10bit with Flip Out Screen


Dave Maze

Recommended Posts

I really hope this is true:


"One anonymous source told me the Sept 18 event will indeed give us the A7sIII with fully articulated screen and 4k60p."

-https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-will-have-a-big-e-mount-announcement-on-september-18-1-day-and-a-press-conference-on-september-25-too/

If the Sony a7SIII truly had a flip out screen with 4k 60fps in 10bit....there would be a huge stir in the market and seems like a Sony thing to do. They have a history of crapping on their competition when things get competitive, and specs like this would crush Canon and Nikon. 

Sony really has such a lead in the marked of FF Mirrorless and it seems as though the beast has been awakened. Not even a week ago Sony didn't plan on announcing anything at Photokina, and based on the excitement for Nikon and mostly Canon EOS R, it seems Sony has decided to pull the ultimate mic drop. 

If there really is a fully articulating screen on the a7siii what does that mean about the body? Is it totally redesigned? Is it just an a9 frame with a flip out screen stapled onto it? Did they finally bite the bullet and pay a licensing fee to Canon for the flip out technology? 

Sony seems to listen to their customers and 4k 60, 10bit, and flip out screen are literally the three most requested features they have had for their a7 lineup I'm sure. I know as a pro youtuber, if sony gave a fully articulating screen to the a7siii, they would dominate the market. 

I sure hope these rumors are true. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not a bug... it's a high-tech hand warmer...

Dear god, no more fully articulated screens. There is no need. Fuji already fixed it with the X-T100. Please save us from the plague that is the fully articulated screen!

I understand YMMV, but I shoot 4K video regularly with both the A7III and A7RIII trackside, where it is often 120° ambient and I have yet to even received a heat warning. I think most reports of overh

Posted Images

  • Super Members
3 minutes ago, noone said:

Is a flip out screen a Canon thing?

Olympus had a fully rotating flip out screen on their long defunct four thirds DSLRs.

Sony is still one of the two largest shareholders in Olympus as well I think (along with Nikon).

My old Epson RD1 had it. Ni video though. Or liveview.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oldest camera with a fully articulated screen I can find IS a Canon (Powershot G2 from 2001), Oldest ILC is that Epson RD1(March 2004)

Oly E3 was 2007.

First Canon ILC I can find is the Canon 60D from 2010 (after several Olympus, Sony,, Nikon and Panasonic ILCs).

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, noone said:

Is a flip out screen a Canon thing?

Olympus had a fully rotating flip out screen on their long defunct four thirds DSLRs.

Sony is still one of the two largest shareholders in Olympus as well I think (along with Nikon).

Also the Olympus E M1 II has a full articulated screen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

 

-https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-sony-will-have-a-big-e-mount-announcement-on-september-18-1-day-and-a-press-conference-on-september-25-too/

If the Sony a7SIII truly had a flip out screen with 4k 60fps in 10bit....there would be a huge stir in the market and seems like a Sony thing to do. They have a history of crapping on their competition when things get competitive, and specs like this would crush Canon and Nikon. 

That link is "SR5", which means *very* likely. 

 

But it seems, from my reading of it ("an anamous source", so not one of his regulars?), the 4K 60fps 10bit with flip screen is *not* part of that SR5 news?

So I wouldn't be holding your breath just yet. 

14 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:


If there really is a fully articulating screen on the a7siii what does that mean about the body? Is it totally redesigned? Is it just an a9 frame with a flip out screen stapled onto it? Did they finally bite the bullet and pay a licensing fee to Canon for the flip out technology? 

Sony seems to listen to their customers and 4k 60, 10bit, and flip out screen are literally the three most requested features they have had for their a7 lineup I'm sure. I know as a pro youtuber, if sony gave a fully articulating screen to the a7siii, they would dominate the market. 

I agree, it is a key feature for vlogging, much more important than even auto focus. 

 

Plus even for non-vlogging uses, I prefer the flip out screen over the one which can only tilt. 

As being able to flip it out so often ends up being very handy. For instance tonight I was booming a scene *AND* stopping/starting the C Camera that happened to be next to me (it is a small crew). Being able to flip out the screen to face me (so I can see it while booming) was very handy!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the overheating thing was long done, but I saw tons of videos testing it and it's still happening (just 4k 24p 8 bit internal) even indoors. 22min for the a7iii, longer for the a7riii, but still under 35 min in the tests I saw. That be really embarrassing if you have an interview with someone important, that has limited time and you keep having your camera overheat before you can finish the interview... I don't see how they are going to pull off 4k 60 without external, let alone 4k 60 with 10 bit internal. That would be awesome if they did though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Topic of this thread was misleading me to believe there was a rumor about a 10bit Sony. There has not been one yet.

The new Nikons on the other hand are 10bit full HDMI beasts for granted! And that with Nikon colors!

My headline for this thread: "Sony a7s3 with 8bit for sure and flip out screen, no word about 10bit" :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Topic of this thread was misleading me to believe there was a rumor about a 10bit Sony. There has not been one yet.

The new Nikons on the other hand are 10bit full HDMI beasts for granted! And that with Nikon colors!

My headline for this thread: "Sony a7s3 with 8bit for sure and flip out screen, no word about 10bit" :)

10bit is confirmed. RX0 is Sony's first prosumer camera to output 10bit 422 via HDMI, there will be more to come.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...