Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, newfoundmass said:

With the price reduction it's really tempting but the cost of lenses is just way too hard to swallow. 

I'm so impressed with the stabilization. What a feat, really. 

The UK deal with the FW upgrade + MC-11 adapter made me switch. The image is very gorgeous, but the autofocus is is rubbish with the Canon USM lenses. 

6 hours ago, arson519 said:

So the S1 does not have Ex tele conv mode for video? because i cant find it this is what made the GH5 so good

Right, ExTeleconv doesn't work in video. You can read it in the manual, page 122, the icon "video" is greyed : https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S1/P_PP/DC-S1_DVQP1869ZB_full_web_eng.pdf

@Parker is right, you can set a crop mode, but the Ex. tele Conv, as in the GH5/G9 and Sony cameras doesn't work in video. It is really a big downside for me, as it was a strong selling point when I bought it, and I think I read the manual too quickly ? I wanted to use small and lightweight tele lenses, like the Canon 200 f2.8 or Samyang 135f2 (or zooms like the Sigma 100-400) and, by combining crop mode + ext tele conv, almost reach 400mm, with the brilliant IBIS....

I hope for a future firmware update to change that.

34 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

Right, ExTeleconv doesn't work in video. You can read it in the manual, page 122, the icon "video" is greyed : https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S1/P_PP/DC-S1_DVQP1869ZB_full_web_eng.pdf

@Parker is right, you can set a crop mode, but the Ex. tele Conv, as in the GH5/G9 and Sony cameras doesn't work in video. It is really a big downside for me, as it was a strong selling point when I bought it, and I think I read the manual too quickly ? I wanted to use small and lightweight tele lenses, like the Canon 200 f2.8 or Samyang 135f2 (or zooms like the Sigma 100-400) and, by combining crop mode + ext tele conv, almost reach 400mm, with the brilliant IBIS....

I hope for a future firmware update to change that.

Doesn't [Image Area of Video] (page 238) do the same as [Ex.Tele Conv] for video? - note the [Pixel/Pixel] setting which it implies takes a 1:1 crop from the sensor equal to the selected video resolution, see the picture on page 239.

This sounds very like how the Pana micro-4/3 camera [Ex.Tele Conv] works for video.

(I don't own the camera, I'm just reading the manual)

5 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Doesn't [Image Area of Video] (page 238) do the same as [Ex.Tele Conv] for video - note the [Pixel/Pixel] setting?

(I don't own the camera, I'm just reading the manual)

Yes, I did not mention it, because it is not available in 4K ("When the following functions are being used, [PIXEL/PIXEL] is not available:– 4K Video– [High Speed Video]").

So, I wonder if it wouldn't be the same to record in 4K crop mode, and then crop again while editing. I will try that !

Can anyone here with an S1 do some aliassing / moiré tests? Take some of your blouses / shirts / jackets with very fine texture patterns and shoot it to see if you can get it to moiré?

I had 2 S1 bodies, kept 1 for photography, and it was very bad on both of them. Now, I shoot weddings so I see a lot of people in jackets and suits with fine patterns but I saw it on many people's clothes. Including 2 grooms in 2 weddings...

But, most people aren't talking about this. It seems like I am the only one complaining about this stuff. So, what is going on? Could be good if other people did some tests or pixel peeped more to see if there is strong aliassing or moiré in their shots :) Thanks

3 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

The UK deal with the FW upgrade + MC-11 adapter made me switch. The image is very gorgeous, but the autofocus is is rubbish with the Canon USM lenses. 

@funkyou86 and other MC21 owners : could you check your electronic contactors of your EF lenses you use with the adapter please ? I posted some days ago in the "lenses" thread, because my lenses got damaged. I believe it comes from the MC21 adapter ; mine may be defective...

5 minutes ago, Geoff_L said:

@funkyou86 and other MC21 owners : could you check your electronic contactors of your EF lenses you use with the adapter please ? I posted some days ago in the "lenses" thread, because my lenses got damaged. I believe it comes from the MC21 adapter ; mine may be defective...

Just checked my brand new 50mm STM and my 85mm USM and they are fine. If it's from the adapter, you might want to get in touch with Panasonic reps.

5 hours ago, nathlas said:

What price reduction ? On which coast ? 

Is that permanent or just a boost before IBC ?

The S1 is $300 cheaper right now in the US (maybe elsewhere too?) I'm not sure though if it's permanent. 

4 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger. It's nice to be able to adapt lenses but I'd like to have some decent afford native lenses to use too. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger. It's nice to be able to adapt lenses but I'd like to have some decent afford native lenses to use too. 

You’ll probably have them by the end of 2020. Plus a compact L-mount cinema camera from Sigma and, hopefully, something special from Panny in the S1H.

7 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

You’ll probably have them by the end of 2020. Plus a compact L-mount cinema camera from Sigma and, hopefully, something special from Panny in the S1H.

Which is why ultimately I'll probably wait until the end of 2020 :)

7 hours ago, Vision said:

Am in two minds keeping my gh5 with gh5s or sell and move to fullframe S1 ? the only thing is there are only few native lenses to pick from pana and they cost leg & arm 

I think keeping them is the smarter move for now unless you're in a position where you need to "upgrade." Better to see how things play out I think. 

12 hours ago, Stab said:

Can anyone here with an S1 do some aliassing / moiré tests? Take some of your blouses / shirts / jackets with very fine texture patterns and shoot it to see if you can get it to moiré?

I had 2 S1 bodies, kept 1 for photography, and it was very bad on both of them. Now, I shoot weddings so I see a lot of people in jackets and suits with fine patterns but I saw it on many people's clothes. Including 2 grooms in 2 weddings...

But, most people aren't talking about this. It seems like I am the only one complaining about this stuff. So, what is going on? Could be good if other people did some tests or pixel peeped more to see if there is strong aliassing or moiré in their shots :) Thanks

That's unfortunate, I wonder if a filter could be installed to fix that issue. I am guessing they left that out for greater stills image quality. Hopefully it'll be different on the S1H

14 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

That's unfortunate, I wonder if a filter could be installed to fix that issue. I am guessing they left that out for greater stills image quality. Hopefully it'll be different on the S1H

On 8/21/2019 at 12:33 PM, Stab said:

I don't know, but I have yet to see any moiré or aliasing on my S1, even on difficult fabric and when shooting in 4k 60p. I think that's the reason why most people don't talk about this to be honest, since it's no more prevalent than on my X-T3 or Z6. I am however shooting with a tiffen black pro mist but I doubt that would negate or cover up a severe issue with aforementioned problems.

Anyone has a spare V-Log code atm?
Can send another one back once I receive mine which according to the Panasonic page may take up to 4 weeks?
Will have do a project next week in Egypt and really want to use the camera for video as well. The IBIS is amazing!

Just tried HLG on my new S1 and it looks plasticky, even with sharpening and NR dialed all the way down. I wonder wether Flat is the better choice for now. Atm I would rather choose my Pocket 4K for that job.