Jump to content

Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place


Recommended Posts

image.thumb.png.900660000e9a57ddd69547480909f837.png

Looks like a really good design that's more than a fan.   I would suspect that they had a heads up on Canon's heating issue and had time to design this the right way.

QUESTION:  Now is this a better cooling system design then what the S1H has built internally?

I will guess this takes away all heating issues with the R5.  Fan noise might be the same as the S1H also.

 

I'm not an expert but all the negative and exhausting testing reviews about overheating should eliminate any class action lawsuits.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have two propositions for their new logo.. 😎  

I suspect that in the entire history of cameras, there has never been as much hype, followed by pre-orders, followed by hysteria, followed by cancelled pre-orders...before a camera has actually gone o

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

image.thumb.png.900660000e9a57ddd69547480909f837.png

Looks like a really good design that's more than a fan.   I would suspect that they had a heads up on Canon's heating issue and had time to design this the right way.

QUESTION:  Now is this a better cooling system design then what the S1H has built internally?

I will guess this takes away all heating issues with the R5.  Fan noise might be the same as the S1H also.

 

I'm not an expert but all the negative and exhausting testing reviews about overheating should eliminate any class action lawsuits.

 

Nah it is just a peltier system I think.      Just like in the little cooler I posted about.     They DO work but not THAT well for cooling things like food/drinks INSIDE them so i would expect they would work less effectively for trying to cool a sealed black box on the outside.

They usually can warm food too as they can be reversed.     

I have gone for periods using a thermo electric cooler as my "fridge".     Unlike a fridge they have to be on all the time to work properly so they are not anywhere near as efficient as a proper compressor fridge though use little electricity.

They also do not get as cold as a proper fridge but can still cool down a reasonable amount below ambient temperature.

I was also experimenting using one with 12 volt solar panels directly (no battery) and it seemed ok.

I think as far as this goes, you would be MUCH MUCH better off buying a 12 volt thermo electric cooler to put it in between uses and likely be much cheaper (or even better though much dearer still a 12 volt camping compressor fridge).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Django said:

So A7S3 specs have leaked and plot twist: it will also overheat and has a thermal cutoff..

" One focus of the camera is video recording. Unlike Canon with the EOS R5, Sony does not use 8K for video, but continues to use 4K, which is said to achieve the best results so far with an alpha camera. The sensor’s 12 MP resolution enables a full-pixel readout without pixel binning and without crop up to 4K / 60p. In this setting, the recording limit should be one hour without overheatingthe EOS R5 only manages 30 minutes at 4K / 60p. The video recording of the Alpha 7S III in 4K / 120p mode is limited to this length – by the way, a slight crop is used (1.1x).S "

i.e.

A7S3 FF no crop 4K60p is rated at 60mn & 4K120p = 30mn

Better on paper than R5 but how will it play out in real world situations? hopefully we get an answer tomorrow with the hands-on.

 

Sounds similar to the A6300. It needs to cool down within like 10 minutes though. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has changed or not but this is from Canon's website.  

Record times with recovery times. 

Look at the descriptions to the right.  

"8K productions where a full-frame mirrorless can be utilized to get unique angles alongside a main camera or additional cropping for 4K productions."

4K120fps "Shorter bursts of slow motion."

4K30P  "Interviews, longer duration capture such as weddings."

Working Temperature Range 32-104° F / 0-+40°C

Looks like they're covering their bases. 

canontime.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone seen footage of the fabled ASPC 5k oversampled from the R5?  Has anyone seen tests to determine if the camera overheats in that mode? Canon claims it doesn't (from the heat sheet above). 

The R5 may really be a $4k aspc camera that can occasionally do full frame.   Canonrumors claims that Canon will announce a speed booster in August for the R line. 

So if the camera has a decent non-overheating ASPC mode then this is like an R with IBIS and 10 bit that can stretch on occasion to higher modes (8k, 120 etc). With a speedbooster it can pretend to be a full frame camera.  

If that is worth it to you is an open question, but that might be a half hearted solution to this mess.   But the ASPC mode has to be good and not overheat for this theory to work.  I have not seen anything on this.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

But will it also overheat while taking pictures all day?
Imagine doing a wedding and taking like 10k pictures and using the camera for 12+ hours in the summer.
Can Canon guarantee me the camera will not overheat in photo mode? 
Looks to me like it might even stop working in photo mode when pushing it...

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Nautical said:

Has anyone seen footage of the fabled ASPC 5k oversampled from the R5?  Has anyone seen tests to determine if the camera overheats in that mode? Canon claims it doesn't (from the heat sheet above). 

The R5 may really be a $4k aspc camera that can occasionally do full frame.   Canonrumors claims that Canon will announce a speed booster in August for the R line. 

So if the camera has a decent non-overheating ASPC mode then this is like an R with IBIS and 10 bit that can stretch on occasion to higher modes (8k, 120 etc). With a speedbooster it can pretend to be a full frame camera.  

If that is worth it to you is an open question, but that might be a half hearted solution to this mess.   But the ASPC mode has to be good and not overheat for this theory to work.  I have not seen anything on this.   

Meant APSC-----long day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jpfilmz said:

That was the last straw. Pre order canceled and I'm sending all my cards back via amazon.  It's WAY too much liability.  This thing is nothing but an EOS R with packaged seppuku.

