Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

B&H is taking forever to ship me my VLOG code, I really hate this stupid system that Panasonic has cooked up with mailing actual, physical software codes. 

HLG is working fine for me in 24p at the moment, but I'm still using the GH5 for anything 60p, because even with a cinelike d profile dialed in for maximum gradability the dynamic range is just not there. 

I am curious to see if the full vlog curve has any adverse issues in 8-bit 60p compared to the vlog-L curve on the GH5. 

@Simon Young Why are you selling? Find something else that seems better? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Parker said:

B&H is taking forever to ship me my VLOG code, I really hate this stupid system that Panasonic has cooked up with mailing actual, physical software codes. 

HLG is working fine for me in 24p at the moment, but I'm still using the GH5 for anything 60p, because even with a cinelike d profile dialed in for maximum gradability the dynamic range is just not there. 

I am curious to see if the full vlog curve has any adverse issues in 8-bit 60p compared to the vlog-L curve on the GH5. 

@Simon Young Why are you selling? Find something else that seems better? 

Yeah the system is cumbersome to say the least, but here in Sweden we got the vlog activation code online. I’m selling because it’s simply too big of a camera for what I do.

2 minutes ago, Simon Young said:

we got the vlog activation code online

I have to wait like 4 weeks for a physical box to arrive here.
Already received like three emails by Panasonic lol

Why is it that hard to send the code online? Really don't get it...

On 8/21/2019 at 4:26 AM, Geoff_L said:

Right, ExTeleconv doesn't work in video. You can read it in the manual, page 122, the icon "video" is greyed : https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DC-S1/P_PP/DC-S1_DVQP1869ZB_full_web_eng.pdf

@Parker is right, you can set a crop mode, but the Ex. tele Conv, as in the GH5/G9 and Sony cameras doesn't work in video. It is really a big downside for me, as it was a strong selling point when I bought it, and I think I read the manual too quickly ? I wanted to use small and lightweight tele lenses, like the Canon 200 f2.8 or Samyang 135f2 (or zooms like the Sigma 100-400) and, by combining crop mode + ext tele conv, almost reach 400mm, with the brilliant IBIS....

I hope for a future firmware update to change that.

OMG please panasonic give us this. I thought for sure the S1 would have this

OK, I received my VLOG yesterday and just installed it (it took 2 weeks for the process, from the day I filled the form to yesterday ; in France, Panasonic directly send you the box) . And, to make things more fun, I had an issue ahah ?
I was testing different modes in my apartment, to check if my Sandisk 95MB could handle everything : 4k24, 30, 60 etc. While filming inside with no issue, I pointed the camera outside, through my windows and, suddenly, the screen went crazy as in the attached image ! I changed the wheel mode to A or P and tried a photo, and it was the same + lag and freezes. I turned the camera off, and now it seems OK. I found another one with, I believe, a close issue : https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/4418385

I did not format the card after the update process, maybe it could be related... I will be cautious and watch out if it reappears !
Anyway, happy to finally having installed it ! First time I use vector scopes for recording, and I love it !

20190823_083137.jpg

Edit : grammar and orthography to prevent your eyes from bleeding too much !

11 hours ago, deezid said:

I would have understand that in the 90s, but that was like 20 years ago.

I suppose they do it the physical way to avoid or to at least render it a lot harder to hack the camera into having the vlog for free. Since the vlog update is only software and not hardware related, having a physical step in the process is probably the safest way for panasonic to protect its software. Softwares sooner or later can all be hacked, be it magic lantern, adobe package, capture one, windows, etc.

The logistics of selling digital products through distributors and then retailers is by no means a solved problem - everyone wants their cut and is afraid of setting a precedent. The distributors know their business is dieing, there are so few camera shops now that the manufacturers could take on selling directly to retailers quite easily but the distributors are fighting tooth and nail to keep their businesses alive. Like a fungal nail infection that just won't go away ?

2 hours ago, funkyou86 said:

Hey folks,

I made a quick test comparing the BMPCC 4K with the S1 V-Log. Here are my thoughts with the sample clips :)  

It was a quicky, so do not take that a professional reference, but you can play with the footages in resolve to see how they hold up against each other.

What were the settings on the S1 for this ? The S1 looks too sharp, to me, in comparison to the BMPCC 4K but they both look really, really good! Dancing on the head of a pin.

26 minutes ago, Otago said:

The logistics of selling digital products through distributors and then retailers is by no means a solved problem - everyone wants their cut and is afraid of setting a precedent. The distributors know their business is dieing, there are so few camera shops now that the manufacturers could take on selling directly to retailers quite easily but the distributors are fighting tooth and nail to keep their businesses alive. Like a fungal nail infection that just won't go away ?

What were the settings on the S1 for this ? The S1 looks too sharp, to me, in comparison to the BMPCC 4K but they both look really, really good! Dancing on the head of a pin.

Base ISO of 640, Sharpening an NR at 0.

50 minutes ago, Patrick B. said:

@funkyou86 thanks for posting that! I have the S1 but not the Pocket. Which camera is on the left? That frame grab seemed to have a little more highlight info and/or smoother roll off in the window. 

The left one is the S1, the right one is the Pocket (you can spot easily, because it's "cropped", aka 4K DCI).

Download the sample clips and try to push your own grade to it's limits. I'm not a colorist, just quickly graded these two clips :) After I uploaded them, I noticed that I pushed the Pocket highlights a bit too much. The braw has the information (highlights max at 80 IRE) but the brightest parts of the screengrabs are over 100 IRE. 

I only had the Pocket on one shoot and got the V-log license yesterday ? So, I will upload more sample clips probably so everyone can get the idea what are these two toys capable of. 

20 minutes ago, Otago said:

Does it go lower than that ? If you're bored it would be nice to see what a range of setting do to the image - but only if it would be useful to you obviously! 

Nope, 640 is the lowest you can go with the V-log. 

I will do some more detailed test (V-log vs. HLG as well) and upload everything to my blog, but I have a shoot next week and I have to prep.