Canon EOS R5 / R6 overheating discussion all in one place

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

The reason which he does not say in his video but I know is 422. HVEC is supported by latest hardware but not HVEC 422 so it’s like at the beginning of the HVEC codec when hardware acceleration was not supported. 
Your 15K computer cannot edit the footage, but within a year or 2 when computers support 10 bit 422 HVEC correctly a 1000$ laptop will edit it better than your MacPro. In the meantime, we are screwed. 

5 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

The reason which he does not say in his video but I know is 422. HVEC is supported by latest hardware but not HVEC 422 so it’s like at the beginning of the HVEC codec when hardware acceleration was not supported. 
Your 15K computer cannot edit the footage, but within a year or 2 when computers support 10 bit 422 HVEC correctly a 1000$ laptop will edit it better than your MacPro. In the meantime, we are screwed. 

To be fair, 4:2:2 chroma subsampling in internal recording is generally welcome and overdue (if it came in a non-overheating camera...).

While current GPU can't decode the material, you can still help yourself by transcoding to ProRes or DNxHR, respectively using render cache/Proxy workflows within NLEs. 

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

DEALBREAKER ALERT. A 15000$ 2020 MAC PRO cannot play back in real time the R5 footage. Does not matter Premiere Pro Resolve, FCPX. Nothing works even 4K30p won’t play in a high end 2020 MacbookPro. 

That's my impression - we're still in the early days of h265 hardware support permeating through all the hardware and then that hardware support permeating into all the software so it gets used.

It makes sense that h265 would be the topic of the day and we'd gradually get our act together because....... h266 has just been released!

So basically you're saying - we should all buy an R5 so we can get in on the class action lawsuit? JK

I honestly doubt there will be a successful lawsuit because canon has been pretty up-front about documenting the manner of overheating. They have covered their ass after showing it. And I read a lot of people saying they'll be happy to steal extra shots with the camera or use it for photography and get the occasional video clip. It has a purpose even if it won't do what i want

• Administrators

https://www.eoshd.com/opinion/opinion-canon-r6-and-r5-heat-problems-risk-full-product-recall-class-action-lawsuit/

Looking at the internal circuit layout, it's amazing how many hot components Canon put close together.

CFExpress media is almost backed into the image processor.

The image processor is surrounded on both sides by what appears to be RAM.

Behind that circuit board is the warm LCD backlighting when flush to the body.

In front of the circuit is the warm sensor.

There is literally nowhere for all the heat to go and worst of all it is centrally concentrated on the most thermally critical piece, the DIGIC X CPU in the centre.

Without even a thin copper heat sink or slim heat pipe (like in a high end smartphone), there is no way of guiding the heat away from the critical components like the CPU.

It really is no surprise then, if the camera is borderline defective.

EOS-R5-DIGIC-X.jpg

• Administrators

Internal casing views. It looks like thermal pads conduct onto flat moulded surfaces for each chipset, on the magnesium alloy body itself which isn't a good conductor. There is a reason why PC CPU heatsinks are copper or aluminium and even smartphones contain copper.

EOS R5 internal casing.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The exemples in your article are absolutely pointless. You say the overheating scandale is like if a car would overheat and stops on the highway so you compare features that exist in any competition product for dozens of year (a car going on the highway, all cars can do that) with a ground breaking features of the R5 that exist nowhere on the market. No camera this size and price in the world today shoots 4K120P full frame 10 bit 422. It’s unheard off.
A7RIV, the Sony flagship, does not overheat because its only video mode is the R5 normal 4K mode, which doesn’t overheat at all, yet on top the Canon has 10 bits and still beats BY FAR the A7RIV with just the non overheating normal 4K mode (10 bits, better ibis, better colors, better ergonomics). 
So to take your exemple, it’s like having the best car on the market on most points, and have an extra bonus boost mode that gives you 0-100kmh in one second but only usable for 20min. 
Guess what? It exists and it’s called Ludicrous mode on tesla, a $20K option and that overheats the car after a few accelerations.... Nobody sued Tesla and people paid for that option on the Model S.

They call it autonomy ; ) Reason why I didn't buy an electric car yet. Without mention, an used car using gas can beat a similar one of 2020, electric cars outdate is much more critical.

Let alone the price range, go figure a Tesla! Pardon me, but in the mirrorless world, such example is even funny... ; )

Ah, and Trump doesn't care a bit for climate issues, so my contribution would only end unfortunately too little...

Ok.... look... if you're a professional and you are looking to replace your C200 with this.... don't...

I have a feeling they released this thing to shut the naysayers only to put their own foot in their own mouths.

With that said, apparently the XT4 overheats too? Anybody that has the XT4 - willing to comment? I mean I got it from this video:

Not saying that Tony Northrup is any sort of expert in anything in my opinion, but I felt he was pretty unbiased in this video.

I said it before, and I will say it again. Its a hybrid, and perfect for B-roll footage (nothing else).