Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think they match like amazingly well just using different types of curves. Pushed ISO on both by one stop to open shadows.
Took me 5 minutes.
The Pocket 4K has better DR shadows and way more detail
The Pocket HD has better DR in highlights and a slight green tint, but everything is in focus.

pocket.jpg

pocket4k.jpg

• Super Members
5 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Nice idea, good for some uses

It is a nice idea but a couple of points....

I would be wary of putting anything that close to the exhaust vent on the front of the camera.

In the video they describe leaving it on for 3 hours without it getting too hot but I suspect that didn't involve having the camera in record.

The second point is that it for people who do want to go V mount then it actually has quite a low capacity (49Wh).

The KYTD BP-90, for example is 190Wh and £160 on Amazon.

For another £90 you can then use a rail mounted V mount kit like this one which adds all of those additional ports (and actually includes the correct dummy battery for the Pocket 4K !).

614C6KD8iiL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.85a0a76f3e1c2a21eb4149715831f77a.jpg

The total cost will be more than the Core SWX Powerbase but it will be far more flexible in terms of how and where you mount it (horizontal or vertical) so you can keep it away from the exhaust, will let you swap out to different V mounts (or even run it using the £20 Sony F to V mount adapter plates) and will offer almost four times the capacity.

That extra capacity can't be underestimated as it might not just be the camera you might be powering off the battery (powering an EVF/External recorder off the Dtap for example) so it means you'll also be able to run a system as a whole for far, far longer.

24 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Not a comparison but you can play with these two from the P4K

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.46.02 AM.png

A002_10211433_C010_000012.dng

Screen Shot 2018-10-29 at 10.43.44 AM.png

A002_10211433_C009_000030.dng

the highlight recovery in these shots seem pretty great but deezid claims that the DR in the highlights are worse on the pocket 4K. Does this only mean that you can blow out the highlights further in the OG pocket and still retain clean data? We're not talking about highlight roll off are we? If i am able to recover a blown out shot like the one you are presenting here with the 4K, I'd be pretty happy. I'm more concerned with the roll-off.

22 minutes ago, grex said:

the highlight recovery in these shots seem pretty great but deezid claims that the DR in the highlights are worse on the pocket 4K. Does this only mean that you can blow out the highlights further in the OG pocket and still retain clean data? We're not talking about highlight roll off are we? If i am able to recover a blown out shot like the one you are presenting here with the 4K, I'd be pretty happy. I'm more concerned with the roll-off.

Take it for what it's worth, but I find the performance of the two cameras nearly identical in the highlights, after grading -- meaning the same amount of data is preserved in both cases.   At least, this is the case with limited testing. 

The shots above are not actually "blown out", so there's nothing to recover.  It's just that the highlights are mapped into the super-white regions in the debayered .dng.  But the data is intact, it just has to be brought down.  You'll see the same thing on the original Pocket.

After using the camera for the first time professionally today, I've made myself a LUT - I've done this before with Atomos products and it's all fine, but for some reason I can't seem to import it into the camera.

I've put other LUTs on fine. In fact I can have my LUT and a 3rd party LUT on the same card, instal the 3rd party LUT but not my own within 3 seconds of each other.

I've saved my LUT as .cube, like the others I've used, and even saved it in different ways. First just with the burger menu in Lumetri, then using Red Giant's LUT Buddy.

Does anyone know what might be the problem? If someone could test it on their camera too that would be amazing!

You can download it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3bgxtfd63ryu37z/Custom_Made.cube?dl=0

EDIT: I only have 1 custom LUT installed while trying this, so the problem isn't that I've filled up the allotted (alLUTted) space

Can P4K export picture with LUT by HDMI on the external monitor?

Got email from HOTROD:
"Thank you for your continued patience while the Blackmagic Pocket 4K cameras slowly trickle in to us.  The original shipments we were receiving were only single cameras.  We have just begun receiving 2 to 3 cameras a week.  We are hopeful that production will begin to ramp up soon and we will be able to deliver cameras more quickly, but we don't have any solid information on if and when that will happen". 

2 hours ago, helium said:

The shots above are not actually "blown out", so there's nothing to recover.  It's just that the highlights are mapped into the super-white regions in the debayered .dng.  But the data is intact, it just has to be brought down.  You'll see the same thing on the original Pocket.

exactly , these firts shots are just DNGs without metadata. Once you blow out the lights in the camera, there's no way back. (Zebra 100%)

6 hours ago, Slothorp said:

Good luck with the noise with the old BMPCC, once graded. 

provided DNG BMPCC was underexposed! And ,yes BMPCC has more noise in the shadows, but with the right exposure it is far better.

P.S. .....do not take it wrong, someone has to keep up with the great enthusiasm of BMP4K ?

The Pocket 2K was exposed to the right, not underexposed at all. 
The Pocket 4K was slightly overexposed, some slight clipping.

The Pocket 4K is way cleaner in the shadows but I guess once properly exposed the dynamic range between these two is pretty much the same but you'll get a cleaner image with way less moire and aliasing on the new Pocket.

30 minutes ago, tonysss said:

exactly , these firts shots are just DNGs without metadata. Once you blow out the lights in the camera, there's no way back. (Zebra 100%)

provided DNG BMPCC was underexposed! And ,yes BMPCC has more noise in the shadows, but with the right exposure it is far better.

P.S. .....do not take it wrong, someone has to keep up with the great enthusiasm of BMP4K ?

1 minute ago, Álex Montoya said:

So the Pocket 4K fares 11.6 stops by Cinema 5D's strict methodology, almost half a stop more than the old Pocket. That's pretty awesome.

Didn't expect that.. Yes, the shadows on the Pocket 4K are way cleaner (almost no FPN either) but it seems to clip earlier as well.
So basically if you're doing ETTR you can't go wrong and make use of some great DR actually, just brighten up the shadows in post.

4 minutes ago, deezid said:

Didn't expect that.. Yes, the shadows on the Pocket 4K are way cleaner (almost no FPN either) but it seems to clip earlier as well.
So basically if you're doing ETTR you can't go wrong and make use of some great DR actually, just brighten up the shadows in post.

I'd say that's the way to go with this camera, yes.