Panasonic S1 V-LOG -- New image quality king of the hill

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think this is genuinely a HUGE step.

Rarely, do we get such a big leap out of nowhere like this. I've never felt like any other camera was anything other than just good, or expected in 2019. This is different. It's like having a full frame Pocket 4K with nobs on... from the future.

This image sits in the cinema world, not the video one.

I've shot some S1 10bit V-LOG with it this weekend. Here's a frame:

1D1A6808_3.jpg

1D1A6808_2.jpg

Compared to the X-T3 10bit F-LOG, dynamic range seems wider and shadows cleaner. Image is creamier, and less noisy at high ISOs. Base ISO is 640 in V-LOG, but extended ISO can go a bit lower.

Compared to A7 III S-LOG 2/3, the codec is far more robust, less banding and compression, it looks like ProRes.

I'll upload the original MOV files soon.

More. This is like someone taking a plate away, after offering a tiny little bite. 

I sold my Canon mk3 with Magic lantern 14 bits raw, that was working great, to get this camera.

My main reasons to upgrade to the S1 are better lowlight, IBIS and 10 bit Vlog.

I'm hoping the vlog workflow will be easier on storage than my previous raw workflow.

I just have to remember to nail the white balance. that was never an issue with raw.

It seems like my choice is paying off. Will get firmware key next week.  Looking forward to any more footage.

I saw a video that was posted by Wex Photo Video and was seriously impressed. I think we have finally made it to true 14 stop mirrorless cameras (in video). The "Varicam Look" is starting to grow on me as well. ?

Read an article on Newshooter "Panasonic told us at Cinegear that their strategy is to unify the Varicam, EVA1, and Lumix divisions and try and bring them all closer together."

• Administrators

Magenta in the WEX video 100% a result of their grade. Aggressive NR is = YouTube's compression.

So here are some ORIGINAL files to play with straight off my card. 1.4GB's worth.

https://we.tl/t-rELYefyjCr

These are 10bit 422 V-LOG / V-Gamut on default settings. I recommend avoiding VLC Player to look at these especially on a Mac. Messes up the gamma curve. They won't play in Quicktime either. Pop em in Resolve or your NLE of choice and give them a good LUT. I used Fuji's F-LOG to Eterna BT709 LUT which worked well and built in Premiere Arri Amira LUT in Premiere was a good match.

Lens: Nikon 55mm F1.2 AI with variable ND filter

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Magenta in the WEX video 100% a result of their grade. Aggressive NR is = YouTube's compression.

So here are some ORIGINAL files to play with straight off my card. 1.4GB's worth.

These are 10bit 422 V-LOG / V-Gamut on default settings. I recommend avoiding VLC Player to look at these especially on a Mac. Messes up the gamma curve. They won't play in Quicktime either. Pop em in Resolve or your NLE of choice and give them a good LUT. I used Fuji's F-LOG to Eterna BT709 LUT which worked well and built in Premiere Arri Amira LUT in Premiere was a good match.

Thanks a lot Andrew, will play with it this afternoon. What do you think about the IBIS ? From all the reviews I read and watched, they put it, for some, at the GH5 level, and even in the G9 league for others (I guess it is with dual IS and the 24-105).

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just watched them with Potplayer (Windows) and the footage is very pleasant and silky.  Color is hard to say without grading. Nice to see this move away from the over detailed Sony kind of image.

15 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Smooth no drops ( iPad Pro10.5 )

Its does give a yellow warning message that the file is not supported but I don't care it works well.

I'm seriously thinking about ditching laptops (macbook pros) for a latest iPad with iPadOS. Since they added external file folder support and external drive support with a proper USB-C port.

Can now just plug in a Samsung T5 drive and preview or even edit a video with lumafusion. It can handle 200Mbps HEVC files from the X-T3 without dropped frames whatsoever. This is so much better than a 15 macbook pro.

10 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

I saw a video that was posted by Wex Photo Video and was seriously impressed. I think we have finally made it to true 14 stop mirrorless cameras (in video). The "Varicam Look" is starting to grow on me as well. ?

Read an article on Newshooter "Panasonic told us at Cinegear that their strategy is to unify the Varicam, EVA1, and Lumix divisions and try and bring them all closer together."

I find the color grading quite terrible. Look at the clouds and the magenta tint everywhere.

1 minute ago, Video Hummus said:

I'm seriously thinking about ditching laptops (macbook pros) for a latest iPad with iPadOS. Since they added external file folder support and external drive support with a proper USB-C port.

Can now just plug in a Samsung T5 drive and preview or even edit a video with lumafusion. It can handle 200Mbps HEVC files from the X-T3 without dropped frames whatsoever. This is so much better than a 15 macbook pro.

Yes its nice, and with ios13 you can use a mouse too.

so add a mouse and keyboard and you have a nice portable editing station.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks awesome, and grades beautifully. Can we have low light and 1080p 120 10bit samples too?