  

Yeah cancelled mine too and send cfexpress card back as well

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

But will it also overheat while taking pictures all day?
Imagine doing a wedding and taking like 10k pictures and using the camera for 12+ hours in the summer.
Can Canon guarantee me the camera will not overheat in photo mode? 
Looks to me like it might even stop working in photo mode when pushing it...

I doubt it.  

It should be fine (great even) as a stills photography camera.

Video, not so much other than if you can use it for the short periods it can safely record at higher quality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, noone said:

I doubt it.  

It should be fine (great even) as a stills photography camera.

Video, not so much other than if you can use it for the short periods it can safely record at higher quality.

Yeah, but why was the overheat signal coming on after 1 hour of photo - then switching to video?

I think its the IBIS like Ajay was saying.... can you turn it off??? Well.... I guess... we may have a dud here if we can't turn off IBIS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, mkabi said:

Yeah, but why was the overheat signal coming on after 1 hour of photo - then switching to video?

I think its the IBIS like Ajay was saying.... can you turn it off??? Well.... I guess... we may have a dud here if we can't turn off IBIS. 

Pretty sure they mean overheating for video (it says how long you have?).     After all you can record the lower quality without stopping so I can not imagine of you do not shoot video it would ever overheat just shooting stills.

We should know soon enough anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jpfilmz said:

That was the last straw. Pre order canceled and I'm sending all my cards back via amazon.  It's WAY too much liability.  This thing is nothing but an EOS R with packaged seppuku.

  1854385926_ScreenShot2020-07-28at12_50_33AM.thumb.jpg.a9ee33400956c06f0e938a535f870361.jpg

What is the new information on the video that triggered you to cancel? 15min 120fps is what canon says on their limits so not really surprising no? 

In addition canon did promise 120 at 1080 as firmware update but we don’t know if it overheats or not.

Having used 1Dx ii and now iii at 1080 120fps I take R5 4k 120fps with 15min limit any-day as the 1080 is really barely usable on the 1Dx

Still the R5 is a mess for video and no way I would use it as A Cam

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Administrators
9 hours ago, Mustafa Ali said:

I wonder if 4k HQ in the R5 be 5k oversampled like the R6 instead of 8k downsampled. Not sure if that is technically possible.. But if possible, maybe that might help with the heat ?

It's only possible in APS-C 1.6x crop mode. May as well get an EOS R for that, it's a lot cheaper than $4000.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gt3rs said:

What is the new information on the video that triggered you to cancel? 15min 120fps is what canon says on their limits so not really surprising no? 

In addition canon did promise 120 at 1080 as firmware update but we don’t know if it overheats or not.

Having used 1Dx ii and now iii at 1080 120fps I take R5 4k 120fps with 15min limit any-day as the 1080 is really barely usable on the 1Dx

Still the R5 is a mess for video and no way I would use it as A Cam

Just seeing more real world testing. Its just really absurd.  Um not paying $5k for a kit that overheats due to menu usage, stills taking and cripples my high res shooting options.  

Im outdoors shooting a soccer game wanting a mix of photos and videos.  If i snap for 45 mins then decide now let me grab some 8k raw or 4k 120 here and there for the remainder of the game and ransomware starts flashing telling me I only have 10 mins before detonation....thats USELESS to me. It then becomes an EOS R...granted with no crop...but still thats a poor user experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancelled my R5 preorder too and jumped over to the a7s3 right as it went live with B&H. I'll have a couple months to sort that one out since it doesn't ship until late Sept. The way the R5 prevents you from shooting anything other than line skipped video if the camera is hot - and the fact just shooting stills can trigger the thermal shutdown is just a deal breaker for me.

The a7s3 has about 1.5 stops better DR according to Undone (the potatojet EV lift compared to the OG EOS R, wow), sharper 60/120p along with 24p that's better than the R5's standard and just a smidge behind the HQ for detail, smaller file sizes, equally good AF (which works with external recorders), cheaper cards, nice looking color, much longer battery life, and so on. You would need at least 2 bodies to shoot all day with the R5 and if its hot you're stuck with no high frame rates or HQ, so if that's the case I'm fine with one of the other a7 bodies with the Z battery and the a7s3. I'd rather have the better DR and more detailed 60/120p.

Glad the s3 was announced today and not next Tuesday LOL!

Chris

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Cancelled my R5 preorder too and jumped over to the a7s3 right as it went live with B&H. I'll have a couple months to sort that one out since it doesn't ship until late Sept. The way the R5 prevents you from shooting anything other than line skipped video if the camera is hot - and the fact just shooting stills can trigger the thermal shutdown is just a deal breaker for me.

The a7s3 has about 1.5 stops better DR according to Undone (the potatojet EV lift compared to the OG EOS R, wow), sharper 60/120p along with 24p that's better than the R5's standard and just a smidge behind the HQ for detail, smaller file sizes, equally good AF (which works with external recorders), cheaper cards, nice looking color, much longer battery life, and so on. You would need at least 2 bodies to shoot all day with the R5 and if its hot you're stuck with no high frame rates or HQ, so if that's the case I'm fine with one of the other a7 bodies with the Z battery and the a7s3. I'd rather have the better DR and more detailed 60/120p.

Glad the s3 was announced today and not next Tuesday LOL!

Chris

DR should be tested with the clog3 update. But sony could still have more DR, as that is one area where they are ahead of the competition, so would be surprised if canon out of the blue came up with a new 8K sensor that trumps even sony's sensors. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...