Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

8 hours ago, drm said:

I would not suggest that most people swap the GH5s for the P4K. I have several P4Ks, the GH5, & the GH5s cameras. I use them daily and I like the GH5s and the P4K both very much. The GH5s & the P4K are totally different animals, each with strengths. If I am doing a run & gun type event, I regularly take the GH5s cameras, as they are easy to use, have great battery life, and can produce great images straight out of camera. If I am filming a music video, interview, or similar, I regularly take the P4Ks. The P4Ks allow you to record RAW and produce lovely footage, but they require lots of attention to get great results. They also have lots of issues like focus issues (slow), handling, poor battery life, gimbal balance issues, post processing, etc. The GH5s is much easier to just grab, shoot, and produce great results straight out of camera.

As long as you are aware of the P4K limitations, and are aware of the post processing requirements, you should love the P4K. It is capable of producing amazing footage.

Completely agree here. Against my better judgement I chose to use my P4K instead of my usual GH5s on a run and gun shoot yesterday. By the time I rigged it up to match basic usability features like battery life and articulating screen of the GH5s, the P4K was a bit cumbersome. People have different tolerances for such things, but I'd much rather have the tiny, nimble GH5s for shoots like this from now on. Still, it was a good test of the P4K for this kind of shoot. I still love it for narrative and interviews.

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

Completely agree here. Against my better judgement I chose to use my P4K instead of my usual GH5s on a run and gun shoot yesterday. By the time I rigged it up to match basic usability features like battery life and articulating screen of the GH5s, the P4K was a bit cumbersome. People have different tolerances for such things, but I'd much rather have the tiny, nimble GH5s for shoots like this from now on. Still, it was a good test of the P4K for this kind of shoot. I still love it for narrative and interviews.

I don’t know if it’s possible but if only Panny would add ProRes Raw via HDMI and USB-C recording to their GH5S cameras along with that lovely linear focus option from the S1. The difference between the two would be narrowed slightly more.

Yeah the GH5S really can't match the image quality the Pocket offers. But if you wants something light and or don't want to do much processing in post, at still get a super clean image, the GH5S is superior.

Battery life is really the big killer on the Pocket in regards to run and gun stuff. You really need some time of at least semi bulky external battery, unless you don't mind changing them every 30 minutes.

Panny needs to add a reduced NR/sharpening mode as well as internal RAW!

Everyone probably knows this, but I've seen people rig up cine-type cameras before they leave for the shoot and just pull out the whole rig and then can start using it.  Obviously you need a decent case and it will take up a bit more room, but it's a way to cut out some time and get a bit more flexibility if you need to.

24 minutes ago, kye said:

Everyone probably knows this, but I've seen people rig up cine-type cameras before they leave for the shoot and just pull out the whole rig and then can start using it.  Obviously you need a decent case and it will take up a bit more room, but it's a way to cut out some time and get a bit more flexibility if you need to.

Yeah for me its just the sacrifice of a small body, which is part of the appeal of a Pocket cam. 

33 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

To be fair. Blackmagic body, ergos, color science, codec + Panny battery. 

The funny thing is, the battery can be resolved externally, but none of that other stuff can. 

First time I've heard anyone choose BM body/ergos over Panny body/ergos. 

21 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The non tilt screen is never an issue? 

Sincerely not. Very interesting angle viewing design. This camera is terrific, its design no less : )

I find people focus funny, not exactly your case once I've already checked your skilled framing abilities, but most part of people not necessarily here but everywhere stinks on theirs but complain about tilt screens... LOL C'mon : -)

4 hours ago, kye said:

I do this *all* the time. It is such a hassle to set up everything that I leave my P4Ks rigged up (mostly) and transport them that way. I take off the external monitor (if I am using one) when I travel, but leave the cage, rails, battery, follow focus, etc. I have the HDMI / USB-C clamps in place, so I also usually leave the SSD attached.

If you want to go with a smaller / lighter setup, skip the v-mount battery with rails and use one of the Sony NP battery sleds. I attached them to the cage top handle. A 970 gives me 2+ hours of run time (iirc). The NP battery sleds that I use have an LED that turns red when the battery gets low, so you have some indication before the external battery dies. Since I use the 12 connector, I also have the internal battery as a safety backup.

23 hours ago, JordanWright said:

I much prefer the BM body and ergonomics over the GH5. I can't go back to a 3inch monitor or a non-BM OS. However I will take the GH5 battery life!

i am learning to like it. i like the layout or ergonomics. Not sure how it would work in a different format. i occasionally hit the wrong button on top when going for iso or shutter but  a bit more time on it and it will be second nature. The screen is a good size and apart from not swiveling and some issues in the sun i like it. I would have paid another $100 for a swivel screen, maybe they'll do a mark two ?  and the os is very easy to use, i cant compare it to any other video camera as this is my first video camera but honestly i cant see how they could make it any simpler. 

I used the P4Ks all day yesterday at a shoot where I was regularly going from outside in direct sunlight, to shady areas, then to indoor areas with varying light. If you plan to use the P4K in a quickly moving shoot, I **strongly** encourage you to mount an external daylight-viewable monitor to your P4K.

The screen on the P4K works great, unless you are in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it is basically unusable. I mounted my SmallHD 5" monitor on top to help, but even that wasn't really bright enough. I could have used one of my 7" Ninja Infernos, but they are kinda big when going handheld. I prefer a 5" monitor unless I am on a tripod. I think that I am going to buy the 2200nit Feelworld monitor and try it, just for kicks (it is a 7", but it is light). I could pick up the Atomos Shinobi, but I need HDMI in and out.

So, for all of you planning to use the P4K in sunlight, you will have to find shade regularly to review your shots, or pick up a bright external monitor. Happy shooting!

2 hours ago, drm said:

I used the P4Ks all day yesterday at a shoot where I was regularly going from outside in direct sunlight, to shady areas, then to indoor areas with varying light. If you plan to use the P4K in a quickly moving shoot, I **strongly** encourage you to mount an external daylight-viewable monitor to your P4K.

The screen on the P4K works great, unless you are in direct sunlight. In direct sunlight, it is basically unusable. I mounted my SmallHD 5" monitor on top to help, but even that wasn't really bright enough. I could have used one of my 7" Ninja Infernos, but they are kinda big when going handheld. I prefer a 5" monitor unless I am on a tripod. I think that I am going to buy the 2200nit Feelworld monitor and try it, just for kicks (it is a 7", but it is light). I could pick up the Atomos Shinobi, but I need HDMI in and out.

So, for all of you planning to use the P4K in sunlight, you will have to find shade regularly to review your shots, or pick up a bright external monitor. Happy shooting!

So are you gonna part with your Ninja Inferno? I had mine for quite some time and been thinking of selling it since I'm using it less and less ever since I switched to music vids / events / run  & gun type of video coverage

I doubt they'll make a Pocket V2 (v3), and if they do, it won't be anytime soon. Plenty of people are still waiting for the current model, and if I was one of those people, I'd be really annoyed if they announced a new version while I'm still waiting on my order. If they did make a new version, they should definitely change the battery type before any other modifications. Oh and also add tilting screen, IBIS, VF, DPAF, full size XLR and a FF sensor. There's no other way to make good films without those things.

53 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I doubt they'll make a Pocket V2 (v3), and if they do, it won't be anytime soon. Plenty of people are still waiting for the current model, and if I was one of those people, I'd be really annoyed if they announced a new version while I'm still waiting on my order. If they did make a new version, they should definitely change the battery type before any other modifications. Oh and also add tilting screen, IBIS, VF, DPAF, full size XLR and a FF sensor. There's no other way to make good films without those things.

You forgot talent.