Yurolov

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Yeah it was nice to have. I bought mine way too early and there wasnt enough support (cages, small monitors, port add ons) to put together a useful rig for my style of shooting. Otherwise, I really loved the camera and could find a use for it again. With that being said, I’m unsure how much I would use the 60p and I wonder if the OG Pocket and a loupe would make more sense... it would definitely be the cheapest way to shoot ProRes LT.

And then Z-Cam is supposed to release their E2C model pretty soon for $799 which will offer 4K ProRes up to 30p and 1080 up to 60p. I think with a possible Raw update in the future.

A lot of choices. Haha. 

Yeah the OG pocket is nice. I love the grip on it. But I have mine all rigged up so that its small size is no longer and advantage. 
JMSjfCP.jpg?2

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

For me right now though the Ursa Mini 4.6k seems like a great deal. Just saw one for $2500 on ebay. Quite expensive compared to a BMPCC but crazy cheap for what kind of cameras it can compete with. 

We have an Ursa Mini Pro at work and just shot a big project with both that cam and the Pocket4k both maxed out and, yes, in certain scenes the DR advantage can be seen, but for the most part they look very similar. So much so, that to most, no one could tell the difference. I guess it depends on what you're shooting.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah it was nice to have. I bought mine way too early and there wasnt enough support (cages, small monitors, port add ons) to put together a useful rig for my style of shooting. Otherwise, I really loved the camera and could find a use for it again. With that being said, I’m unsure how much I would use the 60p and I wonder if the OG Pocket and a loupe would make more sense... it would definitely be the cheapest way to shoot ProRes LT.

And then Z-Cam is supposed to release their E2C model pretty soon for $799 which will offer 4K ProRes up to 30p and 1080 up to 60p. I think with a possible Raw update in the future.

A lot of choices. Haha. 

I have both the OG pocket and the Micro. Not sure I should keep both, but I too love the image. Even when we were shooting a lot of projects with the FS7 I thought the Micro blew it out of the water. Just a beautiful image.

I'm not sure if anyone's pointed it out, but last month Viltrox updated their EF-M2II to version 3.3 to specifically work with the P4K - I've not tested myself yet, but I read that aperture control and IS are both now working.

EF-M1/EF-M2II Version 3.3
Updated Date: 2019-03-21

Update as follows:
1. Fixed the BUG which cannot control the aperture in BMPCC 4K. 

Direct link to download: http://www.viltrox.com//en/uploads/20190321/1553151267107312.zip

Direct link to download page: http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=content&cid=119

15 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

We have an Ursa Mini Pro at work and just shot a big project with both that cam and the Pocket4k both maxed out and, yes, in certain scenes the DR advantage can be seen, but for the most part they look very similar. So much so, that to most, no one could tell the difference. I guess it depends on what you're shooting.

I have both the OG pocket and the Micro. Not sure I should keep both, but I too love the image. Even when we were shooting a lot of projects with the FS7 I thought the Micro blew it out of the water. Just a beautiful image.

Interesting, how do you compare the Ursa 4.6k image to the micro and OG pocket?

4 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Interesting, how do you compare the Ursa 4.6k image to the micro and OG pocket?

They are dramatically different. I think resolution goes a long way in how an image appears to us, for sure. I see points for both. It's been said over and over how great those little cameras are, and it's all truth.There's something about them. (OG and Micro) With Ursa you get so many options though. Same with Pocket4k, but they look like the same camera in a lot of ways when reviewing the footage to me.

20 minutes ago, graphicnatured said:

They are dramatically different. I think resolution goes a long way in how an image appears to us, for sure. I see points for both. It's been said over and over how great those little cameras are, and it's all truth.There's something about them. (OG and Micro) With Ursa you get so many options though. Same with Pocket4k, but they look like the same camera in a lot of ways when reviewing the footage to me.

I wonder if the original ursa mini 4k is more similar to the OG Pocket and Micro 

Having several times bmpcc and micro (and now micro again with modular variants of rig), I must admit that their look is not at all identical. Being it result of different processing, slight changes on circuit or color science (or my ilusion) - but  micro has to me much more balanced image regarding direction to cleaner-modern look, while keeping mellow smoothness usually connect with classic movies. (I used UMP4.6 just one time, have some impression about it, but nothing enough founded for competent commenting beside watched shots from others.)

