Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Álex Montoya said:

The Original Pocket was great for mimicking S16. I did this some years ago in El Salvador.

That looks great ! 

Will be interesting to see someone try this sort of film look on the new camera, so far nothing looks close to this.

Can you tell a bit about the gear used? Rig,lenses?

10 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

I've shot with the Red Epic, The Ursa Mini Pro among other cameras that have massive holes in the top. The Epic even has a huge noisy fan in the front that also use to suck all sorts of crap into it, didn't stop me using it in all sorts of conditions.

Ive never heard a good DP complain that the Red Epic, Red Helium, Arri Alexa, Sony F55 are not full frame. I've put the Metabones XL speedbooster on my pocket4K  and super happy with the look.

Where you over Super 35 happy with the look? ?

6 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

The Pocket4K is definitely getting it according to BMD and they said they had BRAW in mind when designing the Pocket4K so internally, everything should be in place. While I've held the opinion that most people don't need RAW (10bit is fine for most),  once it is implemented, there will be little reason not to shoot RAW as long as it works as advertised with low data rates and flexibility in post.

Considering the crazy the low price of the Pocket4K, and the fact that I'm not relying on it as my main camera for work, I was happy to be an early adopter. The fact that I was also wanting to switch to Resolve Studio for the little editing and grading I do meant that it was a bit of a no brainer. 

10bit log is more than fine when it is accompanied with enough bandwidth - The 150mbit from gh5 wasn't enough. The 400mbit codec upgrade helped ( But the bare minimum at 4K with h264)
And it is already a really big step up in these small cameras - Awesome that Fuji has made the jump.
But when you can shoot BRAW 12:1 at roughly 400mbit why shoot prores? or h264/h265 for that matter (given you have the option available in camera)
Time will tell how it performs in the workflow. Hopefully Adobe and Apple implements support for it fast in PP, AE and FCPX.

For anyone that's interested, I just plugged my Tentacle Sync E into the mic/TC input of the Pocket4K using a regular male to male stereo minijack cable and the Pocket4K took the timecode no worries. The Pocket4k auto detects the external TC and you get a little EXT TC icon showing you that its synced externally. Nice!

Another good reason to use it as a B Cam over a mirrorless. Despite Plural Eyes (and similar solutions), editors still sigh when they are on set and find out that the B Camera doesn't have TC.

BEST NEWS I HAVE HEARD ALL DAY

9 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

For me, the design of the Pocket4K is not ideal, but then neither is any camera under $2000. I'd love the design to be more like the FS5 or Canon XC15. I'd be happy to pay $1000 or so more for a  Pocket4K Pro or Ursa Micro that could take a larger Sony BPU battery and had a tiltable screen.

Just throw in built in ND filters and I'd be happy! But yes, Sony BP-U compatibility would be super cool seeing as I run so many things on them

3 hours ago, Álex Montoya said:

The Original Pocket was great for mimicking S16. I did this some years ago in El Salvador.

The original pocket looks great, as you say, but it's a very particular look. To me it seems to come pre-graded for a very particular (and quite pleasing) look, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your perspective.

I see lots of Teal and brown in these shots. Similar to the original PCC.

Nice look, but it's a "look." The camera has great colours though, from what I can see, and the South Korean bubblegum pop vids show that it can do a bigger range of looks, all the while looking sharp, crisp, evenly colour saturated, with high dynamic range, and good motion cadence. I'm really impressed in this camera already.

I love the way people think BM have changed - it took them a year of Firmware updates till they finally left the OG Pocket alone & it got to stores at about the same pace this one.

No need to worry, the camera will get to you in the end & the longer you wait, the better - as they'll listen to the beta testers & solve loads of issues before you actually have it in your hands.

Still gonna wait for the Half Price Fire Sale that'll come next year - you just know they'll do it again!

17 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I love the way people think BM have changed - it took them a year of Firmware updates till they finally left the OG Pocket alone & it got to stores at about the same pace this one.

No need to worry, the camera will get to you in the end & the longer you wait, the better - as they'll listen to the beta testers & solve loads of issues before you actually have it in your hands.

Still gonna wait for the Half Price Fire Sale that'll come next year - you just know they'll do it again!

I would not hold my breath for that half price sale. If it does, im buying 3 pocket 4K's. 

2 hours ago, AlexTrinder96 said:

Philip Bloom has received the pocket cam from PROAV TV 

Looking forward to seeing what he can do with the cam

Screenshot_20181004-105646.jpg

I'm betting he'll use it to beat the crap out of his girlfriend.

32 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

If you can wait a year before getting it, then you don't need it.

15 minutes ago, spinkscapes said:

Just received my Pocket 4K, incidentally the day following receiving my XT-3.

Got a wedding to shoot on Saturday so good timing.

20181004_224842.jpg

Awesome, I'm sure we will all be curious to hear how your experience goes when comparing both cameras. And as they are priced similarly, perhaps you can also share your thought on build, durability etc... ?