Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, socs said:

Not to get too off topic but you mentioned the blackmagic micro cinema camera.   Everytime I use it I think I should just throw all my other cameras (z6, xt3, etc) in the trash.  For me too it has the best look to it by far.  But, you really have to work to use that camera with all of it's quirks.  Folks say you can soften modern cameras in post, but I've never seen good examples of that to match something like the bmmcc.

I wish BM or another co. would just package that same sensor into a newer body with all the ergonomics and battery life of a modern cam.

@socs @crevice Sorry just had to chime and I say agree with you both. Have almost picked up a Micro so many times but I’m afraid the usability would slow me down. Just wish for an updated camera with that same sensor. ?

1 hour ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

More motion blur? What if you put the shutter speed a bit lower on the pocket to compensate? 

I'm talking about 120hz on your computer monitor and being able to playback 6K footage.

31 minutes ago, crevice said:

Possible. But again, I think my point is simply the eye test. I prefer the image straight out the camera with a quick grade more on the micro cinema than the pocket or any other camera in the price range. Im sure you can add Pro mist, more motion blur, vintage glass, film grain, etc. to get it close. 

All footage from the P6K has had better motion cadence then the P4K.  Can you post your P6K footage?

Part of good cadence is how well the sensor is scanned.  That's why global shuttler sensors look so good.

43 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

100% agree with last Andrew post. For me personally no point in a small camera that needs a rig. IBIS, EVF, good video AF are must for me. 

For people who rig their camera anyway and don’t care about the above, the specs are great for the price.

I think they also took the easy route and used the EF mount which I think was a huge mistake. 

18 months from now will be another BM camera with 8K and a better, more sensible, mount.

IMHO, this 6K camera is a resolution numbers camera released to meet a moment.

When comparing against Canon this is a good point. For those heavily invested in EF glass its definitely not a bad buy at all, especially if you desire 6k. 

At this point the Pocket 4k is still high on my radar, getting the Pocket 6k isn't whatsoever. The 4k is a sweet spot in terms of resolution for me. Something with IBIS and great AF would definitely catch my interest though, or at least one of those. That perfect camera is getting close to being real. 

Yup, you know how many Ursa Pro owners are so happy right now that they have a B-Cam for their EF glass without having to putz around with huge clunky adapters?

I get the appeal of a mirrorless mount and a speedbooster and the argument in favor of it is very valid but to say that the EF Mount was a huge mistake doesn’t really align with the majority of shooters the camera is marketed to.

27 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yup, you know how many Ursa Pro owners are so happy right now that they have a B-Cam for their EF glass without having to putz around with huge clunky adapters?

I get the appeal of a mirrorless mount and a speedbooster and the argument in favor of it is very valid but to say that the EF Mount was a huge mistake doesn’t really align with the majority of shooters the camera is marketed to.

This the greatness of BM, with 2 cameras they are covering most bases with the minimum cost possible (for both them and us).

That's a brilliant strategy.

I do not like adapters at all, but the possibilities of an P4K causes a lot of thoughts, especially when a good m43 zoom on one, is half the weight and smaller than a similar EF combo.

I always had issues with low light performance of m43 cameras, even GH5, but this sensor diminishes if not all, most of these worries.

BM creates the possibility of owning a lot of cheaper cameras instead of 1 very expensive like was the norm for so many decades.

9 hours ago, Django said:

One thing RED did right to outsmart BM is use RF mount: future-proof, allows numerous adapters including canons Vari-ND adatper..etc

All new Canon mount cams should go RF imo.

BM released last year the M4/3 BMPCC4K

BM releases this year the EF BMPCC6K

BM could surely release next year another BMPCCXK with RF or L mount

According to how many users NOW own EF lenses and how many users NOW own RF lenses the movement is VERY SMART.

Next year is another matter....There is no future proof with BM (anyway we don't pay a fortune so buy one more camera is affordable)

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

@socs @crevice Sorry just had to chime and I say agree with you both. Have almost picked up a Micro so many times but I’m afraid the usability would slow me down. Just wish for an updated camera with that same sensor. ?

Patrick - you really shouldn't let the usability turn you away - the only must have is an external monitor - if you have that already, there is no reason to not buy one for how cheap they area. If you need more info or have questions, just send me a PM and I can help assist. 