A much bit of forgiveness on that 2:42-2:45 flickering and you'll have a decent sample of potential range for such this new device low-light-performance/codec/color-wise... Let alone the price segment ; ) No other brand offers anything even close : X It is what it is : -)

36 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

A much bit of forgiveness on that 2:42-2:45 flickering and you'll have a decent sample of potential range for such this new device low-light-performance/codec/color-wise... Let alone the price segment ; ) No other brand offers anything even close : X It is what it is : -)

Some great shots and an interesting edit. But I despise that heavy teal/orange grade.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I see that it has done a lot of work, cut is amazing. But filmed it was what ? Fuji? A7III ? GH5 ? A7SII ? BMPC4C ? I still see the same image I don't like ..sorry. 

I am still waiting for something from the BMPCC 4K camera that will fascinate me in the picture ... and yet it doesn't come but it should be on time. 

On the contrary, I find more and more amazing stuff from old BMPCC and BMMCC. (Of course, a lot of waste ). 

I like your RX100 videos the most! the little beast RX100 is also interesting ... 

If I traveled like you, I'd rather have a RX100 in my pocket if BMPCC4K + Sigma 18-35 🙂

18 minutes ago, tonysss said:

I see that it has done a lot of work, cut is amazing. But filmed it was what ? Fuji? A7III ? GH5 ? A7SII ? BMPC4C ? I still see the same image I don't like ..sorry. 

I am still waiting for something from the BMPCC 4K camera that will fascinate me in the picture ... and yet it doesn't come but it should be on time. 

On the contrary, I find more and more amazing stuff from old BMPCC and BMMCC. (Of course, a lot of waste ). 

I agree. This video looks really DSLR-like. Probably shot using strong internal processing (Braw or ProRes) and bad color grading in the limited V4 colorspace as well.
But using cDNG and using the right colorspace this camera is actually really cinematic.

1 minute ago, deezid said:

I agree. This video looks really DSLR-like. Probably shot using strong internal processing (Braw or ProRes) and bad color grading as well.
But using cDNG and using the right colorspace this camera is actually really cinematic. 

I dare to disagree with humility, I have absolutely no difference in the image if I shoot Prores or DNG on my BM cameras. The possibility of editing DNG in post is excellent. but the image is still the same!

12 minutes ago, tonysss said:

I dare to disagree with humility, I have absolutely no difference in the image if I shoot Prores or DNG on my BM cameras. The possibility of editing DNG in post is excellent. but the image is still the same!

It isn't.
With Braw and ProRes you get strong sharpening and NR (known as the DSLR look), with cDNG there isn't any - when sharpening set to 0 in Resolve.
With Colorspace V4 you get weird lifeless greens and clipped reds which cannot be recovered. With Red IPP2 or ACES (after pulling back) you get perfect reds and greens.

Small test I made using new Rokinon lenses and cDNG inside Red IPP2 last week - download in 4K
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RRTci4cyRqRsN7vNH1EMEKV1N89AXY9p

15 minutes ago, deezid said:

It isn't.
With Braw and ProRes you get strong sharpening and NR (known as the DSLR look), with cDNG there isn't any - when sharpening set to 0 in Resolve.
With Colorspace V4 you get weird lifeless greens and clipped reds which cannot be recovered. With Red IPP2 or ACES (after pulling back) you get perfect reds and greens.

in older BMs it is not so if it is new BMPCC4K so it is bad. (Colorspace V4) I like old BMs ProresHQ
I borrowed it (BMPCC4K) and I didn't see any fundamental difference between DNG and Proores. But I did some tests and I returned her I didn't like a bunch of things.

Thank you for your opinions and findings

1 minute ago, tonysss said:

in older BMs it is not so if it is new BMPCC4K so it is bad. (Colorspace V4) I like old BMs ProresHQ
I borrowed it (BMPCC4K) and I didn't see any fundamental difference between DNG and Proores. But I did some tests and I returned her I didn't like a bunch of things.

The old ProRes output didn't have any of these new issues. 
To bypass these newly introduced issues by the heavy internal processing you need to shoot cDNG and work in a better colorspace such as ACES or IPP2.

24 minutes ago, deezid said:

It isn't.

Small test I made using new Rokinon lenses and cDNG inside Red IPP2 last week - download in 4K
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1RRTci4cyRqRsN7vNH1EMEKV1N89AXY9p

I'm still waiting to see the evidence of this 'strong sharpening and NR'. What exactly is your clip showing?