Canon Cinema EOS C70 - Ah that explains it then!

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've been a Canon junkie, but went to church every Sun­day morn­ing. I'd lis­ten to what the priest had to say, then to B&H to score. That seemed right: some­thing good bal­anced by some­thing bad. A woman I knew told me that I was doing some­thing dan­ger­ous and po­ten­tially life haz­ardous.  I then had to promise to never go to church again.

Am I wrong to say that that camera looks fantastic? As much as I dislike Canon right now that body is what dreams are made of. I can only imagine the codecs, AF, colors, and gimbal shots possible with that camera, and I doubt it would be $6K, it will have to cost less than the C200 so I'm thinking it will be around $3K but after lenses you might as well say it will be $6k.

Probably no internal ND filters and maybe no XLR audio, no 4K120FPS,  typical Canon cripple hammer style.

13 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Am I wrong to say that that camera looks fantastic? As much as I dislike Canon right now that body is what dreams are made of. I can only imagine the codecs, AF, colors, and gimbal shots possible with that camera, and I doubt it would be $6K, it will have to cost less than the C200 so I'm thinking it will be around $3K but after lenses you might as well say it will be $6k.

Probably no internal ND filters and maybe no XLR audio, no 4K120FPS,  typical Canon cripple hammer style.

The picture is said to be the actual camera and shows internal ND control buttons. They definitely wont allow it to hinder the possible c200 update, c300 mkiii or c500 mkii. 

7 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

The picture is said to be the actual camera and shows internal ND control buttons. They definitely wont allow it to hinder the possible c200 update, c300 mkiii or c500 mkii. 

Yes I see them now, maybe it's only a 2 and 4 stop ND filter, I just can't imagine how they will cripple it, I've learned though thanks to the R5 and R6 fiasco; never underestimate Canon's cripple hammer creativity.

2 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

They'll give you 4k 10 bit line skipped/pixel binned mush but the 4k 8 bit will have high bit rates and also 16k RAW!

Get your stacks of 15 TB drives and your A.I. editing workflow with unlimited teraflops ready to add at least 3 layers of color correction and titles!

I'll bet Canon wishes they could only offer 1080P and get away with it. I think they won't offer RAW, probably no CLOG3, no XLR, no more than a 4 stop ND filter, definitely no IBIS, oh and it will overheat but only if it detects that you haven't yet purchased a Cinema camera. With the purchase of each cinema camera you'll get an unlock code for the CLOG3 and removal of the overheating timer in the C70.

8 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

Yes I see them now, maybe it's only a 2 and 4 stop ND filter, I just can't imagine how they will cripple it, I've learned though thanks to the R5 and R6 fiasco; never underestimate Canon's cripple hammer creativity.

I'll bet Canon wishes they could only offer 1080P and get away with it. I think they won't offer RAW, probably no CLOG3, no XLR, no more than a 4 stop ND filter, definitely no IBIS, oh and it will overheat but only if it detects that you haven't yet purchased a Cinema camera. With the purchase of each cinema camera you'll get an unlock code for the CLOG3 and removal of the overheating timer in the C70.

Super 35mm 4K DGO sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III)
No IBIS
RF Mount
Internal ND (10 Stops)
CLog 2 & CLog 3
4:2:2 10bit onto SD cards up to 4K120 and 2K180
No RAW capability internally at launch
BP-A batteries
Price: $6299 USD

Supposedly these are the leaked specs making the rounds on the internet.

$6299 for 10 bit 4K 120 and Canon colors or $3500 for 10 bit 4K 120 and zombie skintones you gotta fiddle around with masks and cc for hours everytime there's a face in the frame.

5 minutes ago, Hanriverprod said:

Super 35mm 4K DGO sensor (same as the Cinema EOS C300 Mark III)
No IBIS
RF Mount
Internal ND (10 Stops)
CLog 2 & CLog 3
4:2:2 10bit onto SD cards up to 4K120 and 2K180
No RAW capability internally at launch
BP-A batteries
Price: $6299 USD

Supposedly these are the leaked specs making the rounds on the internet.

$6299 for 10 bit 4K 120 and Canon colors or $3500 for 10 bit 4K 120 and zombie skintones you gotta fiddle around with masks and cc for hours everytime there's a face in the frame.

Wow, $6299...no wonder why the specs are so good, this thing is specd and priced above the C200, I did not expect that.  Well that explains the lack of a cripple hammer then. They want you to pay A cam prices for a B cam form factor. On top of that you would have to buy RF lenses to get the most out of it.  I bet it also has backup video recording to both SD cards, and for that price it definitely has XLR audio as well. I'm so tired of Canon's games, if I had to buy a video camera right this instant I would get the Panasonic S5.

2 hours ago, Hanriverprod said:

Or $3500 with C200 sensor in the similar body as C70.

• Super Members
7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

No wonder they didn't want the EOS R5 to go the extra mile.

They had this to flog us.

Who's got a spare $6K?

So....considering how they did a cripple number on the $5K mirrorless to protect their cinema line it does beg the question what they will have done to an actual cinema camera at $6K to protect the ones above it.

They might well surprise us but I'm guessing most people will be quietly humming this waiting for the answer to that as the press conference unfolds.

59 minutes ago, Django said:

The form factor and model number would suggest a price point and segment under the C200, which surely has a mark 2 coming soon. 

This is basically the super long awaited C100 mk3.

Canon Rumors thinks it's the 10 bit 4:2:2 camera priced at $6,299.

There's another rumoured RF cine cam priced at $3,499 with C200 specs minus RAW and with only SD slots.

9 minutes ago, plucas said:

Canon Rumors thinks it's the 10 bit 4:2:2 camera priced at $6,299.

There's another rumoured RF cine cam priced at $3,499 with C200 specs minus RAW and with only SD slots.

I have zero doubt it is going to be 10-bit 4:2:2 as even the $2500 R6 has such codec. The pricing however does appear a tad steep for an entry level cine cam although Canon C line has never been cheap..

19 minutes ago, Django said:

I have zero doubt it is going to be 10-bit 4:2:2 as even the $2500 R6 has such codec. The pricing however does appear a tad steep for an entry level cine cam although Canon C line has never been cheap..

Unfortunately yes, regarding the price of the C line.

The C300iii goes for $11,000; this C70 reportedly sports the same DGO sensor, is 10 bit 4:2:2, and shares a number of other C300 features (besides RAW). They won't drop it below $6,299.