1 hour ago, crevice said:

Patrick - you really shouldn't let the usability turn you away - the only must have is an external monitor - if you have that already, there is no reason to not buy one for how cheap they area. If you need more info or have questions, just send me a PM and I can help assist. 

Thanks! I’m eyeing one on eBay with the One Little Remote v1 ?

What would have been smart is a really short flange distance and a BM mount with adapters for EF, PL, and RF or even Z. The adapters could be dumb, have glass, or a ND insert. The camera could fit into any set with whatever glass is being used, la la Kinefinity. 

BM makes more money while supporting almost any setup under the sun at an unbeatable price with a great UI and BRAW. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

Huge chunky adaptors? Now BMD have added that 'hugeness' to the camera by elongating the body to accomodate the mount and it's not removable.

To each their own I suppose but I don't quite get it. 

I'll say it again but BMD, if you're listening, a new mount is required. You are already in the business of making mounts and adaptors so why not make up your own mount that will accommodate many different lenses via adaptors or swappable mounts. You may even make a little more money as people will invest in a few different mounts.

• Super Members
11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe it's a patents exchange. RED probably allowed Canon to carry on providing RAW.

Erm...

The new video from Jinnitech thats come out tonight about those patents has...well...

Obviously have to be careful regarding discussing anything about RED in that regard but if (and its a big if) its as he claims then I'll just have to use this image again

5be4b706-e113-4c98-85fb-e80126f9b01b.jpg.939a255aec92907c6cf090c642457964.jpg

I've been thinking the same thing. The EF mount, though incredibly popular, just isn't a modern mount and therefore does not allow all of the awesome things that short flange distance mounts do (Variable NDs, Speedboosters, tons of adaptability, etc).

If Canon's GIANT lens collection is lacking anywhere, it is definitely in the high-quality, APS-C/Super35 lens category. The 18-80mm t4.4 is an amazing lens, but slow and also $4500. The 17-55mm f2.8 is fine, but sort of cheap and the focus ring is very subpar. Canon has ZERO lightweight primes with equivalent full-frame FOV at any focal length. Yes, you can use all of their full-frame lenses, but I'd much rather have the size, performance, and focal lengths of the X-Mount Fuji series than anything in Canon's full-frame lens lineup for the Pocket 6k. The only great lens (Sigma 18-35mm f1.8) isn't made by Canon and doesn't have stabilization. 

Also, no BM Raw at 4k?! That's crazy too. So you have to deal with double the file sizes for 6K even when you only need 4k. 

I think the Pocket 4K is a way better option because:
- it's half the cost
- With a speedbooster, you can get a 1.2x crop rather than 1.6x crop
- You can shoot BM Raw in 4K, which I think is still the best quality vs file size combo this side of RedCode. 
- You have the option to use small, lightweight MFT lenses on it if you wish
- You can adapter pretty much any lens ever made
- The Panasonic 10-25mm f1.7 may be the best stick-it-on and never take it off lens for either of these two cameras. 

If the Pocket 4K had the RF Mount, then that would be a different story as you could have a variable ND on there with the Canon adapter and that's very awesome. Red is definitely getting it right with Komodo with the RF Mount and battery solution - very smart and BM should take note (though the Red will be 2-3x the cost). 

"Blackmagic Pocket 6K - No ProRes in 6k"

@Andrew it is really surprising me how many people do not read the specs of a camera before buying! I listed the record resolutions and Codecs many pages back and stated that there was no 6K ProRes modes and No 4K Braw mode. I am now hearing from multiple buyers that have bought the camera that they are just noticing these rather limiting issues once they get the camera in their hands

I mean...... seriously, on what basis are people buying cameras these days if the most important elements are overlooked?

Strange.

EDIT: Sorry my bad, I should know better. 'Social Influencers' buy shit quickly to be the first to put videos up. Of course, it makes perfect sense....most people who actually use these cameras for what they are designed for probably do do their homework. ?‍♀️

2 minutes ago, A_Urquhart said:

"Blackmagic Pocket 6K - No ProRes in 6k"

@Andrew it is really surprising me how many people do not read the specs of a camera before buying! I listed the record resolutions and Codecs many pages back and stated that there was no 6K ProRes modes and No 4K Braw mode. I am now hearing from multiple buyers that have bought the camera that they are just noticing these rather limiting issues once they get the camera in their hands

I mean...... seriously, on what basis are people buying cameras these days if the most important elements are overlooked?

Strange.

GAS