Jump to content

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K


Yurolov
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Phantom Power update - The issue is gone. Magic... Blackmagic?

I have the BMD mini xlr and a NTG 2. Been working for 2 weeks straight so no chance to check. I also have 2 pocket4k now so will try both at home tonight and see if you just had a fluke moment when it happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Phantom Power update - The issue is gone. Magic... Blackmagic?

The brand label is not the best... I'd have called it White Magic or Light Magic instead. Presumptuous option IMHO. The only darkness I buy is that one from where light pops us : -)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

The brand label is not the best... I'd have called it White Magic or Light Magic instead. Presumptuous option IMHO. The only darkness I buy is that one from where light pops us : -)

Blackmagic is Voodoo related. Super Magic. So I would think they got it right. Pretty magic for the price. All their stuff is a bargain for what you get.

And if they called it Whitemagic they would be all white equipment, and we would have to buy Man Purses and wear Man Buns LoL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What is that? Maybe I missed the point, but all of the liveview stuff you actually see on the phone is from Panasonic cameras. The P4K only has Bluetooth, no wifi, so wireless liveview is impossible without some kind of HDMI transmitter.

I kind of guess that was the point of the video, but by him showing only Panasonic's app and LCD screen - and not mentioning Panasonic - makes it feel like he's suggesting he's created a BMD app to allow liveview... which he can't do for the P4K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I can't for the life of me understand why cameras, pretty damn expensive ones, are so damn behind Smartphones for tech that it is crazy. Jesus it's like they are stuck in the year 2000?? It can't be a space issue, Christ most phones now are paper thin. And they new Apple ones you can get 512gb memory in them. Probably more than the buffer on most of these damn cameras have.

I saw a review of the Nikon Z6, and hell it was bumping up on the buffer in Photo Mode all the time. WTF?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

What is that? Maybe I missed the point, but all of the liveview stuff you actually see on the phone is from Panasonic cameras. The P4K only has Bluetooth, no wifi, so wireless liveview is impossible without some kind of HDMI transmitter.

I kind of guess that was the point of the video, but by him showing only Panasonic's app and LCD screen - and not mentioning Panasonic - makes it feel like he's suggesting he's created a BMD app to allow liveview... which he can't do for the P4K.

It was more me being sad that such an app doesn't exist. Instead of just moping around I put together a video of how I use the Panasonic App. Maybe someone in the loop will see that and decide it's a feature worthy of being in future cameras. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mckinise said:

It was more me being sad that such an app doesn't exist. Instead of just moping around I put together a video of how I use the Panasonic App. Maybe someone in the loop will see that and decide it's a feature worthy of being in future cameras. 

Other than that how do you like the camera??

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Other than that how do you like the camera??

I like the user interface and how easy it is to find and select the settings you want to use. I really like the image and the motion from the camera. There seems to be less ghosting in 24 fps than I was getting with my GH5.  For me, it is easier to get the image I want in camera as long as I am not in the scene. 

I was getting about 40 minutes per battery. 5 batteries got me through a Quinceanera gig, but I was sweating toward the end.  One battery left with about 70%. 

Storage was a challenge. I started with ProRes HQ and ended the day in ProRes 422 and ProRes LT. 

The lack of a remote live view was only an issue because my friends and I had a horror movie contest for Halloween. The rules were:

One person had to do everything. There could be no help. We had to write it, shoot it, act in it, edit it, and put it online. The challenge was getting the footage I needed in a timely fashion.  I shot my video the morning of the deadline, put it together, and uploaded on time. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I can't for the life of me understand why cameras, pretty damn expensive ones, are so damn behind Smartphones for tech that it is crazy. Jesus it's like they are stuck in the year 2000?? It can't be a space issue, Christ most phones now are paper thin. And they new Apple ones you can get 512gb memory in them. Probably more than the buffer on most of these damn cameras have.

I saw a review of the Nikon Z6, and hell it was bumping up on the buffer in Photo Mode all the time. WTF?

Bit rate could be an explanation. I'd bet more on larger sensor heating with no absolute clue on engineering, though : -) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Mckinise said:

I like the user interface and how easy it is to find and select the settings you want to use. I really like the image and the motion from the camera. There seems to be less ghosting in 24 fps than I was getting with my GH5.  For me, it is easier to get the image I want in camera as long as I am not in the scene. 

I was getting about 40 minutes per battery. 5 batteries got me through a Quinceanera gig, but I was sweating toward the end.  One battery left with about 70%. 

Storage was a challenge. I started with ProRes HQ and ended the day in ProRes 422 and ProRes LT. 

The lack of a remote live view was only an issue because my friends and I had a horror movie contest for Halloween. The rules were:

One person had to do everything. There could be no help. We had to write it, shoot it, act in it, edit it, and put it online. The challenge was getting the footage I needed in a timely fashion.  I shot my video the morning of the deadline, put it together, and uploaded on time. 

 

 

I can see a battery pack and a SSD in your future LoL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paul Leeming (DP and LUT creator) has been enjoying his first outings (well, tests) with the camera.  This from Facebook:
 

Quote

I have to say the 12 bit RAW footage is SO much nicer to deal with in post than 10bit 4:2:2 ? The cleanliness and separation of colours is lovely and they really pop, without any artifacting or colour bleed. This camera is simply stunning for the price! So far I've only been doing technical tests, in order to characterise the sensor. I will try to do some more beauty and artistic shots over the next few days to really see how it handles in a narrative sense, but I am pretty sure that it's going to look incredible judging by the tech tests!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great news! I used his LUT for the LS300 a lot for quick turnaround grades. 

I have no idea how the science of colour reproduction works, but I image a LUT on a RAW file will come out a little differently than the same shot in ProRes. I wonder then, if he'll make one that works for RAW, ProRes and Braw - or if he'll release 3 different ones...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...